I wanna change the weapon systems.
Let there be more classes...
Beam Weapons (these weapons only need energy to fire)
- Lasers, Phasers, Grasers, Xasers, ETCasers...
Kinetic Weapons (cannons only need ammunition to fire, and the other ones a bit of energy)
- Mass drivers, cannons, Railguns, Coilguns...
Missile Weapons (only ammunition)
- Guided missiles, which have a 100% hit chance, but can be shot down by point defense or fooled by electronic counter measures
Torpedo Weapons (only ammunition)
- Unguided Rockets, huge damage, but they have to hit.
Bombardment Weapons (only ammunition, and only planets are targetable)
- All kinds of bombs. Nuclear, Chemical, Biological, and other futuristic ones.
Point Defense Weapons (only energy, as lasers are best used for point defense)
- Short range, fast firing, small guns that shoot down fighters (which i would implent too) and missiles
I would also add customized weapons.
lets say you want to put kinetic weapons on your ship.
you can decide to have 10 small cannons, firing fast, having much ammunition, or 1 big cannon, which fires slow, has less ammunition because it needs storage for that, but does high damage. also the speed is different, as the bigger mass has to be accelerated by the gasses/electromagnet field.
so you can have a frigate, which is fast and lots of small guns as police frigate to fight of pirates.
size of the weapons itself are balancing it out.
and this for every weapon, for missiles you can have many small ones, which have a higher percentage of survival of point defense, but smaller range and damage.
the tech levels would only increase the miniaturization by changing the type of weapon.
for example, a rail gun only needs the projectile without the gunpowder, thus increasing ammunition
Some more ship classes wouldnt hurt either like carrier craft, and fighters.