Reviews

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, simovitch, harley, warshipbuilder

Joel Billings

Reviews

Post by Joel Billings »

Here are links to three reviews that I've seen about the game. In the interest of full disclosure, I've listed all that I know of, good or bad.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/eagle-da ... review.htm

http://www.outofeight.info/2009/10/gary ... mbing.html

In German: http://www.gamershall.de/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=42

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
watchtower

RE: Reviews

Post by watchtower »

Just seen this review in the UK edition of PC Gamer. There does not seem to be an online version.

March 2010. BLITZ SPIRIT, Wallop middle wallop in Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich. by Tim Stone.

Next time you are feeling under appreciated spare a thought for Air Chief Marshall Hugh Dowding. A couple of months after he had led fighter command to victory in the Battle of Britain the miserable fokkers at the top of the RAF sacked him.

Playing the BOB half of this deep air operations war game is a fine way to remind yourself of poor stuffies achievements. The game might be a spruced up reissue of two ancient talon soft wargames (12.00 High and Battle of Britain) but the detail, originality, and commitment to history remain hugely impressive.

You can orchestrate two of WWII biggest and bloodiest air campaigns from either Allied or Axis perspective, every raid or intercept can be hand plotted. Roots, tactics, squadron selection, the lot. As well as hostile fighters and bombers you must contend with meteorological, technological and economic factors. The best laid plans of mice and airmen can be foiled by cloud over a target, a hole in the radar net, or an aligning aviation industry.

Considering the richness of the simulation the AI is highly capable, the learning curve surprisingly gentle. You'll grasp the basics of raid planning in a few hours, learning how best to use different plane types, or utilise tired or demoralised pilots, that could take weeks if not months of experimentation.

Sadly, the resurrectionists at Matrix haven't done much with the dated graphics or austere click heavy interface. Recommending this absorbing strategy gigant would be a lot easier if it's sorties were flown over a handsome total war style relief map. 72%

Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Templer_12

RE: Reviews

Post by Templer_12 »

Here's a good review from Finland:
-> Dome.fi

Conclusion with google translator:
"Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich is a stunning, shocking and gripping game. For those like me, and air war freaks. It offers a slow pleasure-filled moments of the air war for hundreds of hours. Enjoy, brothers, to the fullest".
ReginaldBednar2

Re: Reviews

Post by ReginaldBednar2 »

1) Have Gary type in comments over the entire code as best as can remember.
2) Next, via face-to-face, emails, ZOOMERS, etc., those who think they know what's in the code spill the beans, and
Gary types even more comments in the code.
3) Gary is done, done, done and we can now focus on what UI changes need to be made.
4) Write translator to convert clunky/obsolete language into C#, assuming it still exists. GATES will volunteer to get
unworthy volunteers to do this with user-friendly objected-oriented officially supported DIRECT-X whatever libraries
with detailed user-friendly (i.e., limited GATES profanity) documentation. This is for INTERNATIONAL WARGAME
PROGRAMING, worthy charity.
5) Readers who have actually suffered with the AI should be all that's needed to proceed .................................

If it's in the cript, it's in the cript!
Peter Fisla

Re: Reviews

Post by Peter Fisla »

I would love to see an updated version of this game...more friendly towards Win10/11....I know...I might be dreaming 8-)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”