Matrix Games Forums

War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Replay Problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Replay Problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replay Problems - 1/30/2010 10:38:45 PM   
Michael T

I have played 2 turns of the 1943 campaign game as a PBEM. I am Allied. Neither replay has gone to the end of the day. On the first day I got about half way thru the night bombing and the replay ended with 'End of Tape' message yet my night bombing raids had only just started. In the replay of the second day the replay just stopped around the same point in time and crashed the game. Is this a new problem or an accepted bug/limitation? Its pretty annoying to spend hours plotting all these raids and then not being able to watch the results.

Do others experience these problems or is it just me?

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------
Post #: 1
RE: Replay Problems - 1/31/2010 5:34:12 AM   
Michael T

Just finished 3rd day. Replay did not even get past the day raids this time.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 2
RE: Replay Problems - 3/5/2010 4:52:33 PM   
Tuk

Is anything being done about this? To sell this game as having a viable PBEM option is misleading.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 3
RE: Replay Problems - 3/6/2010 5:34:20 AM   
Rusty1961

Agreed.  I find as the USAF player watching the replay to be very frustrating.  I don't get much enjoyment of out the replay.

(in reply to Tuk)
Post #: 4
RE: Replay Problems - 3/6/2010 12:48:03 PM   
Hard Sarge

we think there may be a buffer issue with the replay, passed on and Harley will look at it when he looks

the replay has been corrected and improved over what it was

most players of the old game, didn't bother with the replay, that is why there are other screens to tell you what went on, that are much more detailed

if Harley can find the Buffer issue and fix that, and or maybe get more info in the screen, great

but over all, you need to follow all of the screens and features to try and get an idea of what was going on

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 5
RE: Replay Problems - 3/6/2010 7:37:39 PM   
Rusty1961

I don't care what it used to be.  Right now it's unwatchable almost.  I can't change the message level while watching and I can't stop the replay.  I click on the buttons to change level and nothing happens.  Eventually it just hangs there and I drop out by hitting ctl-alt-delete and just end the game.

What fun is it just to look at the raid results and not see the actual combat.

I'm very close to giving up on this game Sarge. I want to like it, but it's very frustrating in the extreme.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: Replay Problems - 3/6/2010 8:40:40 PM   
Hard Sarge

not trying to sound like I don't care, but all I can say is I have handed over what info I have about this to Harley

when he can get to it, and what he can do, I don't know, that is out of my hands (other then to Nag him)

working on the issues with the Duel/Quad core (which we didn't see or know about until release, my Quad Core came in the same day I uploaded the game to Matrix, so I never seen it until too late) and the requests for more info screen details and UI, has burned up the programming time, that could of went to stuff like the replay

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 7
RE: Replay Problems - 3/6/2010 9:02:27 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

I can't change the message level while watching and I can't stop the replay.  I click on the buttons to change level and nothing happens.  Eventually it just hangs there and I drop out by hitting ctl-alt-delete and just end the game.

The buttons and controls usually work fine for me, except there is sometimes a slight delay, and messages flash by incoherently... regardless of message setting. I will get crazy screen blackouts and crashes every once in a while. This does sound like a graphical buffering problem and may explain yours and other's difficulties with button control.

The graphical plane icons are about 50% mapped incorrectly during replay, which is disappointing.

< Message edited by simovitch -- 3/6/2010 9:03:08 PM >

simovitch

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 8
RE: Replay Problems - 3/6/2010 9:22:31 PM   
Michael T

IMHO not watching the replay in PBEM is just outright foolhardy if you are serious about the game. There is so much vital info, like where the Germans are launching from and with what, his pattern of intercepts, how far he lets his fighters range, where your boys get chopped up etc.

How you divulge that kind of info from the screens is beyond me. In PBEM the replay is THE most important info provider for the allied player. And for me PBEM is THE only way I play any game. Although with HPS Midway release I may be tempted to try a LAN or Interent 'live' game.

FWIW I have been playing HPS DTR and the the Night Bombing campaign is way more fun than what it is in this game. The day battles are fun in BTR but the night game of BTR is downright boring and laborious, please someone make a day only campaign

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 9
RE: Replay Problems - 3/7/2010 12:12:45 AM   
Tuk

Whatever the problem with buffering, I don't think that's responsible for the sheer lack of information a PBEM player gets. Apart from only knowing which side planes an icon represents when you hover mouse over it (useless in a fur ball) and never knowing what type it represents, there is no speed, number or altitude info. Messaging doesn't even tell you when a raid aborts or turns back or which squadron damages a target. None of the information available in solo play is available in PBEM and it's all information that helps you understand what's happening and to learn. It's allround apalling a disgrace it was ever released like this and needs sorting PRIORITY.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 10
RE: Replay Problems - 3/7/2010 6:44:48 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

not trying to sound like I don't care, but all I can say is I have handed over what info I have about this to Harley

when he can get to it, and what he can do, I don't know, that is out of my hands (other then to Nag him)

working on the issues with the Duel/Quad core (which we didn't see or know about until release, my Quad Core came in the same day I uploaded the game to Matrix, so I never seen it until too late) and the requests for more info screen details and UI, has burned up the programming time, that could of went to stuff like the replay

I suspect many people are being turned off at this point by the appearance of an unfinished product.
My opponent in the big week scenario notified me he doesn't care to play BTR any more after this introductory scenario and it doesn't appear many are playing the game (I could be wrong, but I don't think so).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to bash the game, but I don't see much of a difference in the game which came out in 2000/1999 and this one. I walked away from that one for the same reason I feel I might with this one.

I hate to say it, but I miss USAAF. It was simple, understandable and a great game with only a few drawbacks.

I appreciate all your hard work, but I"m at my wits end here.

Fingers crossed you can still make this a great game.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 11
RE: Replay Problems - 3/7/2010 10:46:11 PM   
simovitch

It's by no means intended to be a fix but I have have much better control of the replay when in windowed mode, and using hot keys instead of the mouse. The messages will pause, usually, and you can walk through frame by frame to re-read them, usually.

Won't stop the crashing at the end or the mis-map of the a/c graphics though.

e=stop
s=start
l=message level

hope this helps.

simovitch

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 12
RE: Replay Problems - 3/11/2010 2:37:19 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

It's by no means intended to be a fix but I have have much better control of the replay when in windowed mode, and using hot keys instead of the mouse. The messages will pause, usually, and you can walk through frame by frame to re-read them, usually.

Won't stop the crashing at the end or the mis-map of the a/c graphics though.

e=stop
s=start
l=message level

hope this helps.

I'm curious to know if running replay in windowed mode with hotkeys helps with reading the messages for anyone else?

Also, setting aircraft and target highlighting helps interpret the turn results during replay, I've found.

simovitch

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Replay Problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI