Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Scenario - Generals Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Scenario - Generals Mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Scenario - Generals Mod - 1/19/2010 1:01:54 AM   
runyan99

The attachment is a new version of the 1861 scenario, which will not overwrite any of the stock scenarios. This mod does two things:

1) Incorporates the latest version of my leader mod. The emphasis of the mod is on more accurate ranks for some leaders than in the stock 1861 scenario. Most leaders have not been edited. A few changes to some high profile leaders include Grant, Sherman, Sheridan and Winfield Scott. Grant starts as a brigadier, so will take somewhat longer to achieve army commander eligibility. Sherman starts as a brigadier at Washington DC, and will be available to command his brigade at any potential First Bull Run. Promoting Sherman though the ranks to army command will be a challenge for the Union player. Players may need to make more use of other generals like Buell and Pope early in the game. Sheridan's rank has been lowered to brigadier at start, and changed to an infantry general, so will not dominate cavalry actions out west in 1862 as he can in the stock game. Generally speaking, the Union will be stuck with an assortment of low ranking cavalry generals early in the game. Winfield Scott's attack rating has been lowered from 2 to 1, so even if he does not drop over dead or resign, the player should consider replacing him as CinC. A handy resource for most generals rank and promotion dates is available online at http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/generals.html . In some cases, I have made a judgement call (within historical bounds) as to when to introduce a leader to the scenario, and at what rank, for gameplay purposes.

2) Level 2 forts can now be built at Fredericksburg and Atlanta.

Mod installation is as follows. Download the attached zipfile. Extract the contents to War Between the States/dat. It should ask to overwrite one file. Allow it to do so. Start up the game, and the new scenario should appear on the list.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by runyan99 -- 2/8/2010 3:37:48 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/19/2010 11:47:30 AM   
GBS

Good job runyun. I remember you from the ageod civil war forum. You were always very involved. I was mostly a lurker but I believe I used every one of your mods. In my view this is the best of the cival wars games that are out now and we havn't seen much mod activity at all. Thanks.

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 2
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/19/2010 12:14:04 PM   
GMeyer

Hi Runyun,
I downloaded your file and installed it in the data file.  Now when I try to run the game I get an error message: "Fatal can't load\dat\cwart.txt."  Any ideas?  Is this mod only the '61 scenario or the whole war starting in '61?
Good work!

George S. Meyer

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 3
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/19/2010 11:15:40 PM   
runyan99

I uninstalled, reinstalled, patched to 1.04, then downloaded the mod zipfile from the site, extracted the files to /dat, and the game started just fine. I don't reproduce the error. You may want to try a fresh install and try again.

(in reply to GMeyer)
Post #: 4
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/20/2010 3:19:19 AM   
GMeyer

Followed your advice, worked like a charm.  Thanks.

George S. Meyer

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 5
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/21/2010 5:41:26 PM   
runyan99

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

Good job runyun. I remember you from the ageod civil war forum. You were always very involved. I was mostly a lurker but I believe I used every one of your mods. In my view this is the best of the cival wars games that are out now and we havn't seen much mod activity at all. Thanks.

Thanks. I agree that this is a pretty good game. As a two player game, which is what I play exclusively, I think it works better than AACW, which I played for years. The move/reaction phase dynamic is great for simulating the movement of corps and concentration of armies for big battles.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 6
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/24/2010 9:55:31 PM   
wpurdom

Since SHerman was placed in charge of the Kentucky front prior to Buell until he was relieved due to the fact that he was considered overwrought, its not clear that his demotion is appropriate.

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 7
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/24/2010 10:58:34 PM   
runyan99

That's true, but do not confuse Kentucky with command of the Western theatre. After being relieved in Kentucky, Sherman went on to command just a division at Shiloh, not a corps or an army, in 1862. Further, the game starts in July 1861, when Sherman was in fact in command of a brigade in Virginia/Maryland.

Edit - Historically, Sherman didn't command an army in the field until late in 1863, when Grant left him in charge of the Army of the Tennessee. His time in Kentucky was mainly a desk job, as I understand it primarily concerned with the immediate defense of Louisville, and the organizing of new forces within the state. The completed forces were eventually organized into the Army of the Ohio, under Buell. While Sherman and Buell were brigadiers of equal seniority in late 1861, by March of 1862 Buell was promoted to Major General of Volunteers, while Sherman was sent on leave, and then given a lesser assignment under Grant.

< Message edited by runyan99 -- 1/25/2010 4:20:04 AM >

(in reply to wpurdom)
Post #: 8
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 1/30/2010 4:04:10 AM   
runyan99

If anyone is interested, I have time to try this mod PBEM. I'll take the Union side. PM me.

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 9
RE: New Scenario - Guns and Generals Mod - 2/8/2010 3:40:33 AM   
runyan99

Updated this mod today. A few more leader tweaks, and I have decided to go back to the default artillery values.

(in reply to runyan99)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Mods and Scenarios >> New Scenario - Generals Mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI