Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Linux & wine

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Linux & wine Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Linux & wine - 1/9/2010 3:18:53 PM   
Menschenfresser

A search turned up several older comments about JTCS not working with linux. I will probably try it anyway eventually and I know I shouldn't take others experiences as law, but has anyone gotten this to work with wine? I believe older games often have a better chance at running on linux.

I'm bored.
Post #: 1
RE: Linux & wine - 1/9/2010 3:38:52 PM   
junk2drive

I have an ATI card and tried with Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04, Wine 1.01, 1.12, 1.33, 1.34, 1.35. and tons of winetricks.
It loads very slooooow and once I get the game screen, the map is a garbled mess because it doesn't treat the magenta or white as transparent. I also tried using the x something window tip to force 8 and 16 bit but couldn't get that figured out.

Good luck, I hope you find the secret.

(in reply to Menschenfresser)
Post #: 2
RE: Linux & wine - 1/9/2010 4:34:40 PM   
berto

Several months ago, I too tried but failed to get JTCS working on (Ubuntu) Linux Wine.

Early MusiChicago, http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT, http://pikt.org
Campaign Series Lead Programmer, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226
AGElint debugging toolkit, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Linux & wine - 1/9/2010 6:00:31 PM   
Menschenfresser

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how quickly I fail. I have a few other games I'm attempting to move over to wine before I get to it.

I'm bored.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 4
RE: Linux & wine - 1/9/2010 7:31:34 PM   
berto

I have, with just a few minor problems, gotten John Tiller's BGS games to work in Linux Wine. Details here.

Also, I've installed and successfully run TOAW III in Linux Wine, with no apparent problems.

If you can get JTCS to work, I'm eager to hear of it.

Early MusiChicago, http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT, http://pikt.org
Campaign Series Lead Programmer, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=226
AGElint debugging toolkit, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Post #: 5
RE: Linux & wine - 3/21/2010 2:49:29 PM   
Menschenfresser

Total failure here.

I've tried with several different wine versions up to 1.40 and all the tricks I can muster. No go. Ugh. Very demoralizing.

I can get the intro to play very very slowly. After it finishes the game crashes. I've posted an update to the wine appdb along with the debug output.

I don't see any other way except to dual boot, or switch back to a windows only machine.

I'm bored.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 6
RE: Linux & wine - 3/21/2010 3:08:42 PM   
junk2drive

I gave up on linux for the present as all the games I'm working on do not run in Wine. Booting back and forth is a pain.

Post #: 7
RE: Linux & wine - 3/21/2010 3:42:54 PM   
Menschenfresser

Yeah, I'm really bummed. I've had good success so far loading games I've wanted to play: TOAW (COW & 3), SPWAW.

I'm bored.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 8
RE: Linux & wine - 4/4/2010 10:23:43 PM   
Borsook

All of the games mentioned should work under virtualbox. Not a perfect solution, but beats booting into windows. BTW WW2 time of wrath works flawlessly in Linux. :)

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

Post #: 9
RE: Linux & wine - 4/5/2010 5:42:21 AM   
junk2drive

Ubuntu with ext4 works a lot faster on this old box than XP. I fear though that VB with XP will be slower than native XP. Once I get 10.04 working well I will give it a try.

Does anyone know if I would have to update XP to SP1 SP2 and SP3 with VB?

(in reply to Borsook)
Post #: 10
RE: Linux & wine - 4/22/2010 5:19:57 PM   
Borsook

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Ubuntu with ext4 works a lot faster on this old box than XP. I fear though that VB with XP will be slower than native XP. Once I get 10.04 working well I will give it a try.

Does anyone know if I would have to update XP to SP1 SP2 and SP3 with VB?

there is not much point in updating XP if you just want to play some older games... You could even try older windows if you have a copy somewhere...

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 11
RE: Linux & wine - 4/22/2010 5:24:59 PM   
junk2drive

That would be the only reason for having XP on Linux, to play Windows games. XP is the only disc I own (3).

