resizing game screen

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

kirk1227

resizing game screen

Post by kirk1227 »

I recently got a new computer and have been busy reloading all of my games onto it. From what i remember, the GG World At War A world divided filled up my whole monitor screen but it takes up only the middle of the screen so that there is about 2inches of desktop screen still visible all around the game screen. Its the same monitor, but different computer. It is windows 7, if that would have anything to do with it. I can play the game fine, so its not a huge issue, but if there is a way to get the game screen to fill up more, if not all, of the monitor screen that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks kirk ps. dont know if this helps but it is Genuine windows 7 home premium, Integrated Intel GMA X4500HD Graphics Video Card. 8GB Dual Channel Mem with 500 GB Serial ATA Hard Drive.
kirk1227

RE: resizing game screen

Post by kirk1227 »

I failed to mention from the first sentence of my previous post, that it filled up the whole screen of my old computer(which I no longer have). kirk
kirk1227

Post by kirk1227 »

Just wated to make one other quick comment. I just reloaded AGEOD's Civil War and there the game map does take up the whole monitor screen, so it seems to be an issue with just certain games. Im just curious as to why. thanks kirk
kirk1227

Post by kirk1227 »

ok, first off, Im starting to feel like Im talking to myself:). I right clicked on start and right clicked on the gg game icon. I then clicked on properties and in the box that says run i changed it from normal window to maximum and now the game takes up the whole screen, so perhaps I have found the answer, though Id welcome any comments. kirk
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Sounds to me like you have full screen selected in the game preferences. That will only set the game to 1024x768 I believe. So if you have your monitor set at a higher res you will of coarse be only filling in some of the screen. To address this issue a recent patch was put out that will allow the game to scale to any size screen you use. To enable this go into the preferences and select windowed mode, then set the res you want. Start with the current setting you use for your Windows then adjust height and width from there until you have it just the way you want it. I have a 19 inch monitor set at 1280x1024 but in the game preferences I found a setting of 1280x970 worked best for me because of the space the Windows taskbar takes up.  
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
Thraug

Post by Thraug »

Hi Lebatron,

I know this thread is old but it is directly related to my question. I just downloaded the demo, installed and ran it. The demo is running in lower, fixed resolution than my monitor. I tried your suggestion but I do not get an option in the preferences page to change the res. The demo version that's shown on the start screen says it's version 1.049. The latest patch for the game is 1.040 so I can't tell if the demo is patched to the latest version that includes the fix you mention. Do you know? Thanks?
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Does the demo version have this choice? see pic

Attachments
ScreenHunter_01.jpg
ScreenHunter_01.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

If it does not then you should try out my resolution trick. See the thread called "Great discovery- trick to increase resolution" located in the pinned area. If you follow my steps you should be able to get any version to do windowed mode. Latter patches made my trick unnecessary after that, but before the patch everybody was using my trick. Some posted cool pics in that thread.
jcrohio

Post by jcrohio »

Could this be from not creating a save game folder in the dat folder? I think there was something about that in earlier posts?
Jack
Thraug

Post by Thraug »

Lebatron, yes, my demo version has that exact user prefs screen. I couldn't find a thread by the name you suggested but I found this thread: (1280x1024 mod)
This forum doesn't let me post links within 10 days of my 10th post or something.
but the "@HERE@" file you have in that thread is dead.

Any suggestions?
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

The thread called "Great discovery- trick to increase resolution" located in the pinned area can be easily located. Just use my pic as a guide. The thread about my 1280x1024 mod came about after I made the discovery and wanted to enhance it. The game programmer Keith Brors was then able to apply my trick into a later patch and now we don't have to follow them steps anymore because it became built in.

Anyway, since the demo does have the feature, maybe your dat/save folder isn't in the right place. That was just discussed a few days ago in another thread. Placing the save folder where it should be solved that guys problem. see here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3279248

Attachments
ScreenHunter_02.jpg
ScreenHunter_02.jpg (73.48 KiB) Viewed 227 times
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Also one more thing. In the box where you place the res size you wish to use, you must enter one value first, then hit enter. Then it will ask for y value, you then enter that second. If you try to put say 1920,1130 into the box in one entry it will fail. Is that the problem you are having Thraug?
Thraug

Post by Thraug »

Thank Lebatron. I checked again and I was incorrect. My demo preference do NOT have the "Window Size" option as yours does. It looks like the demo does not have it. I will play the demo as is and give the game a try this way. Thanks! :)

Return to “Tech Support”