Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vector to show destination of ship on map?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Vector to show destination of ship on map? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 2:19:58 AM   
Malevolence

Is there some option I am missing to show a destination vector for a ship/fleet when I select it?

I see the unit highlighted in space, but I don't see a line extending toward it's destination or anything representing its queue of missions (path). Yes, I know I can read the current mission in the summary window, but when that summary is "explore an unknown star system" that really doesn't tell me much.

Post #: 1
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 2:50:45 AM   
freeboy

something forthe wish list I think and the eta that is so needed

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 2
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 3:11:39 AM   
Davor

No we don't have that option right now. Try going in the wish list thread stickied at the top and suggest it there.

I would like an option for one ship at a time or fleet. I hate to see 1000 ships and then all those vectors all at once.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 2:29:44 PM   
Wade1000

-For every ship or fleet on the zoomed out map we could have a little line, triangle or arrow pointing in its general direction of movement. This will help while paused and considering strategic decisions.

Then, when we select a ship or fleet a line will show to it's destination and the estimated time of arrival.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 4/4/2010 2:31:24 PM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Davor)
Post #: 4
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 4:01:03 PM   
Deto

I'd prefer only seeing your selected ships with destination vector, and approaching enemy vessels (who's destination is detected and known and approaching your colony), else it'll easily become cluttered :)

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 5
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 5:28:43 PM   
Malevolence

I agree... display only the vector of selected unit/fleet. That would be for enemy/neutral/allied units as well. When I select it, I see it's vector (direction/velocity) as a line extending in the direction of travel.

(in reply to Deto)
Post #: 6
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 5:35:17 PM   
idgar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

I agree... display only the vector of selected unit/fleet. That would be for enemy/neutral/allied units as well. When I select it, I see it's vector (direction/velocity) as a line extending in the direction of travel.

Agreed as well.

About enemy fleets I think you get a red vector showing if they are on the way to one of your colonies if you are at war with them have used spies to steal their operations maps. When you do that you see the locations and orders for all the race's ships and fleets for a while. (30 seconds?)

I've seen the red vector/arrow a few times, but I'm not 100% sure it's stealing the operations map that enables them.

< Message edited by idgar -- 4/4/2010 5:36:23 PM >

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 7
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 4/4/2010 6:23:16 PM   
Wade1000

It's good if spying allows additional information but scanners should also detect direction of movement.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to idgar)
Post #: 8
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 5/7/2010 3:48:07 AM   
Keston

I thought I was just missing how to turn on flight paths, which seems like an essential feature, particularly for a game of this depth - so how DO we figure out where the ship is going when the only info is a system, planet, ship or other thing and you need to hunt for it? 

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 9
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 5/7/2010 5:42:43 AM   
Dadekster

Agreed. I'd like to see a feature like that added if possible with the suggestions of only current ship/fleet selected.

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 10
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 5/7/2010 6:37:40 AM   
Fishman

It'd be handy if simply clicking the ship's "mission target" doing in its infobox takes you to its mission target, so if it says "Move To X Thingummy", and you click that text, it moves your camera to the thingummy.

(in reply to Dadekster)
Post #: 11
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 5/7/2010 8:44:32 PM   
Grotius

I'd also like to see the flight path of the selected ship. I find myself constantly wishing I could see it.

And while I agree I wouldn't want to see ALL ships' flight paths by default, it might be nice (but not essential) to have a separate toggle to view all flight paths.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 12
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 5/7/2010 9:40:26 PM   
beserko

Hate to plug another product but if Sword of the Stars can do it(fleets in transit, enemy attacking. ect ect) then  Distant Worlds can do it better!

as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns—there are things we do not know we don't know."

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 13
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 5/7/2010 9:48:03 PM   
taltamir

Sword of the stars is a turn based game...

that being said, there is no reason to think distant worlds couldn't do it. It is a fairly simple thing to draw.

As for which ships I want to see...
When I select a ship, I want to see its vector. I wouldn't want to see ALL ship's vectors.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/7/2010 9:49:49 PM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to beserko)
Post #: 14
RE: Vector to show destination of ship on map? - 5/7/2010 9:56:58 PM   
Rustyallan

quote:

As for which ships I want to see...
When I select a ship, I want to see its vector. I wouldn't want to see ALL ship's vectors.

All ship vectors would definite cause some problems. You wouldn't be able to see any stars. I agree though, I've spent too much time trying to figure out where XX ship is and where it's going. A vector line would make it a bit more visible at the sector/galaxy level.

Fleet vector lines is listed as a priority on the compiled wishlist, but I don't see selected ship vector lines listed. This should probably be added to the master wishlist thread.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Vector to show destination of ship on map? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI