Thinking about this game. Looks a bit like DTR.

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

Felix C

Thinking about this game. Looks a bit like DTR.

Post by Felix C »

I enjoy DTR. Is this similar how it simulates the campaign?
Nicholas Bell

RE: Thinking about this games. Looks a bit like DTR.

Post by Nicholas Bell »

ED-BTR is similar to DTR in that they both allow you to replay the aerial campaigns in similar ways, ie one selects targets to bomb, units to include in the raid, routes and waypoints, while the defender sets patrols and directs units to intercept. DTR is simpler because it only depicts the RAF bombing campaign in a limited period, and is abstracted in that a week's worth of missions are compressed into one night's battle.

ED-BTR is a different animal in scope. Much more detailed in many aspects. You play out every day, and have the ability control practically all the air units involved in the air war over Western Europe during extended periods of time (the 1943 campaign is 700 turns long, lasting well into mid-1945). You also have control over production rather than simply receiving replacement aircraft too. ED-BTR is deep, detailed, and very challenging.

So if you like DTR and you want "a little more" I think you will really enjoy ED-BTR and I highly recommend it (despite my pointed complaints in other threads).

*In the interest of full disclosure I am an associate of HPS and was a playtester for DTR*
Felix C

Post by Felix C »

Well two years later. Did not purchase ED-BTR due to the bugs.

Is it now playable? Good price with the special
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Felix C
Is it now playable? Good price with the special
I bought my copy on the day the special started and I am not sorry for it.

I think it's very playable; I haven't had any issues with Eagle Day. I haven't tried BTR.

I've played Defending the Reich also and I agree with Nicholas Bell's assessment--DTR provides a fun and easy approach to the air war (...at least Great Britain's night bombing campaign...), but if you liked DTR and you want to take the WWII air game play up five notches--try this one. I found I was able to get the mechanics down quickly and was able to start exploring various tactical combinations. DTR was more immersive but less detail/control. ED-BTR is less immersive but more detail/control.

It's a coin toss for me as to which game is "better". Both are fun to play.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”