(in reply to Borsook)
Post #: 12
RE: Linux & wine - 4/24/2010 3:34:19 PM   
Menschenfresser

Finally sucked it up, partitioned my drive and reinstalled XP. This game and my Line6 guitarport were the main reasons.

I'll probably move TOAW3 over too because I can't get the alphablend graphics mod in the upcoming patch to work with wine. But will probably wait until after 10.04 release just to see how things fare.

I've been pondering another Matrix purchase and planned to poll the community about my shortlist of games as to how compatible they are with Linux. Good to hear about WW2 Time of Wrath. I haven't looked at that one, but I will now. Thanks.

I'm bored.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
RE: Linux & wine - 4/24/2010 3:46:47 PM   
junk2drive

One of my games just went to .Net 4.0 and that requires XP SP3 so I would have to do the all day update thing and then see if it is even worth doing. Doesn't sound like a fun project.

Post #: 14
RE: Linux & wine - 4/24/2010 5:30:31 PM   
Menschenfresser

I did just that last night. Started at around 9:00 pm and didn't finish until about 12:30 am.

I've never really bothered with inspecting a fresh windows install and how much space it consumes. The partition I'm using is 10 gigs. I wanted just enough to add windows and one or two games at a time. I don't play more than that. Right after the install, with nothing else added, I had 6.6 gigs left. I checked it several times before and after reboots. That was SP2. I then installed SP3 & AVG and suddenly I had a little under 4 gigs left. I thought it was an error, or temp files left somewhere, but no. I can't seem to find out why an update and one antivirus program consumed almost 3 gigs. I now have my line6 software and JTCS installed (and updated) and I'm down to 2.44 gigs.

I'm bored.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 15
RE: Linux & wine - 4/24/2010 6:23:09 PM   
scottgibson

But what was it with just SP3. I would not doubt the AVG taking a couple of gigs.

Post #: 16
RE: Linux & wine - 4/24/2010 11:45:05 PM   
Menschenfresser

So far as I can tell AVG is pretty small. I think it's gotten a bit too hefty over the years, but it's still nowhere near a behemoth like Norton.

I don't know where's the bulk. These are the folders I see when opening my drive:

DELL: 44 meg
Prog Files: 318 meg
Matrix Games: 1.33 gigs
Document & Settings: 533 meg
Windows: 3.75
Total: 5.975 gigs

Drive size: 9.78

Should be free (according to the above): 3.805
Listed as free: 2.01 gigs.

Where's that extra 1.8 gigs gone to? Is that cordoned off for windows swap, or something?

< Message edited by Menschenfresser -- 4/24/2010 11:48:34 PM >

I'm bored.

(in reply to scottgibson)
Post #: 17
RE: Linux & wine - 4/25/2010 1:39:16 AM   
junk2drive

System Restore takes up a lot of space. Check the settings.

My Windows folder is 4.66g. Yes Windows has some hidden files that take up that extra space. When you buy a new drive and install Windows you will see the capacity is less than you thought.

Post #: 18
RE: Linux & wine - 5/1/2010 7:57:44 PM   
Menschenfresser

Turn out to be the paging file set automatically by windows.

I have plenty of RAM and don't do any overstretching of my resources, so I should be fine without it.

Gained almost 2 gigs in turning off the paging file.

I'm bored.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 19
RE: Linux & wine - 5/1/2010 9:18:44 PM   
junk2drive

Meanwhile, Ubuntu 10.04 is out. I dl'd and burned a CD. Boot, get logo, black screen with nothing. sigh

Post #: 20
RE: Linux & wine - 5/2/2010 7:53:04 PM   
Menschenfresser

Sorry to hear that, hombre.

I upgraded a few nights ago (only took like 5 hours) and it's working fine here. Well, my computer still can't turn spam into whiskey but...I'm pleased nonetheless.

I'm bored.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 21
RE: Linux & wine - 6/17/2010 3:22:14 PM   
Wolfie1

This thread is quite worrying for me, my new PC arrives Saturday and it appears that none of you have got JTCS working with Ubuntu. Did anyone manage it?

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Linux & wine Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI