The Origins Game Fair

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Deathtreader

The Origins Game Fair

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of attending the fair in Columbus Ohio in June of this year.....it's supposedly the world's largest gaming extravaganza. Is there much in the way of wargaming there?? Board wargaming only, or computer wargaming as well?? The website is pretty spotty about details.

Just looking for some feedback from any past attendees..... Id hate to fly all that way for snakes and ladders and monopoly et al.
Thanks in advance.[:)]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
bairdlander2

RE: The Origins Game Fair

Post by bairdlander2 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_Game_Fairhope this helps,looks like boardgames and rpg's
stevecal

Post by stevecal »

The Columbus Area Boardgaming Society(CABS) runs an entire room, appropriately named "The Warroom", that is devoted to wargaming. You pay for a separate admission badge and you can wargame for the entire convention!

I guarantee that you will have plenty of opponents available. I think they also have games available from their library that you can check out and play. CABS is a great group and the Warroom is very well organized. You won't be disappointed!

Steve
Steven E. Caler
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Hey bairdlander and stevecal,

Thanks for the responses!

Looks pretty good.

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

One of the best parts is the "War College," run by or with "Armchair General." It's a series of a few dozen lectures on warfare from ancient times to the future, and no matter how much you know, you'll still learn something. I highly recommend the "briefings" given on the situations in Iraq and Afghanistan given by active personnel.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Thanks Gil R.

Rob.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Hey bairdlander and stevecal,

Thanks for the responses!

Looks pretty good.

Rob.
No problem,if your driving there,drop by Edmonton and I will go too.(jokin)
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I LOVE Edmonton [&o]
Alba gu' brath
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

I have been going for the last several years and the War College is fantastic.  I spend as many hours as possible in it as I can.  The briefings and historical lectures are absolutely first rate and you cannot get them anywhere else that I know of.  I would recommend it unreservedly to everyone with military interests.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: RobertCrandall

I have been going for the last several years and the War College is fantastic.  I spend as many hours as possible in it as I can.  The briefings and historical lectures are absolutely first rate and you cannot get them anywhere else that I know of.  I would recommend it unreservedly to everyone with military interests.

Do you ever visit the auction?Is it any good? I'm thinking of going this year.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Sorry, haven't attended the auctions. I spent every minute I could in the lectures and cruised the wargaming rooms a few times. I saw the auctions but didn't form any impression of them.

Ta, Robert

Return to “General Discussion”