Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

BOB help needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> The War Room >> BOB help needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
BOB help needed - 1/30/2010 5:01:10 PM   
ornate_mig

Well this game was worth the wait.Thankyou agin Matrix for sorting out the disk problem.Anyway never playd a game anything like this.Big lerning curve but i look on that as being a plus.I see from this forum that the developers and community work very closely and it shows a work from the heart.
Have started out on the bob luftwaffe 1 day game .Managed to get a win after 3 goes admitadly useing lots of saves.Then managed the Luftwaffe 1 week game ...did it first time .

Now the game gets hard Very hard .BOB RAF 1day .Managed a close game lossing by some 15 points.
Tried now 2 more times and im getting poorer results .Im trying to hard .
Please any tips on how to manage my Few against so many.

Movement phase i bring down spits and hurricans from the far north
I set a few patrols at 2000 alt when radio chatter gets about 100
I dont use my Blemings and Gladiators and probably the Defiants not enough
Im just trying to undrstand the importance of sectors I THINK!

Thanks Alistair

Post #: 1
RE: BOB help needed - 1/30/2010 6:26:47 PM   
gmoney

i never played the short campains-i just dove right into the full length games even with the original battle of britain, and in long campain your goals are a bit diffrent as scoring is done diffrently. a few tips that should work for you in the short campains though-

1) in a one day campaign not sure its worth it to move fighters at all since they wont be able to operate at full strength until late at the day at best-all you are doing is putting more 'points' on the ground for the germans.
2) i hope you meant 20k feet not 2k feet with your patrols-also i usually dont launch patrols until we detect the raid on radar-spits and hurris have very short 'legs' and you want them to use fuel fighting not waiting on the enemy to show up-set your patrols too early and your giving away one of your advantages which is that the 109's only had fuel for 20 min over se england and 5 min over london.
3) the only use ive found for the ac other than spits and hurris was as 'patrols' near the coast to get an accurate alt/ compisition list on the enemy formations. I've tried using them to hit stragglers but it hasnt worked out well for me yet. Set your obselete ac one patrol at 25k near the coast in groups of 3 and have them intercept enemy raids just long enough to get a bomber/fighter count then recall them-they will suffer losses though.
4) I like to get my ac airborne first in patrol groups and then engage the enemy formations as opposed to sending them directly into the enemy formations. this allows them to hit in groups and hopefully overwelm the enemy formations. i also try to send my spits in first to deal with the fighters and then send my hurris in after the bombers-just have the spit patrols closer to the enemy formation and send them all in at the same time-the spits will get there first and engage the fighters (hopefully) and then your hurris get to harrass the bombers with little interference from enemy fighters.
5) Dont try to intercept every raid-you should concentrate on a few raids with large numbers of fighters instead of trying to hit every one with fewer fighters. In the longer campains i sometimes let the enemy hit the target and bounce them on the way home-especially if the target is london or some industrial target with lots of AA-the AA will help break up the bomber formations and the enemy fighters are all low on fuel and cant fight very effectively. Not sure if you can do that in a short campain since the scoring is diffrent though

These are just a few tips thats would seem to work in the short campain as well-really i think the short campains are actually harder for the brits than the long campains. I say this because FC and the luftwaffe have about equal numbers of single engine fighters, so in the long campain attrition actually works in the brits favor since they are able to recover pilots ect while the luftwaffe loses pilots every day. In a short campain you dont get this advantage so basicly you are overwelmed by numbers-which happens in the long campains too but isnt as big a factor since you can pick your spots more effectivly in a long campain-losing one day doesnt hurt you to bad in the longer games, but in a 1 day game you have to win that day against the full strenght of the luftwaffe. now that you have the basics down id suggest you try the full length games-which of course has its own challenges. hope this helped you somewhat and good luck to you

(in reply to ornate_mig)
Post #: 2
RE: BOB help needed - 1/31/2010 12:35:59 AM   
Hard Sarge

I agree with most of the ideas Gmoney said

(I would leave the Squadrons where they are for the one day, they won't really be of much help, and will lower your number of ready planes, which may change the AS score if the numbers are close enough)

Patrolling can help, but your timing got to be right on

it may be easier to get kills if you wait, but then it is a little like closing the barn door after the horses ran away, if the bombers get though and hit the target (but, in a longer campaign you can break the bombers morale and make them turn for home if attacked and there morale breaks)

(in reply to gmoney)
Post #: 3
RE: BOB help needed - 1/31/2010 8:40:56 AM   
ornate_mig

Thanks for the tips .Yes i ment 20k alt Didnt realise my movement phase was not working .ahow about moving AA guns for the day?

How many patrols and where .Do they go out as far as possible over the Chanel or do i keep them over Kent or both?
I agree that this may be a difficult game to win as the Luftwaffe seem to be getting ther targets prioritised to destroy fighter command and a one day snapshot they should win with ease.

Is it worth moving easy targets like the gladiators out of harms way in the movement phase?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> The War Room >> BOB help needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI