Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy - 12/2/2009 4:53:35 AM   
Buck Beach

Looking as to how you other players handle Alaska between November through February. Do you curtail activities and if so, how much? How much resupplying do you do? Do you approach those months as just the cost of doing business with regards to damages and supply costs?

Interested in both AI and PBEM players.

How about you Japanese players. Do you conduct sub activities and what has been your experience with success and operational damage.

Anybody know what was happening in RL during those periods?
Post #: 1
RE: Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy - 12/2/2009 5:08:09 AM   
Central Blue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

Looking as to how you other players handle Alaska between November through February. Do you curtail activities and if so, how much? How much resupplying do you do? Do you approach those months as just the cost of doing business with regards to damages and supply costs?

How about you Japanese players. Do you conduct sub activities and what has been your experience with success and operational damage.

I am generally more worried about the sub threat to merchies than anything else. But I don't send ships to Nome until spring out of a sense of respect.

Prior to the latest patch I was using Dutch Harbor as a sub base against that AI's Home Islands, and that worked out pretty well so long as I had the subs moving to Dutch Harbor disbanded or turned around close to their arrival. Otherwise they tended to stack up enough damage to send them back to Victoria.

Now I am back in December '41 so I can't say how it will work out under the new system.

I don't know about real life in WWII but I have worked with one or two people that sailed in those waters. If you can believe sea stories, it seems like the kind of place that could take your mind off the war.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 2
RE: Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy - 12/2/2009 9:43:14 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Central Blue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

I am generally more worried about the sub threat to merchies than anything else. But I don't send ships to Nome until spring out of a sense of respect.

Prior to the latest patch I was using Dutch Harbor as a sub base against that AI's Home Islands, and that worked out pretty well so long as I had the subs moving to Dutch Harbor disbanded or turned around close to their arrival. Otherwise they tended to stack up enough damage to send them back to Victoria.

Now I am back in December '41 so I can't say how it will work out under the new system.

I don't know about real life in WWII but I have worked with one or two people that sailed in those waters. If you can believe sea stories, it seems like the kind of place that could take your mind off the war.

IRL it was definitely cold during the winter, but the warm-water Japanese current that curls past the Aleutians keeps it from being unbearably, arctic cold. IRL, the US Army started construction on new bases at Umnak (difficult, because it had no natural harbor, and they had to ship everything over from Dutch Harbor by barge) and Cold Harbor during the winter, and shipped substantial reinforcements up from the West Coast.

Operationally, IRL the biggest problem in the Aleutians wasn't the winter cold, or even the willawaws -- gale-force winds that can blow for several days at a time -- but the year-round fog, which made it impossible to fly two days out of three, and led to high operational losses of aircraft. IIRC, the fog was/is worst in the Spring. I wish we could have modelled the northern fog, instead of the "northern cold" in AE -- but that was out-of-scope.

Re: Nome. Nice touch. The winter ice packs expands to just north of the Aleutians, and retreats in the summer to what you see on the game map. IRL The winter ice also blocks access to the Kamchatka Peninsula and the Kuriles north of Etorofu. Something else that it would be nice to model in the game, someday.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 3
RE: Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy - 12/2/2009 9:58:11 AM   
vinnie71

I've taken over 2 islands (I think Adak and Kiska) and established them as bases for the subs in the area. Moved a regiment of Infantry + AA + Base forces with high Naval support and send 2 - 3 substantial convoys and hopefully Adak can be turned into a decent bomber base in 43 as well.

How do people use Nome? I always move the units there to the islands because I think its no use.  

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 4
RE: Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy - 12/2/2009 9:44:12 PM   
bradfordkay

I tend to load up on supplies at those bases in the months prior to the big freeze, and try not to send convoys that way during the winter months. Air units and subs that are based there just have to perform as best they can...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Allied player Alaska Cold Zone Strategy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI