Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Few Newbie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Few Newbie questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Few Newbie questions - 2/8/2010 7:41:26 PM   
TK421__

Playing GC - Allied v Jap AI on Historical (latest patch installed)

Couple(ish) of questions - I'm about a month in and LOVING it

1) Do I need to do anything with Allied Industry? As yet I've not even looked at the screens and ignored all the Tracker warnings about short resources. Not looking to work it at 100% but if I basically do nothing will it cost me the game?

2) Fuel - Does it move between bases in the same way as supplies - I think not but I'd like to be sure before I set up my convoys

3) I'm going to make a big effort to hold at least some of Burma - Will supplies move (albeit limited) across the jungle from India as if Rangoon goes I won't be able to ship them in as I have been to date

Post #: 1
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/8/2010 8:43:37 PM   
topeverest

Welcome to the game!

1 - Allied industry is mostly self sufficient / on auto pilot. You cant make many changes. You do need to use WITP tracker to identify where you have ongoing defficiencies and plan for them. Examples inlcude lack of fuel in australia, etc. Tracker will highlight those for you that you can do what you need to for optrimization. Otherwise, it is pretty idiot resistant and fixed. Be careful with the desired supply settings (supply reserve) in America early in the war. Also I suggest carefully deciding if to repair industry in China. you'll figure it all out within 60 game days.

2 - since fuel is used in industry, it does move like supply, but in general faster and further and even along minor roads. you also cannot hold reserves like in supply.

3 - Rangoon generates its own fuel and supply. In fact you should export both to India until the port is closed by force. You will be fine if you can hold it, but most players cannot hold Burma - its pretty tough, especially after Malaya falls. If Rangoon falls, you will have to make alternate supply arrangements for the rest of burma. Once Rangoon falls, you are effectively cut off from India, so be sure what forces you want to commit. It will be tough to get them back to India. Also, definately avoid getting boxed in at rangoon. If the Japs flank you successfully, it is suicide to try to hold on. This said, I always will make a major fight of at least Rangoon, including all my major air assets in the area. Lastly, it is advisable to set Mandalay or another interior Burma base to a high level of supply reserve. In this way when / if rangoon falls, you have a level of supply to conduct operations.

have fun with it.

Andy M

(in reply to TK421__)
Post #: 2
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/13/2010 7:51:41 PM   
HurayRegis

According to topeverest:
quote:

Lastly, it is advisable to set Mandalay or another interior Burma base to a high level of supply reserve.

What is the processs to set up a "supply reserve" at Mandalay?

Walt

(in reply to TK421__)
Post #: 3
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/14/2010 1:30:12 PM   
Helldiver

HurayRegis.

I can only assume that Topeverest means to "up" the supplies required arrow in order to draw more supply to a selected interior Burma base...

Regards,
Helldiver

(in reply to HurayRegis)
Post #: 4
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/14/2010 3:44:24 PM   
topeverest

Sorry for the delay...yes that is what I mean.

Set the required supply to maximum by the rightmost triangle / arrow icon to the immediate right of base required supplies. Be careful with this, as each base assigned this 'maximum' amount will attempt to do just that - by pulling from nearby bases if necessary. In Burma, you have to closely monitor that to ensure other bases dont go into deficits.

Andy M

(in reply to Helldiver)
Post #: 5
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/14/2010 9:58:22 PM   
HurayRegis

Thanks for the advice.

Walt

(in reply to TK421__)
Post #: 6
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/22/2010 2:04:43 AM   
John S

Pardon me for asking additional questions on this thread but I am having real troubles trying to create a new thread.  I am a veteran of WITP but new to Admiral's Edition.  These are probably pretty basic.
1)  Can someone give me a reminder of how to establish a seaplane tender on an atoll and have it support seaplanes for naval searches from the atoll.  I remember that you need to somehow put supplies on the atoll.  How do you unload the supplies on an unoccupied atoll?  What mission does the tender need to be set to?
2)  How do you find the location of a ship/task force which is at sea?  Please understand my question.  I know you can go to the "list of all active ships" and get the ship's task force.  Then you can go to the List of task forces" and find the task force and its destination.  How do you then find the task force's location, the hex that it is at?  Isn't the hex listed somewhere?  The only solution that I have found is to eliminate the destination and then you are placed on the task force but that can't be the only way (at least I hope not).
3)  I own a fair number of Matrix games and may be confusing this game with others.  Is there a way to magnify the hex by holding down a combination of buttons (alt/control etc) so you can magnify it and see it better or is that something that I am remembering from another game?

(in reply to HurayRegis)
Post #: 7
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/22/2010 4:57:34 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: John S

Pardon me for asking additional questions on this thread but I am having real troubles trying to create a new thread.  I am a veteran of WITP but new to Admiral's Edition.  These are probably pretty basic.
1)  Can someone give me a reminder of how to establish a seaplane tender on an atoll and have it support seaplanes for naval searches from the atoll.  I remember that you need to somehow put supplies on the atoll.  How do you unload the supplies on an unoccupied atoll?  What mission does the tender need to be set to?
2)  How do you find the location of a ship/task force which is at sea?  Please understand my question.  I know you can go to the "list of all active ships" and get the ship's task force.  Then you can go to the List of task forces" and find the task force and its destination.  How do you then find the task force's location, the hex that it is at?  Isn't the hex listed somewhere?  The only solution that I have found is to eliminate the destination and then you are placed on the task force but that can't be the only way (at least I hope not).
3)  I own a fair number of Matrix games and may be confusing this game with others.  Is there a way to magnify the hex by holding down a combination of buttons (alt/control etc) so you can magnify it and see it better or is that something that I am remembering from another game?

AV's now need to load supplies and then you disband the ship into port. At that point you should see the air support in the base screen.

TF location: click on the TF ni the list. It takes you to the TF location.

No magnification that I know of. Wish there was for my old eyes.

Pax

(in reply to John S)
Post #: 8
RE: Few Newbie questions - 2/22/2010 6:46:52 PM   
topeverest

Allied AV's, AVD's and AVP's need to be anchored in port to provide seaplane aviation support for the base whose port it occupies. Think of them as mobile aviation support. They can be quite useful both in established bases and bases of opportunity. be sure to bring supply if you want to establish a seaplan base in a friendly unoccupied base.

Jap AV's operate differently

Andy M

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Few Newbie questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI