FRAPS doesn't work, is there a build in FPS counter?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

taltamir

FRAPS doesn't work, is there a build in FPS counter?

Post by taltamir »

So, FRAPS simply doesn't work with distant worlds, is there some built in FPS counter I can use?
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
taltamir

RE: FRAPS doesn't work, is there a build in FPS counter?

Post by taltamir »

wait, if i tell it to "Monitor Aero desktop (DWM)" and then switch to Distant Worlds it seem to get a reading.
Interesting

Post by Interesting »

I noticed that too.
Ranbir

Post by Ranbir »

It doesn't make for good video capture though, only managing to capture at 20 fps or lower.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

it captures the difference though... without it i got ~5 fps zoomed out, ~30 zoomed in... with it 4 fps zoomed out, 22 zoomed in.
it shows the issue i was trying to show where zooming out produces a lot of lag... and the issue with the animated "pings" for items of interest
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Yeah, the zooming-lag is noticeable on my machine, too. It's not that big a deal, but I kinda cringe every time I zoom out.
Nabobalis

Post by Nabobalis »

Is there a reason Fraps won't monitor the FPS normally?
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

the game seems to be in window mode natively. Fraps monitors "full screen" DirectX...
the problem with full screen though is that it completely unloads the desktop, and it needs to hand off control of output between the two... result? alt tabbing (or pressing the windows button) takes a while and tends to crash games or cause other issues. The only advantage of it is that by using it you save a few MB of ram... that used to be a big deal 10 years ago but nowadays its utterly and completely stupid and pointless to make a game "full screen" when you can make it a borderless window. Many games now work in borderless window mode correctly, for example, world of warcraft.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

As far as performance goes, make sure you read the suggestions in the Tech Support FAQ in the Tech Support sub-forum. Also, the 1.0.3 update improved performance and the ability to filter out certain ship types at high zoom levels in 1.0.4 should help as well.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ypsylon

Post by ypsylon »

It is the system fault (Vista/W7), well not fault. It is a bad word. It is V/W7 architecture. Both are completely different when it comes to FRAPS when compared to XP.

I had few times same problem. Everything bang in order under XP (I still have 1 workstation) but under V/W7 it usually ends in tears. Not only games. Capturing with FRAPS anything which runs in a window (no matter with border or border-less) doesn't work under V/W7 (usually).

Must finally test FRAPS on virtual machine XP under W7. I doing this for some months now and I always forget... (*writing down another note about this* maybe this time).[:'(]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”