Hello... again.

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

firestorm

Hello... again.

Post by firestorm »

Seems like I always pop in here after huge hiatuses, when someone reminds me about how great this game is.

So anyways, I thought I'd cruise by and say "Hi", see if anybody's still around and kicking. Game's still awesome, I've been playing it more lately again, we'll see how long it lasts this time. :)

Also Larkin, I saw you're still working on the game, very very impressive! And I had a question: Is there any way for people on different teams to link scanners up? My friend and I usually play co-op duels VS the AI (random titans all around). Being able to link scanners would be great. Is it possible currently?
www(dot)attnam(dot)com
LarkinVB

RE: Hello... again.

Post by LarkinVB »

Download latest beta and you can link scanners to allies if you are either :

a) higher rank or
b) same rank and +25% leadership.

Welcome back ! Latest beta (b35) has lots of improved stuff compared to v1.2.1. Check the patch readme.
firestorm

Post by firestorm »

Thanks Larkin. We've been playing that latest beta, it's pretty cool. Lots of new stuff since the last time I played. We actually circumvented the issue by creating a team which we're swapping back and forth between us, to make changes to our respective jocks.

Are you still working on ToS? I saw that that patch thread was edited back in December and was very impressed. Are they just battle module changes, like it used to be back in the day?
www(dot)attnam(dot)com
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

ORIGINAL: firestorm
Are you still working on ToS? I saw that that patch thread was edited back in December and was very impressed. Are they just battle module changes, like it used to be back in the day?

Yes, I'm still working on it now and then. Mostly battle and few hq changes like cloning or online banking. Currently I try to teach the AI to light heavy woods before having spotted an enemy to deny them favorable sniping positions. I also reworked random jock generation to be more in line with rules for human players.

LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I'm still working on 1.2.2b36 and think I will release in febuary. I do plan to add random missions types but most likely not for b36.
firestorm

Post by firestorm »

That's awesome. Definitely looking forward to it.
www(dot)attnam(dot)com
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

Wow - Larkin you are doing a great job improving this game. Random mission types? That is cool.
I stopped playing awhile after releasing the last campaign - dunno if the branching stuff appealed to players.. did you finish it?

Upgraded my machine again - now with Win 7 - I hope this works with Win 7? I haven't tried yet. heh heh.

Anyways - keep up the good work. I looked at the readme file for the latest update you have and I really love that the AI is constantly being tweaked. Such few games nowadays places any emphasis on AI.

Will be reloading soon :-)

**Edit ** yay - it works well on windows 7
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I stopped playing awhile after releasing the last campaign - dunno if the branching stuff appealed to players.. did you finish it?

No, sorry. My friend and I currently prefer mass combats with our squad, that is randomized 4 team battles. Campaigns do need some carefull attention which we don't have while dinking some wine. [;)]
Aensland

Post by Aensland »

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB
Currently I try to teach the AI to light heavy woods before having spotted an enemy to deny them favorable sniping positions. I also reworked random jock generation to be more in line with rules for human players.
I've yet to get re-started (wasted several hours yesterday after I reinstalled the game, thinking up squad and jock names, lol), but I just reread this. I have a habit of using one of my Titans to jump up real high to scout the terrain and hostiles ahead (I love heavily forested and hilly terrain in random maps); when they spot me this way, I wonder if it will have any effect on their AI.

Also wondering how other people start out. Do you find a hill and base around it? Send a scout to the hill to both observe and be bait while the rest prepare to ambush units who target it? Do you rush forward in a spread formation to uncover as much terrain as possible? Do you break your squad into smaller groups and flank / cover each other?

I use one or two units to jump up and scout, while the rest are usually sent in a close formation towards the middle of the map, or the middle of the enemy formation if spotted, while keeping close to hills / water. I love water, by the way [:)] I don't think it gives any cover, hell it's probably no better than being out in the open (plus an increased danger of tripping) - it's just the psychological effect of "hey, I'm sitting in coolant" lol.
Ab Clades, Malevolentia; Ab Victoria, Ultio
( " In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! " )
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Currently we play with an allied AI team against 2 enemy teams. Therefore we often have to keep in line with what our allies plan to do. This is fun as you have to support them or you will be beaten peacemeal. In general we try to find some high ground with cover but this is mostly dictated by the titans weapon load. We have a light titan jumping up if we can't see the enemy to get an idea which way they are coming. You can use this tactic as a bait too. The AI will move in the direction of the last sighted enemy.

Since we prefer battles with allied AI I added the choice to modify each teams weight instead of being just calculated. Just click on the "TEAM TONNAGE: xyz t". I also added different behavior which the allies will radio you in a message like "alled team: gather order". They are moving now to a fictional point calculated by the average x/y coordinate of all allied titans.

Aensland

Post by Aensland »

I recall using this feature (allied AI team) as well, I used it to help build up new squads. Being able to tweak the team tonnage is also a nice touch.

Radio chatter is nice (random messages please? e.g. under fire, requesting help, imminent destruction, victory cry). I presume radio is nice and omnidirectional enough not to cause security concerns, except during missions where radio silence is required. Until things start exploding, perhaps. Probably too much to ask, but the enemy feels too stoic sometimes [;)] It would be hilarious hearing panic messages when someone fails an important bravery check.
Ab Clades, Malevolentia; Ab Victoria, Ultio
( " In Defeat, Malice; In Victory, Revenge! " )

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”