Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/23/2010 8:58:54 PM   
Melstockdale

Having paid over £68 for this mammoth game, I am disappointed and frustrated because I am drowning in a mass of data and have no idea what to do with it. The reason is that, despite what the manual says, there is no tutorial. The Support Desk tells me that there will be one, but I am left wondering when that may be. I am sure this is a marvellous game and worthy of many hours of study pre-play, but I would very much appreciate at least a basic guide about exactly how to play the game in the first place! Does anybody out there share my frustration, and does anyone know when a tutorial might be forthcoming?

Mel
Post #: 1
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/23/2010 9:28:36 PM   
freeboy

no manual, best to start and play the small gaudalcanal scenario and read and ask ?'s.. the manual is very dated imo, lease patch your game to patch three andthen read the lengthy readme t osee the literally hundreds of bug fixes and tweeks, GREAT game but yes, lots of details to absorb..

< Message edited by freeboy -- 3/24/2010 4:30:24 AM >

(in reply to Melstockdale)
Post #: 2
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/23/2010 9:38:07 PM   
mcissell

I bought this in November, and I am unhappy also with no tuturial. However I am slowly (very slowly) figuring my way around in this, AND you are in the right place for asking questions. Watching this thread is of enomous help. And finally there has been a useful tool that I found called "Some Basic Training Videl Tutorials" at http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home

Post #: 3
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/23/2010 9:55:42 PM   
JudgeDredd

If either of you want to sell it, I have £30 I'm willing to send you

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to mcissell)
Post #: 4
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/23/2010 10:20:00 PM   
SuluSea

Detailed videos of game mechanics are located in this thread.

Plenty of help is also available in th AE part of the forum via the staff and members that enjoy the game.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/23/2010 11:42:12 PM   
Gem35

Are you kidding me?
The forums are an exceptional way to get help and learn this game.
Maybe you just dont have what it takes to understand this game.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 6
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 12:06:59 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Are you kidding me?

Prime example why MANY stay away from the WITP AE forum.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 7
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 12:09:30 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

Are you kidding me?

MANY make their way to the WITP AE forums, the most popular title from Matrix, trolling is against the rules my friend

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 12:14:43 AM   
Sarge

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you kidding me?

trolling is against the rules my friend

Trolling ?

So insulting members asking questions is all good ?

Who are you to Matrix to have such liberty ?

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 9
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 12:18:17 AM   
Gem35

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you kidding me?

trolling is against the rules my friend

Trolling ?

So insulting members asking questions is all good ?

Who are you to Matrix to have such liberty ?

that isnt insulting, I clearly directed him to the forums and offered help, unlike you who have insulted that whole community of people.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 10
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 12:19:48 AM   
Wolfe

quote:

Are you kidding me?

I've had WITP:AE for a few months now and have also been somewhat daunted by the learning curve.

I've also been somewhat daunted by the WITP:AE forum which has so many posts and subjects many of which are highly introspective and arcane to a neophyte that actually finding any useful newcomer help and information is as complex as finding it in the manual or patch updates. A stickied intro/how to learn WITP thread would be very welcome or even a "New to WITP" sub-forum.

In regards to the quote above the final sentence isn't exactly welcoming to someone who has taken the plunge into the deep waters of WITP.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 11
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 12:24:52 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

quote:

Are you kidding me?

I've had WITP:AE for a few months now and have also been somewhat daunted by the learning curve.

I've also been somewhat daunted by the WITP:AE forum which has so many posts and subjects many of which are highly introspective and arcane to a neophyte that actually finding any useful newcomer help and information is as complex as finding it in the manual or patch updates. A stickied intro/how to learn WITP thread would be very welcome or even a "New to WITP" sub-forum.

In regards to the quote above the final sentence isn't exactly welcoming to someone who has taken the plunge into the deep waters of WITP.

I appologize if it came across as intimidating but honestly, as a long-time member of these forums, I have met nothing but helpful nice people who are there on their own accord to help anybody who has an issue. It's quite frankly the best game and best group of folks I have met in my gaming experiences. Feel free to have your own opinion but before you give up, give the game another try and see for yourself.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Wolfe)
Post #: 12
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 1:27:08 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Melstockdale
Having paid over £68 for this mammoth game, I am disappointed and frustrated because I am drowning in a mass of data and have no idea what to do with it.

If it is in game data that you're drowning in you can look at WitpTracker or witpStaff to help here...
If it is the sheer immense scale, then go for some of the smaller scenarios and work your way up...

quote:

The reason is that, despite what the manual says, there is no tutorial. The Support Desk tells me that there will be one, but I am left wondering when that may be. I am sure this is a marvellous game and worthy of many hours of study pre-play, but I would very much appreciate at least a basic guide about exactly how to play the game in the first place! Does anybody out there share my frustration, and does anyone know when a tutorial might be forthcoming?

Being one of the developers of WitpTrackerAE, I also decided to fill the official gap with some unofficial video tutorials as well - which some have kindly shown above.
http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home
After the next release of Tracker 1.5.1, I'll go back and do some more, with a turn by turn tutorial on Coral sea or Guadalcanal + other game mechanics ....

Also a wiki http://hc-strategy.com/ae/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

And I have to say (being diplomatic)while the AEsubforum is not everyone's cup of tea, ask some Q's as a noob and you'll get plenty of help - believe me we were all at the starting blocks at one time or another..

Good luck

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

Post #: 13
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 1:34:52 AM   
Zakhal

Best tutorial is to start the game as allies playing defensively. You dont have to do much so you can pick up the game as slow as you need to. Also you can afford many mistakes. 

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/24/2010 1:35:23 AM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 14
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 2:36:41 AM   
LarryP

I started with WitP first. It's not recommended to start with AE. However, if you post in the forum, within minutes you should have at least a reply, if not several. If it were not for the forum, I would still be lost with parts of the game. You can ask anything there so don't be shy. Those Grognards love to help. It really is the most helpful forum at Matrix.

The game is very intimidating at first. If you keep at it though, you will be rewarded more than time spent on any other title. You will also learn a lot about that era. Make sure though that you have plenty of time when you play.

Post #: 15
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 8:21:03 AM   
JudgeDredd

Sorry - but to my original offer - any of you want to get rid of that rubbish game for £30?

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 16
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 9:20:55 AM   
E

quote:

< Message edited by E -- 3/24/2010 10:25:35 AM >

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 17
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 10:06:32 AM   
undercovergeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Sorry - but to my original offer - any of you want to get rid of that rubbish game for £30?

cold JD, just cold!!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 11:10:31 AM   
Hertston

quote:

I appologize if it came across as intimidating but honestly, as a long-time member of these forums, I have met nothing but helpful nice people who are there on their own accord to help anybody who has an issue. It's quite frankly the best game and best group of folks I have met in my gaming experiences. Feel free to have your own opinion but before you give up, give the game another try and see for yourself.

I think two issues are getting confused here. Like all the Matrix forums the WitP one is a great place to get help and advice - nobody is denying that let alone, I suspect, the OP - but as with most intellectual activities that are worthwhile, a certain knowledge about where to start in a really complex strategy game like AE is necessary before you can even really know what it is you should be asking. That's where tutorials come in, be it either in-game, video, in the manual or whatever - to give folks a basis on which to start.

I'm baffled, too, as to why AE doesn't include one simply because I found the original WitP tutorial very helpful in giving me just that sort of start, and a basis from which to explore both game and manual, and formulate sensible questions about particular points.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 19
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 12:05:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

To respond to the original question, the tutorial should finally show up in the next major update. However, there are many tools, posts and other data available in the WITP AE forum, as posted above that take the place of a tutorial and the community as a whole is very welcoming to new players and loves to answer questions. Start with Coral Sea, the smallest scenario, and work your way up.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 20
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/24/2010 10:31:00 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Melstockdale

Having paid over £68 for this mammoth game, I am disappointed and frustrated because I am drowning in a mass of data and have no idea what to do with it. The reason is that, despite what the manual says, there is no tutorial. The Support Desk tells me that there will be one, but I am left wondering when that may be. I am sure this is a marvellous game and worthy of many hours of study pre-play, but I would very much appreciate at least a basic guide about exactly how to play the game in the first place! Does anybody out there share my frustration, and does anyone know when a tutorial might be forthcoming?

Hi, when I first bought WITP in 2005, I felt the same way, I did not understand the game and for about one month I did not know what I were doing. That's perfectly normal for a wargame of that size (my best "wargaming" experience was HOI1&2).
My only advice is to not give up early, ask Qs and read topics in the AE subforum, play smaller scenarios (Coral Sea is small and manageable) and be prepared to restart a lot of times.
I've played WITP and now AE since 2005, it's THE best wargame I've ever played.

Small Ship, Big War - the Voyages of the Hibiki
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1363103

Best AAR I've ever seen!!!

Post #: 21
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/25/2010 4:50:48 AM   
GeneralChaos

Yes, AE is a head-splitter. The OP should have known that going in. I still stink at the game and my head still hurts too.
IMO - guides, videos, tracker, smaller scenarios, and forums will help but will not totally solve the problem.
Only you can solved it.

Only advise that makes sense to me so far - Load campaign and play for awhile. When unhappy, reload game at beginning and play new game using lessons learned from old game. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Hopefully, you get longer and longer into the War. And hopefully it turns into enjoyment. 

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 22
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/25/2010 5:51:15 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

Are you kidding me?

I'm one of those many that you are talking about. I started to play WiTP about 2 years ago and when I started asking questions on the forum someone answered that he was tired of seeing the same beginner questions over and over again. When I saw that in my thread I lost the desire to play. Kinda made me feel that I wasn't good enough to contribute on the WiTP forums.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 23
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/25/2010 10:35:13 AM   
niknaks

JudgeDredd EMAIL ME=niknaks131"hotmail.com

< Message edited by niknaks -- 3/25/2010 11:08:53 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/29/2010 11:47:56 PM   
chijohnaok

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

quote:

Are you kidding me?

Intimidating?

Not really. IMHO it was insulting to new players (or potential players who might be on the fence whether to purchase the game or not).

As you said, there are many nice helpful people who will go out of their way to offer help and suggestions. In fact, you yourself offered helpful advice when you stated "The forums are an exceptional way to get help and learn this game". However, imho, your final comment of "Maybe you just dont have what it takes to understand this game", crossed the line. Had you followed it with a , then it might have come across softer, and been perceived as harmless ribbing.

You can read post #23 as an example of someone who was put off by the sort of comment that you posted.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 25
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/30/2010 6:33:55 AM   
Jim D Burns

When I first started playing WitP back when it first came out, I too was overwhelmed by the sheer size and scope of the thing. What I did to overcome this was to break the game down into manageable chunks.

So instead of trying to do everything at once, I would focus on a specific theater and then work on it exclusively. My system went like this:

India
Burma
Malaya
Java/Sumatra
Borneo and the rest of the DEI’s
Philippines
Australia
South Pacific
Central Pacific
West Coast
North Pacific
Russia
China

I don't recommend you try Japan till you've mastered the US.

So I treated each area as its own mini game and did all the orders for each area before I moved on to the next. But just doing orders can get overwhelming too, so what I did was do all air orders, then all land orders and finally all naval orders.

If you stick to just all of one kind of order at a time, it helps a lot in learning your orders of battle in the different areas because you don’t get distracted by other thoughts. Once you’ve done things enough that you pretty much know your orders of battle, eventually your mind will move beyond the stage of just trying to manage things, to then coming up with new and creative strategies on how to put those assets to good use.

That’s the point where the game begins to shine. It’s also the point where your life as you know it will change forever. I’ve been playing this game regularly since it came out (2005 I think?), and don’t see myself ever stopping. It’s that good. So don’t give up, it’s a journey well worth taking.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 3/30/2010 6:36:44 AM >

Post #: 26
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/31/2010 5:05:48 AM   
Texican

IMO, all games need is pop-ups with info about units, bases, hexes, and other stuff. A pop-up on an engineering unit that says something like if it sits 2 turns in one hex, you have the option to pay for fortification, built an airfield or a supply depot. Stuff like that would be very useful.

Also, any game manual should be "in-game", meaning you click a button and the manual pops up. This having to go outside of windows to get to the manual is bunk.

Post #: 27
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/31/2010 6:17:31 AM   
jomni

I've given up on WitP AE grand campaign.  I don't really like the production and economic management part.  But the smaller campaigns are gems.  Guadalcanal is a blast and also some 3rd party campaigns like Marianas.  I would love to have more limited campaigns instead of several flavors of the grand campaign. 

I did not read the manual to learn how to play AE.  All was done based on trial and error, and forum usage.  Some prior Witp experience helped but that's not extensive (only two weeks of play time).

The trick is not to learn every little rule and feature that is available (i ignored pilot management, all the details on resupply, production, search arcs, etc.).  All I cared about is creating TF's, setting strikes, loading ships with troops and supplies, the combat stances, the different TF and Air missions.  It's quite intuitive.  Even the strategies employed are also intuitive (recon, logistics, when to attack and not to attack).  Unlike other strategy games that are not too detailed and quite abstract, one must not try to learn all the rules first so that you can tailor your strategy to it in AE (it is futile).  Create your strategy first and then find the rules on how to implement it.

As for grand campaigning... I'm still into PacWar (see my sig).  I find that the level of complexity suites the scale nicely.  The game is still quite complex but the decisions you make and the number of units you command are more manageable. The experience is still the same as what you get from AE (minus the little details).

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/31/2010 6:22:15 AM >

My Blog
Random Wargame Name Generator

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 28
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/31/2010 6:37:21 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

I'm still into PacWar (see my sig). 
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/jomni1/Fanboy.png

That's not "old school." This is old school (War In The Pacific's Grandfather/PacWar's Daddy)... *grin*

Attachment (2)

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 29
RE: War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition - 3/31/2010 8:14:26 AM   
wodin

I'd buy the game if the economy and prodution could be automated.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to E)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> War in the Pacific, Admiral's Edition Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI