Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO - 1/30/2010 12:43:16 PM   
Andy Mac

If they start in a TF the AI cannot control them its why short scenarios dont use the scripted AI mechanism and therefore work the same every time (e.g. Coral Sea)

So its either start in TF and not have any variability in the AI or have a variable AI

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 121
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO - 1/31/2010 1:47:59 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

kamis are not active.

I have 4 alternative Japanese AI scripts ready to go for the next release that will give more variability but if you hit them at Peliau before they are in a TF nothing I can do !!

Andy, I'm about five weeks in, have had huge surface and air battles (Japan lost big, but I have a lot of damage), and Saipan is stubbornly holding out. I'm sending another division.

If you're working on more AI scripts (great!), let me add my vote for an ahistorical, but maybe interesting, ploy of putting some fairly stiff surface forces at Truk and/or Wake to dash into the invasion TFs' flank. Perhaps you could leave this one as the historical scenario, copy everything and add some what-ifs and label it appropriately. Two scenarios for very little extra work. If you did that, you might also make the minefield at Saipan thicker (don't know yet if Guam/Tinian have any mines.) Also, maybe make one LBA unit and one fighter unit on one of the targets highly experienced.

Anyway, I'm haivng fun. I agree that the limited numeber of bases is a bonus and a curse: you know where the IJN is standing when it kicks off. If you could make Truk more of a problem you might go a ways to adding some sweat for the Allied player.

I also think this has legs as a PBEM. The Japanese player might try to meet the incoming TFs east of the islands and take out the amphibs (in a suicidal gesture) rather than fruitlessly duke it out west of the islands (in an historic suicidal gesture.)

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 1/31/2010 1:48:16 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 122
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO - 2/10/2010 5:42:17 PM   
vettim89

quote:

kamis are not active.

I have 4 alternative Japanese AI scripts ready to go for the next release that will give more variability but if you hit them at Peliau before they are in a TF nothing I can do !!

Odd that you say that. I am on my second play through and CV ENterprise was hit by a Kamikaze

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 123
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO - 2/10/2010 5:53:15 PM   
vettim89

I am at work so do not have access to the scenario. Several units at PH at start have the wrong targets. I know one of the AMPH Tractor BTN has SF as its target. Will the editor allow reinforcements to be preplanned for their target? Seems odd that infantry tasked to the follow up invasions come in targeted for PH.

I am still learning how to play AE but all in all the Japanese seem too strong for this scenario. The various models of Zeroes outperformed the F6F across the board. My strikes had a hard time penetrating the IJN CAP and only did so via overwhelming numbers just wearing the IJN down. Also, IJN AAA seems more effective than USN AAA which is the opposite of what it should be. US AAA should be murderous at this point in the war. That is more of a DB issue than a scenario issue though.

Overall, I like this scenario and am learning a lot. CAP levels and altitudes are tricky. Fatigue is a major issue also.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 124
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 2/14/2010 9:13:57 PM   
Knavey

Can't find the file to download the scenario. Know its here, but missed it.

Can someone link to it?

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 125
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 2/14/2010 9:19:00 PM   
Andy Mac

I started a new thread with just the scen posted in it

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 126
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 2/25/2010 4:59:17 AM   
jackyo123

where is the link for this scenario?

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 127
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 2/27/2010 12:29:19 AM   
Reg

quote:

I started a new thread with just the scen posted in it

Hey Andy,

Is it intentional that the 01Feb10 version of this scenario includes a scenario 2 AI file (aei002-13.dat) and is missing the aei013-04.dat file??

Thought I'd ask before I overwrote the scenario 2 AI file with yours as it does not seem right.

Edit: Oh bugger, too late. Has anybody got a V1101b copy of aei002-13.dat they could post (or is it a new file Andy??)

By the way, thanks for posting these scenarios and new AI scripts. Love your work...

< Message edited by Reg -- 2/27/2010 1:00:54 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 128
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 2/27/2010 2:41:45 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

Edit: Oh bugger, too late. Has anybody got a V1101b copy of aei002-13.dat they could post (or is it a new file Andy??)

I fixed it. I had installed these changes with JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler so I was able to roll back the aei002-13.dat file to 07Dec09 1:01PM version by uninstalling and reapplying the V1101b patch. This is a pretty good tool for managing mods and add-ons.

Looks like the 06Dec09 9:01PM date stamped AI file in the scenario .zip file is older than the V1101b patch release.

Thanks anyway guys.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 129
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 2/27/2010 8:43:53 PM   
NAVMAN

Greetings:
Have been playing around w/ this for a while. Cpl of observations:
1)My bombardment force of BBs got slaughtered at Saipan by the defenses.
2)Combat report noted a Kamikaze attack(d/n know they were active at that time)
3)Costal defenses seem overly strong/accurate.
4)Unable to use lba to bomb Saipan due to range considerations. I had thought
7th AF was able to bomb using B24s prior to the landing.
5)Jap. subs active.
6)Have not managed to capture Saipan due to high shipping losses.

Lots of fun. Much tougher than the corresponding scen in WITP. Still some
questions regardind withdrawal dates of land units. Namely, two(2) or three(3)
marine armor units show being withdrawn in three(3) days. They are therefore
not able to be used, it would appear.

Thx

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 130
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 8/17/2010 11:00:08 PM   
kbullard

Finishing up our first run of this scenario with Knavey. I'm the Japanese, it's late July and there's a chance for the Japanese to win if the land forces on Guam and Saipan can hold out. A couple OOB observations/questions:

1) The scenario includes the H6K4 Mavis patrol aircraft. Shouldn't they be the H6K5? The H6K5 was introduced in mid-1942 and has radar, which might give it a better chance against the Allied because, in theory, they could stand off a little farther. I've lost the majority of search planes to Allied CV CAP. It doesn't seem to matter what altitude I fly at.

2) I carefully protected the G4M2e Betty aircraft. When I finally tried to use them, they wouldn't fly. Based on my research, it looks like the reason is lack of availability of the Okha weapon. Is that the design intent? Without the Okha, the G4M2e's are useless!

Kurt

(in reply to NAVMAN)
Post #: 131
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 9/21/2010 11:37:03 PM   
CLEVELAND

Where is this scenario located? Is it part of an update?

(in reply to kbullard)
Post #: 132
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 9/22/2010 9:15:06 PM   
Lifer

This has links to Marianas, Downfall and Buccaneer:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2374456

Look at the later pages for links to the scenarios.  They are buried within the thread but they are complete and playable.

Greg

Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq

(in reply to CLEVELAND)
Post #: 133
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 3/10/2011 7:35:27 AM   
usersatch

How many damned aircraft do the Japanese have in Downfall??? I've destroyed more than 25,000 (to my 4,500) by Feb 46, but they seem to just keep coming and coming and coming.

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 134
RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO v1 NOW PLAYABLE - 3/10/2011 8:47:21 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: usersatch

How many damned aircraft do the Japanese have in Downfall??? I've destroyed more than 25,000 (to my 4,500) by Feb 46, but they seem to just keep coming and coming and coming.

I seem to remember a quote from the Letter to the Hebrews that was used in a similar context. "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever."

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 135
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: MARIANAS SCENARIO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI