Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/20/2010 4:49:50 PM   
KG Erwin

After some Googling, I found the complete CWG 2 for download (including the sound/video files). Sure, it's 13 years old, but it isn't a bad game. I like the dymanic campaign setup, in which casualties carry over from battle to battle and one can upgrade weapons. The graphics are dated, but I can't complain since it was free.
Post #: 1
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/20/2010 4:57:55 PM   
Lützow

Does not work with Win7x64. Probably still a 16bit installer.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/20/2010 5:05:38 PM   
KG Erwin

Well, after applying a Win98 compatibility patch, I can run it in XP (in Win98 mode). Haven't had any crashes. For newer OS, it's problematic.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 3
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/20/2010 6:23:33 PM   
fabertong

I loved that game......do you have a link of where to find it....just for old times sake.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/20/2010 6:44:59 PM   
junk2drive

I still have the CD. Played the heck out of it as the South.

The overnight thing was interesting. You had to decide to let your troops rest or go out aand gather intel as I recall.

Unit facing is very important.

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 5
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/20/2010 6:55:49 PM   
Anguille

The game is always on my computer...always has since 1997

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 6
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/21/2010 4:37:49 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fabertong

I loved that game......do you have a link of where to find it....just for old times sake.

*** LINK REMOVED ***

There are more games like that, where developers faded away, so that there's no legal successor to the former owner of the copyright. Such games are called "abandonware".

Famous examples were Cineware titles, with games like "It came from the desert" or "Defender of the Crown" or "Wings" (well, at least until eGames picked up the brand, it seems).
Even though LucasArts still exists, games like "Zak McKracken" are considered to be abandonware. There's even an unofficial sequel ("New adventures of Zak McKracken") made by fans, which looks like an Amiga version, means almost like a 256-colors version:

There are sites who offer such games without taking a fee. You just have to google a bit.

< Message edited by Iain McNeil -- 10/10/2013 10:59:31 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to fabertong)
Post #: 7
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/21/2010 6:34:10 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

http://SOME LEECHER'S ABANDONWARE SITE WHO CHARGES TO DOWNLOAD GAMES ILLEGALLY FROM OTHER SITES.html

There are sites who offer such games without taking a fee. You just have to google a bit.

Not only is the site you linked to illegal, its owner is the biggest leacher of other sites that I know of.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 8
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/21/2010 11:42:35 PM   
GoodGuy

"Illegally from other sites" ?

You seem to know more about that site , than the average joe (and first-time visitor like me).

I tried to explain that quite some games can be downloaded legally.
The 2 pages I linked are not illegal, as you can't obtain the game from that site without logging in. So on the page I linked, they can describe whatever they want, and it's their job to research what game is abandonware or not, not mine.
If I'd pay for their services and actually download stuff (which would be dumb, since abandonware can be obtained for free elsewhere), then it would be my duty to ensure that I'm not violating any copyright laws and that I'm not pirating copyrighted material.

I've seen a user request in the official LucasArts forums, in February 2008, for example, where the user asked whether "Day of the tentacle" ("DOTT") had been "released" (means declared to be abandonware) or not. A LA employee replied that it had been released 6 months ago (so in 2007), and that it would be legal do download it, as the original game was more than 15 years old (I guess some internal time frame where LucasArts decides whether a game will be dropped or not).
I don't know whether my example above, ZakMcKracken, had been dropped too. Whatever the case, quite some of the games offered are legal:

*** LINK REMOVED ***

But to be extra sure, I advised fabertong to google (and do some more research), right????

Anyway, I removed the link to ZacMcKracken, as I am not sure anymore whether LA dropped that game or not.

DOTT on a German fansite, preconfigured with SCUMMvm (and most likely with German voice-overs):
http://adventure-heaven.blogspot.com/2007/12/day-of-tentacle.html

The blog-entry is from 2007 (the year DOTT had been dropped by LUCASarts).

There is another link in that blog, where you can download 4 other games .. according to the blog all dropped by LucasArts, well DOTT had been dropped for sure. The fact that some sites look somewhat dubious doesn't necessarily mean that each and every download will be illegal.

EDIT: Games you can download legally at ScummVM's download section:

http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/downloads/#extras

(Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Lure of the Temptress [Westwood], Drascula)

I bought the Amiga version of Beneath a Steel Sky in 1993, and I guess it's still on my Amiga's HD. The developer, Revolution Software, decided to offer it as Freeware under a sperate license ( http://www.classicdosgames.com/licenses/Beneath_a_Steel_Sky_Freeware_License.txt ) in 2003.

http://www.revolution.co.uk/_display.php?id=16

The source code was also given to the ScummVM devs, who then ironed out some bugs and adapted it so that it can be played on many platforms (windows, DOS, AmigaOS, MacOS, Linux, etc. etc.). A remastered version is available for the Iphone and Ipod (paid content).

More freeware (former commercial software):
http://www.classicdosgames.com/search.html#legal
http://www.classicdosgames.com/legal/freeware_com.html

< Message edited by Iain McNeil -- 10/10/2013 11:00:49 AM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 9
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/23/2010 1:02:40 AM   
Arctic Blast

I noticed that Beyond a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress were listed there. Just so that people know, Good Old Games offers those (and Teen Agent) for a free download to anyone with an account, and they'll run without needing to set up any other software.

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/price/000

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 10
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/30/2010 8:14:35 AM   
Obsolete

I still have CWG I & II around here on original CDs.  I still curse the day Sierra canceled their CWG III during the prototype.  But that was just at the end of their days.

Come to think of it, their adventure games I thought used to get incredibly tuff.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 11
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/30/2010 8:33:30 AM   
Anguille

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

I still have CWG I & II around here on original CDs.  I still curse the day Sierra canceled their CWG III during the prototype.  But that was just at the end of their days.

Come to think of it, their adventure games I thought used to get incredibly tuff.

I was hoping for CWG III too but apparentely, the game would have been completely different...RTS...i suspect something like Lords 3...i guess we would have been disappointed anyway.

Cheers

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 12
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 1/30/2010 9:12:02 AM   
Obsolete

Ahahaha!  Oh boy I remember the Lords III forum too after that (scadulous release).  We were all expecting more of turn-based (with some small RTS battles) kind of game, just like LOTR II.  And what we got was something different alright.  I got extremely annoyed at trying to tack all those moving counters in RTS while trying to do all my other micro-management etc.  IIRC they threw in a bunch of extra gimmicks like Vassals and God knows what else I can remember.  No one wanted any of this.

I never did see shots of CWG III before they canned it, so I honestly don't know what they were going for.  But if it was going to be part of their RTS franchise, then I guess it really was no big loss.  :(

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Anguille)
Post #: 13
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/8/2013 11:20:01 PM   
welk

Here is Civil war general IV

I adapted Civil war general II to the East Front (1941-1945) with the name : GPW = Great Patriotic war

Screens here :
http://www.leqg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13677&p=401047#p401047

After diffusion of a simple "beta version, I am working on the definitive version (coming soon, will be probably released November 2013)

Screenshoot
http://www.leqg.org/forum/download/file.php?id=1173&sid=b9d32a0f18969c94c569f4536379f3d3

< Message edited by welk -- 10/8/2013 11:23:45 PM >

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 14
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/8/2013 11:56:16 PM   
Gil R.

I thought I would temporarily hijack this thread to note that just yesterday Erik Rutins announced it is now possible to sign up to be a beta-tester for "Brother Against Brother." I mention this here because, even though fellow developer Eric Babe and I never played CWG2 our game has drawn some comparisons to it from the testers and others -- so, it seemed that some of you might have an interest. It might not be CWG3, but it could be the next best thing...

Here's the link:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/announcement.asp?id=22

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/9/2013 12:35:11 AM   
sulla05

I too have fond memories of CGW2.

But I believe Brother against Brother will surpass your expectations of CGW3.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 16
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/9/2013 12:52:21 AM   
aaatoysandmore

hijacking a thead to promote your own game for shame for shame. Everybody wants to be first these days. Pushing and shoving and cutting inlines it's just like chistmas everyday now. lol

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 17
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/9/2013 4:42:59 AM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

even though fellow developer Eric Babe and I never played CWG2

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/9/2013 6:49:22 AM   
flanyboy

I was able to get CWG2 to work on my Windows 7 machine. It runs just fine. Main problem is I can't recall the fix I used. You've got to do something with you're registry so the game itself doesn't realize you're running a 64 bit machine and then it will run if my memory serves me right.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 19
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/9/2013 6:54:08 AM   
flanyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

There are more games like that, where developers faded away, so that there's no legal successor to the former owner of the copyright. Such games are called "abandonware".

I am not a lawyer but I can tell you my understanding of copyright law is that is not true at all. It's still a violation of copyright until the previous copyright is expired or until the developer releases the game into the public domain or gives some sort of freeware permission.

What sites like the one you mention do is they find games where developers fade away and claim the games to be legal which they are not.

The issue is no one is standing up to protect their copyright or it is not financially profitable to do so. What you have is a situation where sites illegally host games because they know the developers and owners wont fight them on it because there is no financial reason to do so or they are unaware of the copyright violation to began wtih. That doesn't make it legal.

Failing to support a game or actively protect it's IP doesn't negate copyright law, it just means there's no one actively enforcing it.

< Message edited by flanyboy -- 10/9/2013 6:59:37 AM >

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 20
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/9/2013 10:13:22 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Here's a question for you flanymeboy, if I already owned the game in another version of computer gaming like a Commodore 64 version and I found a PC version on that site that would run with emulation and we all know there's no backup law (to my knowledge) can I download the same product that I no longer can play on my C64 because it's ancient but will run with Dosbox or D-Fend with the PC version? I kinda look at it like the old vinyl records I used to collect, they used to run on my old stereo, now they run on my new stereo and I didn't have to buy new ones because I changed stereo's. This oh if you buy a new machine you have to buy a new product or software just don't fly. If there's a place to get old software I already bought then I shouldn't have to buy it again imho.

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 21
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/9/2013 8:54:25 PM   
flanyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Here's a question for you flanymeboy, if I already owned the game in another version of computer gaming like a Commodore 64 version and I found a PC version on that site that would run with emulation and we all know there's no backup law (to my knowledge) can I download the same product that I no longer can play on my C64 because it's ancient but will run with Dosbox or D-Fend with the PC version? I kinda look at it like the old vinyl records I used to collect, they used to run on my old stereo, now they run on my new stereo and I didn't have to buy new ones because I changed stereo's. This oh if you buy a new machine you have to buy a new product or software just don't fly. If there's a place to get old software I already bought then I shouldn't have to buy it again imho.

TECHNICALLY downloading a product you already own from that site would be illegal.

The way the law works from my own research that I've done is as follows.

If you have a game for the commodore or NES or any system you are legally allowed to create a backup file from that disk. You can then run it on your PC, emulator or whatever (assuming the emulator is legal which depending on the emulator it may be violating copyright or patents but that's far less clear). That's perfectly legal.

However if you download a copy of the game from another source it's illegal unless you purchase it.

The rule is basically you can backup the EXACT copy you own, but if you're copying another disk that you down own (which is the same as downloading a ROM or whatever) then it's illegal because you don't own the product your copying.

I know it sounds like a lot of technicality but that's how the law works.

Out of curiosity I did a lot of research on the matter because I was interested in what the legal status of NES or SNES ROMS was and that's how it works. You can copy the game you purchased as long as you're copying the physical media you own. You cannot copy someone else's disk or download a copy of someone else's disk.

The way backups work is you have to be backing up you're own copy not someone else's.

The same would apply to a vinyl record. If you use some program to copy the record you own and create you're own backup file you're in the clear. If your downloading a torrent or copy of the song from someone else then you're breaking the law.

I can backup my NES or SNES games myself but if I'm downloading a ROM from another source on the web I'm breaking the law.

< Message edited by flanyboy -- 10/9/2013 9:02:00 PM >

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 22
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/10/2013 9:04:37 AM   
Agathosdaimon

I have both cwg and cwg2 on cd and the can both run in win7 64bit, however for cwg 1, it has to run through a dosbox win3.1 install iirc - well i forget but i had someone fix that one up for me as it just could not get past the sierra install screen otherwise.

(in reply to flanyboy)
Post #: 23
RE: OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 - 10/10/2013 10:58:36 AM   
Iain McNeil

Guys abandonware or whatever you call is not legal unless you already own the game, or unless the original owner has officially released ownership of the IP and code which is not the case in the vast majority of cases. I am locking this up and removing the links to avoid any confusion.

< Message edited by Iain McNeil -- 10/10/2013 11:03:03 AM >

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OT The Venerable Civil War Generals 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI