Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ's ? Are they worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HQ's ? Are they worth it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 12/28/2009 8:02:42 PM   
ETF

OK how do HQ's exactly work... Is there any effect to units that are not assigned to the HQ?
IF I have say a corp HQ does it have to be assigned to a ARMY HQ to get any benefits itself and/or pass it down to its subordinate units? If the HQ is out of range of its parent what happens? Anything?
Just trying to justify the Massive pp expenditure for aligning my units with nearby HQ's. Is it worth it in the early game?

My Top Matrix Games 1)CMANO 2) War In the East/Pacific AE 3) Ageod's ACW 4) Panther Games

Twitter PC Wargamer
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

www.facebook.com/wargamesimulations
Post #: 1
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 12/28/2009 8:18:09 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

OK how do HQ's exactly work... Is there any effect to units that are not assigned to the HQ?

I am only 90% sure of my answers here, so someone correct me if I am wrong.....
I assume you mean ground HQs. They have a positive effect to all units in command radius, regardless of the HQ those units are assigned to.

quote:

IF I have say a corp HQ does it have to be assigned to a ARMY HQ to get any benefits itself and/or pass it down to its subordinate units? If the HQ is out of range of its parent what happens? Anything?

Someone else answer this one....I don't know the effect, but I do know it doesn't matter if the Corps/Army HQ is actually assigned to the higher HQ. Just in radius.

quote:

Just trying to justify the Massive pp expenditure for aligning my units with nearby HQ's. Is it worth it in the early game?

No. The main reason to expend PPs is to transfer from a restricted to non-restricted command. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much of an effect (other than you can't recombine units unless they are all the same HQ)

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 12/28/2009 8:45:52 PM   
ETF

Thank you sir!

My Top Matrix Games 1)CMANO 2) War In the East/Pacific AE 3) Ageod's ACW 4) Panther Games

Twitter PC Wargamer
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

www.facebook.com/wargamesimulations

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 12/29/2009 7:16:59 AM   
Sardaukar

There might be some benefit in replacements etc. if LCU is attached to Command HQ within command range...but I am not sure of this. 

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 12/29/2009 3:06:01 PM   
wwengr

Command Headquarters -

• If no Corps HQ is in range, then Command HQ acts as a corps HQ (see below).
  • If there is a Corps HQ present, and the Command HQ is within 2x its range, it provides a bonus of up to 90% of the Assault Value of attacking units.
  • The Land Skill and Inspiration ratings of the command HQ commander modifies the bonus, so the higher the ratings, the better.
  • All Command HQ have lots of support squads and some have motorized support squads, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.
  • Some Command HQ have aviation support squads, so they can provide support to air groups (Japanese: 5th Command; Allied: Southeast Asia, Far East, and CCAHQ)
  • Some Allied Command HQ have naval support squads, so they can load/unload/rearm ships (North Pacific, Pacific Fleet, South Pacific, and Southwest Pacific)
  • Command HQ at a properly supplied base, can act as a source of replacements for Air Groups (with 20k supply present, if within range of the Air Group, Group gets replacements, if out of range, sub-unit is created at the Command HQ base... There are other ways for Air Replacements to happen)
  • Command HQ at a properly supplied base, can act as a source of replacements for Air Groups
  • Command HQ stockpile supplies and draw supplies through overland movement rapidly to their location. This can be useful for drawing supplies to an inland base.

Army Headquarters -

• Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to a 10% bonus to their Assault Value (whether attacking or defending).
  • The Land Skill and Inspiration ratings of the Army HQ commander modifies the bonus, so the higher the ratings, the better.
  • Army HQ have lots of support and some have motorized support squads, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.

Corps Headquarters -

• Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to a 10% bonus to their Assault Value (whether attacking or defending).
  • The Land Skill and Inspiration ratings of the Corps HQ commander modifies the bonus, so the higher the ratings, the better.
  • Corps HQ have lots of support and some have motorized support squads, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.

Amphibious Force Headquarters -

• Helps amphibious invasions suffer fewer losses. Invasions land faster with less disruption.
  • They must be loaded in an AGC and present in the invasion hex.
  • Amphibious Corps HQ are not Amphibious Force HQ. They are just Corps HQ.
  • Amphibious Force HQ do not function as a Corps or Command HQ.
  • Amphibious Force HQ have lots of support squads, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex (but you probably don't want to off-load it for this purpose).
  • Land Skill of the HQ Leader modifies the effectiveness of the HQ.

Naval Headquarters -

• Helps to speed ship repair time.
  • Good to have in a base that perfoms a lot of repair, but potentially useful in a forward base used for rapid repair or a repair near combat to save badly damaged ships.
  • The qualities and skills of the HQ leader has no influence or bearing on the HQ function, so a Naval HQ is a good place for your stupidist, most incompetant admirals to become heros.
  • Most Naval HQ have naval support squads, so they can load/unload/rearm ships
  • Some Naval HQ have support or motorized support squads, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.

Air Headquarters -

• Helps by allowing more aircraft to fly and allows more air units to be based at a base with this type of HQ, coordinating aircraft replacement/upgrades and supporting more groups at a base.
  • Air Group stacking at a base is improved by Air HQ. The best Air HQ of the same command as the base which is within range can add its command radius to the number of groups that can be administrated, or if not in the same command, the nearest HQ will add ½ its command radius to the number of groups. Important note: for this to work, the base and the Air HQ must be attached to the same command.
  • Level bombers not located within an air HQ’s Command Radius will have their number of planes flying reduced by 25% for Offensive Missions.
  • Air HQ have aviation support squads, so they can provide support to air groups
  • Most Air HQ have either support or motorized support squads, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.
  • All other air strike Missions by units outside an air HQ’s command radius will have the flying planes reduced by 10%.
  • Not sure if any of the leader qualities matter...

< Message edited by wwengr -- 1/17/2010 1:39:01 AM >

Disagreement is not disrespect!

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 11:24:57 AM   
vlcz

Sorry for re-raise this old post... I am sure as explained HQs are a very usefull asset, but wich (if any) bonuses are exclusive you need the HQ being the exact parent of the unit?

Two examples:

Army HQ- "Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to a 10% bonus to their Assault Value (whether attacking or defending). " ANY unit in range? even if they are assigned to an HQ in the other side of china (literally china btw...)

Air Headquarters - "Level bombers not located within an air HQ’s Command Radius will have their number of planes flying reduced by 25% for Offensive Missions. " Does it need to be his assigned air flotilla/ air division, etc , or does any Air HQ suffice to give the bonus

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 6
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 11:36:50 AM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: vlcz

Sorry for re-raise this old post... I am sure as explained HQs are a very usefull asset, but wich (if any) bonuses are exclusive you need the HQ being the exact parent of the unit?

Two examples:

Army HQ- "Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to a 10% bonus to their Assault Value (whether attacking or defending). " ANY unit in range? even if they are assigned to an HQ in the other side of china (literally china btw...)

As best I can tell, since the game does not show it's calcs, is that the HQ of asignment does not actually matter. Also, it appears that Corps HQ and Army HQ are the same and you get the bonus only once.

quote:

Air Headquarters - "Level bombers not located within an air HQ’s Command Radius will have their number of planes flying reduced by 25% for Offensive Missions. " Does it need to be his assigned air flotilla/ air division, etc , or does any Air HQ suffice to give the bonus

No, not as far as I can tell. It appears that any Air HQ suffice

< Message edited by wwengr -- 1/15/2010 11:37:41 AM >

(in reply to vlcz)
Post #: 7
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 11:57:54 AM   
vlcz

quote:

ORIGINAL: wwengr
As best I can tell, since the game does not show it's calcs, is that the HQ of asignment does not actually matter. Also, it appears that Corps HQ and Army HQ are the same and you get the
bonus only once.

No, not as far as I can tell. It appears that any Air HQ suffice

May the Emperor bless you wwengr Any other way and I would have meke a BIG mess in china´s Forces and airbases all over the pacific....

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 8
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 12:04:11 PM   
Sardaukar

Remember though, that for reducing administrative stacking penalty, both base and Air HQ has to be under same command.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to vlcz)
Post #: 9
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 3:48:23 PM   
freeboy

in other words the base and the HQ would be under Sopac for instance? U did not mean the base under the command of the HQ? sorry just confused

an aside it would be nice for the game to indicatewhen units got the help mentioned in this thread and when they did not , then we could see what works..

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 3:53:23 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

in other words the base and the HQ would be under Sopac for instance? U did not mean the base under the command of the HQ? sorry just confused

Yes, for example, if Port Moresby would be under SWPac and Fifth AF HQ also under SWPac and situated there, one would get full benefit. I think it was enough if base was within Air HQ command radius, but it was important that they were under same command.

There was lot of discussion about this in Tinian-thread.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 4:35:50 PM   
Chickenboy

No one has mentioned the 'pulling' of supplies by HQ units. This was a common use of HQ in WiTP and, I think, is also done in AE. Namely, HQ tend to attract supply movement towards them-makes resupply of units in front line combat more efficient.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 12
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 5:22:48 PM   
Central Blue

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

In addition to the ground covered by wwengr, they are incredibly useful for managing political points and OOB's in the most efficient manner.

For example, transfer the I Amphib to West Coast command. Now you only pay 25% of the cost to transfer units to it like restricted Marine Regiments or Raiders that you want to get into action. Then you can transfer the I Amphib to any command where you want its attached troops, and pay only the cost of transferring the HQ itself.

Want to get the Aussies out of Singapore? Transfer Eastern Command or I Corps to Malaya Army (or whatever it is called) and pay 25% of the stated cost.

It works the same way for Air HQ's.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 13
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 5:28:32 PM   
freeboy

WOW, that is important to know!! So the troops under the hq unlock with the HQ, seems obvious now but no so beforethis post!

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 14
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 5:34:08 PM   
freeboy

Did not know about amhpib hq in an AGC, is that something we have to convert too..??

I am suffering detail overload brain drain

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 15
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 5:38:51 PM   
Judykator

quote:

Command Headquarters -

What is Command HQ ?
Japan: Home DEfence Army, Kwantung Army, Southern Army, China EA ? Anything else?
Allied: ??

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 16
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/15/2010 5:40:47 PM   
Central Blue

quote:

WOW, that is important to know!! So the troops under the hq unlock with the HQ, seems obvious now but no so beforethis post!

It is so useful that in some cases I am willing to pay points just to get a unit into a Corp HQ, even if it is currently under a higher un-restricted HQ, such as the units that eventually constituted US XIV Corps.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 17
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 3:43:29 AM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judykator

quote:

Command Headquarters -

What is Command HQ ?
Japan: Home DEfence Army, Kwantung Army, Southern Army, China EA ? Anything else?
Allied: ??

Good question. It is not always obvious by the name. In the editor, it is any HQ identified with a HQ Type number of 101 to 109. The complete list is: (EDIT: Campaign Scenario 1)

Japan - General Defence, Kwantung, Southern, 5th, and China Expeditionary

Allied - West Coast, North Pacific, Pacific Fleet, South Pacific, Southwest Pacific, Southeast Asia, China Command, USAFFE, Australia Command, Eastern, X' Force, Z' Force, Soviet Far East Cmd, New Zealand Command, Canada Command, Far East Cmd (ABDA), Southern Command, Eastern Command, Northern Command, Ceylon Command, Trans Baikal Front, Free French Command, India Command, and CCAHQ

< Message edited by wwengr -- 1/16/2010 3:46:10 AM >

(in reply to Judykator)
Post #: 18
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 4:06:03 AM   
wwengr

quote:

Did not know about amhpib hq in an AGC, is that something we have to convert too..??

I am suffering detail overload brain drain

AGC is a US Navy ship type: Command Ship

AGC's have troop capacity, but can only load one type of unit and nothing else: Amphibious HQ

There are two classes. The Treasury 327' AGC [Treasury Class Cutters] (USCGC Campbell, USCGC Ingham, USCGC Spencer, and USCGC Bibb). These were actually Coast Guard Cutters that served as Amphibious flagships during World War II. They were named for United States Secretaries of the Treasury. In the game, they have a relatively low Troop Capacity, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

The C2-S Blue Ridge Class [Blue Ridge Class] (USS Rocky Mount, USS blue Ridge, USS Wasatch, USS Mount Olympus, USS Appalachian, USS Mount Mckinley, USS Eldorado, USS Estes, USS Panamint, and USS Teton). These were US Maritime Commission C2 design cargo ships converted into Command Ships. In the game they have a higher trrop capacity than the Treasury Class Cutters.

The sole purpose of these ships are to load Amphibious Force HQ (III US Amphib Force, V US Amphib Force, VII US Amphib Force) whose sole purpose is to coordinate amphibious landings. When an AGC with an Amphibious Force HQ loaded is in the hex with an amphibious landing, they have an effect as described.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 19
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 5:26:01 PM   
freeboy

can amphib corps HQ be devided and still influece landings? Do they need to stay one one ship?
Can they influence two landings per above thanks

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 20
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 5:55:24 PM   
flipperwasirish

quote:

can amphib corps HQ be devided and still influece landings? Do they need to stay one one ship?

I may be wrong, but I do not believe you can get a mulitple bonus from one (1) HQ unit. Off the top of my head I do no know if you can divide them.

Flipper

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 21
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 6:28:05 PM   
freeboy

but you can always see them in multiple ships and create units that way frags
So another ?, do these units, whole need to be in ONE ship?

(in reply to flipperwasirish)
Post #: 22
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 7:15:30 PM   
wwengr

quote:

If I recall correctly from previous discussions. Frags of HQ units perform no HQ function. They are nothing but support squads. The main unit performs the HQ function. Also, if I recall correctly, it does not matter how many frags have come out of the HQ unit, how disrupted the squads are, or how under-strength it is, the HQ has full HQ function.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 23
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 7:18:14 PM   
freeboy

ok, does the whole unit need to go one one ship? to function in the support of invasion function/.?
thanks

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 24
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 7:19:58 PM   
wwengr

Also, a full strength Amhpib Force HQ is 180 support squads which are each 10 load points as squads (1800 load points total). It takes two Treasury Class Cutters to load one (each cutter has troop capacity = 900 load points). Each Blue Ridge Class has more than enough capacity.

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 25
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 7:23:51 PM   
Q-Ball

Wwengr, THANK YOU for the clarification. I was hazy myself, I will now pay more attention to where those HQs are, and who is leading them.

On NAVAL HQs, I am pretty sure that after Patch 2, they also greatly help port load/unload; correct? They have Naval Support squads, I think that part is now fixed.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 26
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 7:34:19 PM   
Central Blue

quote:

Command Headquarters -

• If no Corps HQ is in range, then Command HQ acts as a corps HQ (see below).
  • If there is a Corps HQ present, and the Command HQ is within 2x its range, it provides a bonus of up to 90% of the Assault Value of attacking units.
  • The Land Skill and Inspiration ratings of the command HQ commander modifies the bonus, so the higher the ratings, the better.
  • Command HQ have lots of support, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.
  • Command HQ at a properly supplied base, can act as a source of replacements for Air Groups (with 20k supply present, if within range of the Air Group, Group gets replacements, if out of range, sub-unit is created at the Command HQ base... There are other ways for Air Replacements to happen)
  • Command HQ at a properly supplied base, can act as a source of replacements for Air Groups

Army Headquarters -

• The Land Skill and Inspiration ratings of the Army HQ commander modifies the bonus, so the higher the ratings, the better.
  • Army HQ have lots of support, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.

Corps Headquarters -

• The Land Skill and Inspiration ratings of the Corps HQ commander modifies the bonus, so the higher the ratings, the better.
  • Corps HQ have lots of support, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex.

Amphibious Force Headquarters -

• Helps amphibious invasions suffer fewer losses. Invasions land faster with less disruption.
  • They must be loaded in an AGC and present in the invasion hex.
  • Amphibious Corps HQ are not Amphibious Force HQ. They are just Corps HQ.
  • Amphibious Force HQ do not function as a Corps or Command HQ.
  • Amphibious Force HQ have lots of support, so they help reduce fatigue and disruption for units in the same hex (but you probably don't want to off-load it for this purpose).
  • Land Skill of the HQ Leader modifies the effectiveness of the HQ.

Naval Headquarters -

• Helps to speed ship repair time.
  • Good to have in a base that perfoms a lot of repair, but potentially useful in a forward base used for rapid repair or a repair near combat to save badly damaged ships.
  • The qualities and skills of the HQ leader has no influence or bearing on the HQ function, so a Naval HQ is a good place for your stupidist, most incompetant admirals to become heros.

Air Headquarters -

• Helps by allowing more aircraft to fly and allows more air units to be based at a base with this type of HQ, coordinating aircraft replacement/upgrades and supporting more groups at a base.
  • Air Group stacking at a base is improved by Air HQ. The best Air HQ of the same command as the base which is within range can add its command radius to the number of groups that can be administrated, or if not in the same command, the nearest HQ will add ½ its command radius to the number of groups.
  • Level bombers not located within an air HQ’s Command Radius will have their number of planes flying reduced by 25% for Offensive Missions.
  • All other air strike Missions by units outside an air HQ’s command radius will have the flying planes reduced by 10%.
  • Not sure if any of the leader qualities matter...

One thing I do wonder about is where to set the "Future Objective" for air and naval HQ's. Is it to the current base location, or to some future, or important objective?

All help is appreciated.

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 27
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 7:53:26 PM   
freeboy

Do u mean in an air hq? or ground?
I always assumed on ground the units and the HQ should match, but with an air u could have multiple units wit htargets, I gues true with ground..
Does it matter for command and is it different for higher order..
Boy I want someone to host a tutorial class sfor proper hq use!! thanks for the effort on making this stuff less fuzzy! SERIOUSLY THANKS

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 28
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 7:59:22 PM   
Central Blue

quote:

Do u mean in an air hq? or ground?
I always assumed on ground the units and the HQ should match, but with an air u could have multiple units wit htargets, I gues true with ground..
Does it matter for command and is it different for higher order..
Boy I want someone to host a tutorial class sfor proper hq use!! thanks for the effort on making this stuff less fuzzy! SERIOUSLY THANKS

I believe it is a big help to point Command, army, and corps HQ's to future objectives you wish to invade or defend. I am not so sure what you do if you have relocated the Asiatic Fleet to command a bunch of subs. Or what to do with air force HQ's that are attacking and defending a variety of hexes.

wwengr has been a very good resource on this topic, and I too thank him.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 29
RE: HQ's ? Are they worth it? - 1/16/2010 8:51:24 PM   
wwengr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Wwengr, THANK YOU for the clarification. I was hazy myself, I will now pay more attention to where those HQs are, and who is leading them.

On NAVAL HQs, I am pretty sure that after Patch 2, they also greatly help port load/unload; correct? They have Naval Support squads, I think that part is now fixed.

Yes, that is true. I edited the original post to explain the types of support different HQ perform.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HQ's ? Are they worth it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI