Distant Worlds:Updates,Expansions,and Sequels.Tell the company your wish list.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

-A continually improving AI that is able to competently use all advances and features.

-High technology to include population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars.
-----

Consider the exponential increases in technological advancement on just Earth in the last 100 years; even in the last 20 years. Now, imagine it in 1 million years, 10 million years, 100 million years, 1 billion years, and onward.
Maybe we and others would not form solid sphere planets due to the loss of surface area of the mass. Perhaps we and others would create huge orbital rings and spheres that rotate for gravity; or just use some form of artificial gravity. Later we wcould make Ringworlds and Sphereworlds that enclose stars. Perhaps others have already done this.
Using the same mechanics in stellar nurseries we could create stars then create Orbitals around them.

The same theory can apply to the creation of stable worm holes, trans warp conduits, artificial gravity, etcetera. Given enough time on a grand scale and exponential rate of advancement then I think many imanginable and unimanigable things are possible.
tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=4&key=? (from A few screenshots... )
-----
ORIGINAL: Wade1000
As to the level of technological development of various alien races in a galaxy or the universe, well, I suppose there are many at each varying level. I think the very, very, highly advanced civilizations might either totally ignore or mentor lesser advanced civilizations.
The most advanced civilizations might largely skip colonizing planets, considering them to be nature preserves. They might instead build artificial habitats such as Ships, Ring Orbitals, Sphere Orbitals, Ringworlds, and Sphereworlds. :D
These are portrayed in the Culture series novels by Iain M. Banks. Ships and Orbitals represent the main form of habitat for the Culture.

Even the wikipedia entry of it is an interesting read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture
The Culture list of species is interesting too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... e_Culture)

Also, advanced civilizations might either totally ignore(or mentor) the lesser advanced civilizations because they have transcended/ascended/sublimed their consciousness or intelligence to a pure energy form to exist free of material forms; possibly in other universes, dimensions, realms, areas, and space.
-----
(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture )

Living space
Much of the Culture's population lives on Orbitals, vast artificial worlds that can accommodate billions of people. Others travel the galaxy in huge space ships such as GSVs ('General Systems Vehicles') that can accommodate hundreds of millions of people. Almost no Culture citizens are described as living on planets, except when visiting other civilisations. The reason for this is partly because the Culture believes in containing its own expansion to self-constructed habitats, instead of colonising or conquering new planets. With the resources of the universe allowing permanent expansion (at least assuming non-exponential growth), this frees them from having to compete for living space.

The Culture, and other civilisations in Banks' universe, are described as living in these various, often constructed habitats:

Airspheres
These are vast, brown dwarf-sized bubbles of atmosphere enclosed by force fields, and (presumably) set up by an ancient advanced race at least one and a half billion years ago. There is only minimal gravity within an airsphere. They are illuminated by moon-sized orbiting planetoids that emit enormous light beams.

Citizens of the Culture live there only very occasionally as guests, usually to study the complex ecosystem of the airspheres and the dominant life-forms: the "dirigible behemothaurs" and "gigalithine lenticular entities," which may be described as inscrutable, ancient intelligences looking similar to a cross between gigantic blimps and whales. The airspheres slowly migrate around the galaxy, taking anywhere from 50 to 100 million years to complete one circuit. In the novels no one knows who created the airspheres or why, but it is presumed that whoever did has long since sublimed but may maintain some obscure link with the behemothaurs and lenticular entities. Guests in the airspheres are not allowed to use any force-field technology, though no reason has been offered for this prohibition.

The airspheres resemble in some respects the orbit-sized ring of breathable atmosphere created by Larry Niven in "The Integral Trees", but spherical not toroidal, require a force field to retain their integrity, and arose by artificial rather than natural processes.

Orbitals
Main article: Orbital (The Culture)
One of the main types of habitats of the Culture, an orbital is a ring structure orbiting a star as would a planet. Unlike a Ringworld or a Dyson Sphere, an orbital does not enclose the star (being much too small). However, like a ringworld, the orbital rotates to provide an analog of gravity on the inner surface. A Culture orbital rotates about once every 24 hours and has 'gravity' about the same as Earth's, making the diameter of the ring about 3,000,000 km, and ensuring that the inhabitants experience 'night' and 'day'. Orbitals feature prominently in many Culture stories.

Planets
Though many other civilisations in the Culture books live on planets, the Culture as it currently exists has little direct connection to planet life. A small number of 'homeworlds' of the founding member species of the Culture are mentioned in passing, and a few hundred human-habitable worlds were colonised (some being terraformed) before the Culture chose to turn towards artificial habitats, preferring to keep the planets it encounters 'wild'. Since then, terraforming has become looked down on by the Culture as inelegant, ecologically problematic and possibly even immoral. Less than one percent of the population of the Culture lives on planets, and many find the very concept a bit bizarre.

This respect is not absolute though; in Consider Phlebas, some Minds suggest testing a new technology on a 'spare planet' (knowing that it could be destroyed in an antimatter explosion if unsuccessful). It should be assumed from their normal ethics, however, that this planet would have been lifeless to start with. It's also quite possible, even probable, that the suggestion was not made in complete seriousness.

Rings
Ringworld-like megastructures exist in the Culture universe but are referred to simply as 'Rings' with a capital 'R'. These habitats are not described in detail but one is recorded as having been destroyed (along with 3 Spheres) in the Idiran-Culture war. In Matter, the Morthanveld people possesses ringworldlike structures made of innumerable various-sized tubes. Those structures encircle a star just like Niven's Ringworld and are about the same size.

Rocks
These are asteroids and other non-planetary bodies hollowed out for habitation and usually spun for centripetal 'gravity'. Rocks (with the exception of those used for secretive purposes) are described as having faster-than-light space drives, and thus can be considered a special form of spaceship. Like Orbitals, they are usually administered by one or more Minds.

Rocks do not play a large part in most of the Culture stories, though their use as storage for mothballed military ships (Pittance) and habitats (Phage Rock, one of the founding communities of the Culture) are both key plot points in Excession.

Shellworlds
Shellworlds are introduced in Matter, and consist of multilayered levels of concentric spheres in four dimensions held up by innumerable titanic interior towers. Their extra dimensional characteristics render some products of Culture technology too dangerous to use and yet others ineffective. They were built millions of years ago as vast machines intended to cast a forcefield around the whole of the galaxy for unknown purposes. However, the species that developed this technology are now lost, and many of the remaining shellworlds have become inhabited, often by many different species throughout their varying levels. Many however still hold deadly secret defense mechanisms, often leading to great danger for their new inhabitants, giving them one of their other nicknames: Slaughter Worlds.

Ships
Main article: Ship types (The Culture)
See also: List of ships (The Culture)
Ships in the Culture are intelligent individuals, often of very large size, controlled by one or more Minds. The ship is considered the Mind's 'body'. Some ships (General Systems Vehicles) are tens or even hundreds of kilometers in length and may have millions or even billions of residents who live on them full time, and together with Orbitals represent the main form of habitat for the Culture. Such large ships may temporarily contain smaller ships with their own populations, and/or manufacture such ships themselves.

In Use of Weapons, the protagonist Zakalwe is allowed to acclimatise himself to the Culture by wandering for days through the habitable levels of a ship (the GSV "Size Isn't Everything" described as over 80 kilometers long) eating and sleeping at the many locations which provide food and accommodation throughout the structure, and enjoying the various forms of contact possible with the friendly and accommodating inhabitants.

Spheres
Dyson spheres also exist in the Culture universe but are only mentioned in passing and are simply called 'Spheres'. Three spheres are recorded as having been destroyed in the Idiran-Culture war.

In Matter, the Morthanveld Nestworld of Syaung-un is a 'Sphere World' consisting of a complex arrangement of transparent tubes within tubes, all revolving around a small central star. The Nestworld is alleged to contain forty trillion Morthanveld, more intelligent beings than on all the Culture and associated worlds put together. There are also noted to be other Nestworlds, but none as big as Syaung-un.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Wade1000

RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. Tell the company your wish list.

Post by Wade1000 »

Planetary bombardment and post conquest genocide options; let's do it.

In game genocide, via planetary bombardment and post conquest options, is not so negative when applied to space alien races of very extreme differences.

I agree that planetary bombardment of structures and population AND post-conquest genocide options, with the result of lowering diplomatic reputation and lowering one's own race population happiness, should be a feature.
The more similiar the target race is to one's own race, and if one's own race is not extremely aggresive, then there should be degrees of unhappiness penalties applied to one's own population; as well as diplomatic reputation penalties from foreign civilization races similiar to one's own.
Extremely aggresive races should be immune to their own population becoming unhappy due to planetary bombardment and genocide; but still affected by diplomatic reputation penalties from foreign civilization races different than them.

A high reputation or mildly aggressive race might do it sometimes. A low reputation or extremely aggresive race might do it often. I would expect an extremely aggressive race to do it often. If I want to play as an extremely aggressive race I would want to do it.

Again, in game genocide is not so negative when applied to space alien races of very extreme differences.
If a race is at war with scary, extremely aggressive race that never surrenders, has no emotions we think as positive, and eats and/or assimilates/absorbs people then it might be beneficial to bombard and do post-conquest genocide. In reverse, an extremely aggressive race would most likely bombard and do post-conquest genocide whenever they can. If the extremely aggressive race eats people then that would be slow genocide. There are many examples of those scenarios in science-fiction stories.
-----

I totaly believe that present or future Humans and similiar races would be willing to often do genocide via planetary bombardment and post conquest options. Especially if the target enemy races are Borg-like, Zerg-like(Starcraft), Flood-like(Halo), Tyranid-like(Warhammer 40,000), any various races like spiders,insects, or others similiar that are extremly different and hostile to us(like they eat us or do genocide against us), maybe like the Wraith of Stargate Atlantis, any robotic race that are extremly different and hostile to us(like they do genocide gainst us): maybe like Terminators and their Skynet AI leader, like Replicators of Stargate-SG1 TV series, and like Necrons of Warhammer 40,000.

There are many more alien races in science-fiction stories that I believe that Humans and similiar races would be willing to often do genocide against via planetary bombardment and post conquest options.
-----

I, and others, have been opposed to how some game developers sometimes exclude, in new games, popular features from previous successful games. I suppose that it could be for game balance of power, budget constraints, time constraints, or to be unique.

To not include these, and certain other features, is artificial limitations. For example, in the game, I am a galactic civilization leader and I order my fleet to bombard an enemy planet. Yet, for some reason, my ship weapons can not fire.

These are some of my personal requests. I understand that maybe some others will disagree.
Code Force and Matrix Games, please delay the release of Distant Worlds to implement the feature of planetary bombardment and genocide choices after conquest. I know that it may be too late. If so, then please implement them in an update as soon as possible.
Maybe the companies can take a poll to see what others think about planetary bombardment, post-conquest genocide choices, and other features.

Again, in game genocide, via planetary bombardment and post conquest options, is not so negative when applied to space alien races of very extreme differences.

Does anyone else agree?
-----

Armada 2526 has 6 options for post conquest of systems/planets. The words chosen are all gramatically similiar and sound like a nice poem...heh. I like them.
The options are: (In quotes is what the mouse-over tooltip shows.)

-Subjugate ("Take control of the colony")
-Exterminate ("Eleminate all life at this colony (#) casualties")
-Devastate (This will detroy structures.)
-Contaminate (This requires infection technology and the ships to deliver it as a weapon.)
-Obliterate ( This asteroid ship technology and the ships built to deliver them as weapons.)
-Take No Action ("Do nothing")

These options might be someting to consider for Distant Worlds. Don't worry about an issue of copying. It's good to emulate good ideas.
-----

Any game of this genre without planetary bombardment and post conquest genocide options seems like an unfinished product. Games that I can think of in this genre all had it and those games that did not have it upon release later added it. Thus, it seems, that any game of this genre should be released with it.
-----

from: 'A few screenshots...' thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=2&key=?
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
How does this "exterminate" work? Are you just refering to conquering and invading planets?
There are two routes:
1. Conquer them all, don't accept peace. They'll offer you various things to end the war, but you don't have to accept. This is the "easier" route in terms of repercussions. End result, you own all their worlds, they are no longer an independent faction. Keep in mind though that the longer the war, the greater the war weariness of your own people. Single wars are rarely decisive before peace (or a truce) starts looking like a good option, usually it takes several clashes to really cut an opponent down to size.

2. Bombard them back to the stone age - the more traditional "exterminate". If you choose this option, you had better be fighting against the most evil and urgent threat the galaxy has ever faced, or everyone else in the galaxy is likely to start viewing _you_ as the most evil and urgent threat the galaxy has ever faced. Typically, no other race in the galaxy likes to see planets being bombarded to rubble and will react accordingly lest the same fate befall their own worlds. Now if you really happen to be fighting an alien race that really has behaved in a way that makes everyone else in the galaxy hate them and consider them evil, you've got a much freer hand in how you deal with the problem.
Regards,
- Erik
Excellent!
-Now I wish for some post conquest alien population management options too.
-----

From: 'A few screenshots...' thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=2&key=?
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Wade,

Elliot used some of the extra time while waiting for art to add in bombardment. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
OH...MY...GOD! I love you guys. I thank you all.
-Now I wish for some post conquest genocide options too.

I think Distant Worlds will be fun and a big success.
-----

Also, we might want to sometimes avoid planetary bombardment to capture structures and technology. Then once we have the planet with some infrastructure we may not want to accept some particular alien races...so...post conquest genocide options.
That sounds bad when thinking of other Humans.
Yet, in game genocide, via planetary bombardment and post conquest options, is not so negative when applied to space alien races of very extreme differences; especially if they aqre extremily hostile, eat other races, etcetera.
tm.asp?m=2391696

Post genocide options along with planetary bombardment offer interesting strategic choices. The desicion to bombard planets might be in correlation to how many troop transports you brought with your fleet or task force. You may have focused on ships to attack and defend instead of vunerable transports. Thus you you might find you saving the few transports you have for important planet invasions while bombarding lesser planets.
Of course, you will have to deal with any diplomatic repercussions that might bring if your enemy is not of negative reputation. That's even more strategy choices involved.

I would hope and expect the AI be able to do all this too.
-----
from: 'A few screenshots...hread: tm.asp?m=2402878&mpage=3&key=?
ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

Nice to see that planetary bombardment and extermination are going to be in this one. Otherwise it wouldn't be a 4x space game it would be more like a 3x space game.[:'(]
BTW... the screenshots looks awesome.[:)]

Heh...great point. It actually WOULDN"T be a 4Ex game without the exterminate part. Although, some could argue that invading and conquering planets is a sort of extermination of the enemy civilization. I prefer to refer to that as conquering...not exterminating.

-So, that's another reason to have post conquest genocide/exterminate options.

1 x: Explore
2 x: Expand
3 x: Exploit
4 x: EXTERMINATE

In a game,I wish high technology to include population centers beyond planetary such as Orbitals(Culture novels),Ringworlds,and Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy the planets,population centers,and stars;and AI able to competently use all advances.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Wade1000

RE: Distant Worlds: Updates, Expansions, and Sequels. Tell the company your wish list.

Post by Wade1000 »

I always like the aliens to have a variety of body shapes other than just humanoid and at least one of each of:

-a robotic/android race (Family: Robotic)
-a cyborg race(part machine, part biological) (Family: Robotic)
-a parasitic assimilating(absorbs and incorporates), bio-mass using race similiar to 'Zerg' of Starcraft, 'The Flood' of Halo, 'Tyranids' of Warhammer 40,000, or others similiar. (Sulken most likely for now)
-(one or more of)an insectoid race similiar to ants/wasps, mantis, and roaches (Done)
-a spider like race (Done)
-a crab like race (Done)
-an under water habitat race (Done)
-an ice habitat race (Done)
-a scaled reptilian race (Done)
-a gas giant planet dwelling(squid-like) avian race (The Hunters of Carl Sagan's proposed Sinkers, Floaters, and Hunters) (Family: Avian)
-a feathered(bird-like) avian race (Family: Avian)
-a mammalian(bat-like) avian race (Family: Avian)
-a reptilian(Pterosaur-like) avian race (Family: Avian)
-a furred mammalian race (Done)
-an amphibious race (Done)
-a tentacled race (Hakonish maybe)

-Upon more thought, maybe there needs to be another race "Family" to group mammilian races that do not seem appropriate for Rodent Family and Ursidian Family, such as the feline race. Maybe call the Family...Therians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theria
ggm

Post by ggm »

must have carriers, space fighters and bombers. manufacturable resources

leaders,captains, generals, experience and training structures.

terraforming.

jump gates.

mothballing of ships

espionage, nuclear , biological and chemical terrorism along with political party subversion and rebellions.

mega-structures ala proportions mod for space empires 4. arcologies, major cities, super develloped resource and manufacturing centers. It should not be easy to develop a colony. it should take a long time as slow birth rates and infrastructures slowly grow.

persistent racial traits for populations ala moo2 and se4. populations should be allowed to mix and match with positive /and negative results. need more population, bring in that subteranean race so as to use that unused space. also ai people robots and clones. just build more artificial people ( a new life awaits you in the off world colonies , hehehe...)

civ4 like structures: courthouses (for corruption), palaces (regional capitals for regional corruption reduction)

fleet star ports for mothballing lowered maintanence for starships. etc.

ggm
Alas, poor Yorick!--I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! my gorge rises at it.
William Shakespeare Hamlet
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Yes, I agree to have carriers and fighters represented in some form.

-Maybe fighter bays as another ship component and the fighters that come with(or are added to) it as another generalized/abstarcted weapon system. That would be great.

-Maybe each fighter bay could launch a group of fighters(5 maybe) that seeks to target like the missile weapon. The graphic,Instead of hitting and exploding would instead stay/"stick" to the target and fly around close to it shooting it and slowly damaging it.
THUS, a fighter bay "shot" would act as a "damage over time"(DOT) effect.

-These "fighter bays" might also be added to stations and planets.

-There would need to be a point defense component for ships and bases.

-There would need to be a way to have or portray fighters intercepting each other.
Perhaps, if each fighter bay "shot"(group of fighters) pass close by each other then they would stay/"stick" to each other and slowly damage over time(DOT) each other.
These "shot" interceptions, perhaps, could be unlimited in their battles and thus a concentrated mass of fighters could be slowly destroying each other.

-Replenishing the fighter numbers at bases would be good. Also, though, maybe a very advanced component to place on very large ships could produce fighters to replenish them away from bases.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

A massive penalty for engaging in planet bombardments/genocide if such would be included.

For example, in the Honorverse, such an action would be in violation of the Eridani Edict. Which would bring the Solarian League smashing through your house like a Kansas tornado.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

A massive penalty for engaging in planet bombardments/genocide if such would be included.

For example, in the Honorverse, such an action would be in violation of the Eridani Edict. Which would bring the Solarian League smashing through your house like a Kansas tornado.

I agree to a round about diplomatic reputation and happiness penalty(of similarly aggression type races). Although, I'm not certain if "massive" should be a good way to do it.
Some races might not care if you do it. Some races might favor you for doing it.

I agree that planetary bombardment of structures and population AND post-conquest genocide options, with the result of lowering diplomatic reputation and lowering one's own race population happiness, should be a feature.
The more similiar the target race is to one's own race, and if one's own race is not extremly aggresive, then there should be degrees of unhappiness penalties applied to one's own population; as well as diplomatic reputation penalties from foreign civilization races similiar to one's own.
Extremly aggresive races should be immune to their own population becomming unhappy due to planetary bombardment and genocide; but still affected by diplomatic reputation penalties from foreign civilization races different than them.
Sarissofoi

Post by Sarissofoi »

Yeah. Massive penalty?
Why?
We talk about epic total war in space.
Of course if there in game will be some sort of Galaxy Senat or if you sign some sort of Convention then yeah penealty for breaking deal, but otherwise I oposse.

But what I want see in patch or expansions?
1)Carriers and wing fighters.
2)Ship capitans/Fleet admirals with personality and characteristic based on race/goverment and social/military doctrins.
3)Social and military doctrins.
4)Crew experience(not ship but crew).
5)More diffrent ground units or possibilitry to project them.
6)Generals for leading ground assalut or defending planets.
7)Governors for systems/planets. With personality and traits affected by govermen/race.
8)Possibility do ressetle evacuate lub exile civilian population(based on goverment and race some things be allowed for some other wouldnt).
9)Possibility to deal(in any way) with alien populations in your colonies or occupy teritores. Yeah extermination too.
10)Galaxy senat with laws and diplomacy victory.
11)Inside politics in your empire. This meaning senat or parliment or something like that. Local authorithes chossen by local population in some sort of goverment. Paries/factions or famielies based on goverment/race.
Many other things but for first I need see this game by my own eyes.
Gertjan

Post by Gertjan »

What about mega events (a la Galciv2) or ethical dilemma's
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

What about mega events (a la Galciv2) or ethical dilemma's

Apparently there is reputation gains and losses due to some of your decisions and actions. I like a reputation system better than an ethical(good/evil) system.

Apparently there are situations that arise that require your decisions. I'm not sure if there are events.
Random normal events and mega events would be interseting if they are fun and not too negative or annoying.

Are there normal events and mega events that randomly happen at colonies and space throughout the galaxy? These are seperate from the situational popups which require our immediate decisions.
Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 »

First, i think this will be an awesome game!!

For the future i whish carriers and fighters. Like in Wing Commander or Battlestar Galactica.

Greetings from Germany
Nico
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Greetings, Speedy2511.

-Worm holes/trans-warp conduits to be discovered and used and in later research the capability to create or destroy and turn off and on our own worm holes(trans-warp conduits) that are held open via constructed gates than can be attacked and destroyed?
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

I'm pretty sure you guys should put together a designated Wish List thread because I know that Elliot reads these and thinks about them.

That being said - you should probably wait to do this until AFTER the game releases and you actually KNOW what is and isn't in the game to wish for! [;)]
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
CV Zuikaku

Post by CV Zuikaku »

We know that figters, carriers, bombardments and some cool goodies are not included, so we're here to terrorise You until you implement our requests! [:D] This is going to be best 4X game and why not make it the best from the start! [&o]
And terraforming of planets is a must-have for any 4X game. Manufacturable resources woul'd be a great option- too bad if they are not in the game...
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

How about a concious planet type that shakes of structures and population through a series of natural disasters until race can research empathetic communication tech.
Justascratch

Post by Justascratch »

How about a trans-space ship grabbing technology that has a 12% of transporting a ship from a player on the other side of the galaxy into your controlled space as a way to steal technology? If the device works or fails in explodes in the attempt and takes several turns to rebuild.
cdbeck

Post by cdbeck »

Don't look at me! Terrorize Elliot! I'm just a tester/previewer. Uh oh... is this a case of kill the messenger? [;)]

Matrix does have the habit of putting up a stickied Wish List thread after release. So be sure to translate some of this over there.

I will say that development has not 100% ended, obviously, so things can and will change before release day (particularly the race art).
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Wade+1
Sarus

Post by Sarus »

1. Major events.
- Supernova explosion
- Planetary catastrophe
- Invasion of the swarm of cosmic locusts. Cosmic locusts will devour planets, moons, stars... It's galactic calamity.
etc

2. Technologies of the Transhuman Era for highly developed empires:
- terraforming of planets
- creation of new worlds
- cloning. Effects are cheap troops, potential social problems.
- robotization and cybernation. Effect is a considerable reduction of corruption. Possible consequences... Can watch BSG:)

3. Unstable natural worm holes for instantaneous movement. It's rare and optional things.

4. Parliament and factions within empires...

I'm sorry for my bad English:)
Gargantou

Post by Gargantou »

ORIGINAL: ggm

leaders,captains, generals, experience and training structures.

ggm
This! Oh so very much this! I don't know if anyone here played the old game "Pax Imperia" for Mac? It was one of the greatest 4x games ever in my book, and it featured a quite good personnel management!

The ability to get to manage personnel(as individual characters) via an expansion would be great. It could also allow for the player to choose to partake in deeper internal politics within his own '(space)nation'!

Having different planetary governors each with their own set of attributes, some being more corrupt and less corrupt, some being more inclined or less inclined towards certain ideals etc.

For example, having a planetary governor who's very xenophobic, and have you build alliances with several alien species, could lead to this planetary governor declaring himself independent.

And as others have said, deeper internal politics for ones empire, for examples look at the "Grand strategy" games of Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis: Rome and Europa Universalis 3: Heir To The Throne.

Personnel management adds such extra flavours to strategy games for me, you can grow attached to a certain leader or character, and it can be very enjoyable to follow their career in your empire, starting out as a general, working their way up to a future leader.

I hope some people like my few suggestions, and that I don't come off as a raving nut.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”