Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat - 11/30/2009 11:11:48 PM   
gwgardner

... at least as the Axis

Both Italy and Germany are way over-powered in the campaign game. In my current game, it's late April '41, and I find I have 25 extra German corps (5 mech, 2 armored, a bunch of infantry), over what was actually used historically, that could be employed in Barbarossa, plus I have 900 PPs saved up, with three bulbs of research for artillery, tanks, and air. Since there's no mechanism in the game to force me to employ those extra corps in garrison duty in France, for instance, I'm free to use them againt the USSR. Making for a steamroller power against the Russian AI.

I hate having to put the human player on a 'hard' level, with the AI on 'easy.' A game ought to be balanced on the 'normal' level. But that may be the only way to make it fair.

I believe Uxbridge's EOT mod addresses this, but also changes up many other aspects of the game. Anyone playing that mod, what is your experience re the topic of this post?

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 11/30/2009 11:14:11 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat - 12/1/2009 12:38:49 AM   
Michael T

Personally I think there should be limits on the number of Corps/Divisions that each Nation can field (ala Third Reich). There were manpower limitations (only so many males of age in each country) and logistical limits for each country.

I think we need two distinct campaign games. One open an ahistorical version like the current 1939-1948 scenario. And one far more in line with historical WWII from 1939-1945. That would keep both the historical players like myself happy and the other free for all type players.

Many of the house rules discussed on this board need to be hard wired in to a historical WWII scenario. The number of house rules required to keep the game running along historical, dare I say realistic lines is too much of a burden for players to remember.

Like so may games published by Matrix this one has great potential but it still needs a lot of work by the designers/programmers. I am happy to support it like I have with EIA and others as long as we get there in the end

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat - 12/1/2009 2:01:04 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: krak

Personally I think there should be limits on the number of Corps/Divisions that each Nation can field (ala Third Reich). There were manpower limitations (only so many males of age in each country) and logistical limits for each country.

I think we need two distinct campaign games. One open an ahistorical version like the current 1939-1948 scenario. And one far more in line with historical WWII from 1939-1945. That would keep both the historical players like myself happy and the other free for all type players.

Many of the house rules discussed on this board need to be hard wired in to a historical WWII scenario. The number of house rules required to keep the game running along historical, dare I say realistic lines is too much of a burden for players to remember.

Like so may games published by Matrix this one has great potential but it still needs a lot of work by the designers/programmers. I am happy to support it like I have with EIA and others as long as we get there in the end

All points very sound. I hope the devs will include just such a mix of scenarios and enhancements.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 3
RE: one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat - 12/1/2009 3:09:08 PM   
Flaviusx

The same works in reverse. I can steamroll the AI as a Russian player. They've got a ton of tricks of their own a human player can exploit.

In the end, there's no substitute for meat intelligence. If you want a real challenge, play against a human. The game's AI is reasonable enough but it won't beat a veteran gamer.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
RE: one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat - 12/2/2009 8:28:40 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: krak

I think you are right, At the start of the 39 sen I count 33 German Corps????. The Italians have more Mech Div and mech corps than the Germans??? It's been some time since I looked at a 1939 map, but I think the Germans at best had no more than 9 Corps "INF" at start.

Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> one reason so many claim the AI is too easy to beat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI