Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moaners

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Moaners Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moaners - 3/29/2010 10:17:20 AM   
wodin

Browsing game forums I've decided that on the whole they are full of people who like to moan....moan about this moan about that...starting to get me down...I thought this hobby was about having fun...entertainment...seems the slightest thing will set someone off...the most annoying moan to me is when its about graphics...for me its all about fun, playability, depth and longegevity (sorry about the spelling)....graphics are last on the list, if the game has all the other attributes...good graphics mean nothing to me in the end. Also good graphics in say a 3d shooter and good graphics in a wargame are two totally different things as the graphics require different styles...this never seems to be taken into account either.

Just thought I'd moan about it...

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/29/2010 10:23:29 AM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 1
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 10:26:17 AM   
Punk Reaper

love irony

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 10:31:53 AM   
JudgeDredd

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Punk Reaper)
Post #: 3
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 10:46:50 AM   
BASB

Now we have people who can't spell moaning about moaning to moan about

< Message edited by BASB -- 3/29/2010 10:48:33 AM >

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 11:06:25 AM   
Chris Merchant

I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not! But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am.

(in reply to BASB)
Post #: 5
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 11:10:49 AM   
Yogi the Great

Not all moaning is bad!

(in reply to Chris Merchant)
Post #: 6
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 1:22:52 PM   
hgilmer3

I thought this was going to be about sex 

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 7
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 2:53:41 PM   
apathetic lurker

it is..but the PC po-po are out cruisin' so we have to be on the down low.......

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 8
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 3:06:48 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Browsing game forums I've decided that on the whole they are full of people who like to moan....moan about this moan about that...starting to get me down...I thought this hobby was about having fun...entertainment...seems the slightest thing will set someone off...the most annoying moan to me is when its about graphics...for me its all about fun, playability, depth and longegevity (sorry about the spelling)....graphics are last on the list, if the game has all the other attributes...good graphics mean nothing to me in the end. Also good graphics in say a 3d shooter and good graphics in a wargame are two totally different things as the graphics require different styles...this never seems to be taken into account either.

Just thought I'd moan about it...

Interesting post, Wodin. One that I wish more people would take to heart. But I disagree with you that a majority of the posts on the Matrix Games forums are of a "moaning" or "whining" nature. In the fifteen or so years that I've been a participant of online forums, I would submit that this forum is by far one of the most mature and respectful forums out there.

As to "graphics moaners", I think that's just a matter of opinion. One man's moan about graphics, is another man's reasonable criticism. I'm certainly guilty of moaning/whining about the lack of widescreen support in Western Civilization Software's excellent games, but I understand that they were developed on an older game engine.

That being said, if enough of us moan about lack of widescreen support, you can bet they will listen and make sure it is included in the future.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 3:21:23 PM   
Jevhaddah

What I want to moan about is peeps that type 'loose' instead of 'lose' when they have lost something..

As in... "Don't lose your sense of humour just loosen up a bit."

I'll get my coat

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Slick Wilhelm)
Post #: 10
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 3:36:54 PM   
Wade1000

Graphics and good art ARE a large part of entertainment for most people. I accept it and I do appreciate good graphics and art. I know that gameplay is very important to keep the a game viable to a large market; but so are graphics and art.
The gameplay and graphics together make a game stronger than just one alone.

Other forms of entertainment apply also. Movies, for example, are often more popular("better" is really a term of opinion applied to popularity)if they have both good acting AND settings/visuals/graphics.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 11
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 3:42:17 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

What I want to moan about is peeps that type 'loose' instead of 'lose' when they have lost something..

Yes! That bugs the heck out of me, too! Hehe, sometimes it sucks to be a stickler for spelling and grammar.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 12
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 4:43:18 PM   
wodin

Wasn't talking about Matrix forums per se....just in general...also I was overblowing the issue...it just soemtimes feels like there are alot of moaners around

Also I expect good 3D graphics in an FPS...I expect good graphics in a wargame but to many, my idea of good graphics in a wargame wouldn't be considered good because they are comparing 3D fps games graphics to said game. I think CotA has really good graphics...someone who doesn't know much about that style of game will look at a screenshot and say they are sh*t...its ignorance of a genre more like than the graphics being sh*t.

PS. Widescreen support should be an option in all new games...to me thats nothing todo with how good the graphics are more a lack of foresight in design.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/29/2010 4:45:28 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 13
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 4:45:18 PM   
apathetic lurker

Don't even get me started on grammar and spelling...I cannot for the life of me figure out how I, a damn foreigner in America can pronounce and write better than most of the locals..I just can't.......

Post #: 14
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 5:26:37 PM   
parusski

hgilmer3, I too came looking for sex stuff. I hate being misled. It is so irritating to see someone using a provocative thread title just to get my attention. MOANING? Who's moaning? I never do.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 15
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 5:34:56 PM   
ilovestrategy

After the First Great War my great, great grand pappy said "Son! If you want to enjoy a game, especially a computer game, stay away from the forums!" 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 16
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 5:39:06 PM   
sulla05

Forums are strange because it is not conversation at all just personal rants about whatever. Whoever said it was correct that this forum is the " nicest" that I have ever dealt with.

I was confused for a long time about forums because in my mind I equated them with online conversations. They are not or at least 90% are not. There is no expectation of civility or give and take as there would be in a face to face conversation.

It is much like driving. There are many things that people do that while driving that they wouldn't think of doing to someones face. The tone in many online conversations would change with the threat of a right hand to the jaw. But even that is changed now. You can't ever expect just to have a good fist fight to straighten out things without the threat of police action, being sued or having it escalate.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 17
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 5:43:56 PM   
Joram

I agree with Sulla though would add it's also because it's just way too easy for people to rattle off a line without putting any thought to it.   While some people simply misbehave because they know there are no real consequences, some people can't be bothered to put a lot of thought into what they really what to say.  This rarely comes across as being brilliant.  :)

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 18
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 6:28:56 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05
You can't ever expect just to have a good fist fight to straighten out things without the threat of police action, being sued or having it escalate.

So, a little bit of violence is the correct way for two men to settle their differences, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Exactly how many lost teeth constitutes escalation?!

Hehe, sorry Sulla. I understand the spirit of your argument, but the logic seemed a little questionable to me.

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 19
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 6:45:56 PM   
DampSquib

I would love to force...ummm i mean help..yeah that's it...people that look at games that
are not all glitz just to play one.But some people can not be persuaded to try them...
even after playing the most resent block buster & coming away unhappy.
Offer them a alternative that's intelligent & has lasting appeal & it's still NO thank's.Off they pop back to suck o rama 3..... Suck o rama 3 is not released untill october the 4th..pre order now..avaliable at all crap stores....
On the plus side maybe when the penny drops they will find Matrix or something like it.....
For now just go back to helping them decide it's a good idea to try one.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 6:59:45 PM   
06 Maestro

To moan is human, to make it happen is divine. One without the other reduces the value of either.

Praise the moaners.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 21
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 7:12:20 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Lousy bits, fiddly rules.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 22
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 7:31:32 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Lousy bits, fiddly rules.

Excellent, excellent. That's the way.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 23
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 7:52:00 PM   
Treale

I hate it when a game doesn't work like  a person would like and they start screaming "BUG". We need a patch!!! When most of the time it's WAD.

Tony

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 24
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 7:52:52 PM   
JudgeDredd

Or a case of NRTFM - I've suffered from that on more than one occasion!

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 25
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 7:56:16 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

I hate it when a game doesn't work like  a person would like and they start screaming "BUG". We need a patch!!! When most of the time it's WAD.

Sometimes WAD is not very good.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 26
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 8:13:53 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

Sometimes WAD is not very good.

Well, it depends. Remember that "Beauty" is in the eye of the Beholder!! Not everyone likes the things that I like. And I don't understand why

Tony

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 27
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 9:31:21 PM   
sulla05

Slick you missed my point.

It is the absence of any consequences that causes this breakdown. I'm not talking about thugs or " bad " people. I'm talking about conversations where " normal " human beings just go off the deep end and because there are no repercussions and say whatever they like to you.

Most internet forums have turned into a group of people with blow horns that just say whatever comes to their minds. If you try and answer or discuss their item, problem or whatever they don't address anything you have written other than to say your stupid etc. and turn up the blow horn.

If you look at a long post trail in most forums all you will see is the same people stating the same viewpoint over and over again.

At least face to face conversation where I come from is polite and a give and take 99% of the time.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 28
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 10:22:33 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Slick you missed my point.

Most internet forums have turned into a group of people with blow horns that just say whatever comes to their minds. If you try and answer or discuss their item, problem or whatever they don't address anything you have written other than to say your stupid etc. and turn up the blow horn.

There is also the occasional sock puppet that pops in whenever there is a hot topic going on. The people that engage in that activity are prone to being more abusive as the little restraint that their real identity might show goes out the window. Due to their obvious cowardice, the puppet masters, as you say, would be much more polite in a face to face conversation.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 3/29/2010 10:23:02 PM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 29
RE: Moaners - 3/29/2010 10:29:59 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

As in... "Don't lose your sense of humour just loosen up a bit."

I'll get my coat

Cheers

Jev

DITTO! But then again, your post makes you a "whinger." (not sure what that really is, but the "loosers" use it as if it means you're a whiner)

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Moaners Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI