Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Armada 2526 Series >> Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 12:07:11 AM   
Wade1000

Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order Number: DR147714024 Change Currency Hong Kong Dollar(HKD) Norwegian Krone(NOK) New Zealand Dollar(NZD) Japanese Yen(JPY) Mexican Peso(MXN) Danish Krone(DKK) Australian Dollar(AUD) Canadian Dollar(CAD) Pound Sterling(GBP) Euro(EUR) US Dollar(USD)
Qty Product Name Delivery Method Stock Status Price Remove

Armada 2526 $49.99

Armada 2526 - Physical + Digital Included

Sub-Total $49.99

Calculate Your Shipping
AfricaAlaska and HawaiiAustralia and New ZealandCanadaCaribbeanEuropeJapan and AsiaLower 48 StatesMexicoMiddle EastPuerto RicoSouth America

UPS InternationalInternational PostalEconomy Postal MailUPS OvernightUPS 2nd DayUPS Canadian EconomyUPS Ground

Shipping & Handling $10.85
Promo Code

Total $60.84

Digital products sold into some European Countries will have local VAT (Tax) applied.
Digital River, Inc., is the authorized reseller and merchant providing e-commerce services for this store. Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

----------

To add a physical shipment it's an extra $10 PLUS another extra $10.85. That seems unreasonable. I can simply go to Gamestop and get it for $39.99; that saves me the extra $20.85. I'm baffled by these Matrix prices and fees. I will call my local Gamestop to see if it's in. I can wait for them to order it if it's not in.

Some might say I can just get the download for $39.99. I prefer to have a disk(a box is cool too) for replaying insurance in the future.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Post #: 1
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 12:10:24 AM   
Erik Rutins

I'm checking on this, as far as I knew, the retail price was supposed to match our physical price.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 2
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 12:43:38 AM   
Aroddo

Lucky you. In germany the game ain't available at all. Well, practically no one know about that game in germany due to no advertising and no copies sent to major game review magazines, but anyway, no german retail version at all.

And when ordering from UK via Matrix:

Armada 2526		  				33,99 EUR 			
Armada 2526 - Physical + Digital Included 			
Extended Download Service		                 2,80 EUR
                                                         --------  
 				Sub-Total               36,79 EUR
		      Shipping & Handling		 4,72 EUR		  	
 	 	 	 	  		      -----------
 	 	 	 	  		      ----------- 	 	 	 		 	 	 
                       	 	   *Total	 	41,51 EUR

The digital download alone amounts to 27,99 EUR.

That would be $62,10 or $41,88 atm.

btw, I really wonder about the "Extended Download Service" ... as far as I know the steam downloads are available even longer (indefinetly) than the paid matrix service without any added costs at all.

Don't know if matrix has copy protection preventing you from securing the downloaded version, though. Still ...

Post #: 3
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 12:48:54 AM   
Aroddo

btw. 40,00 EUR is considered CHEAP for a new high profile title.
For new niche products like Armada it's probably apropriate.

And no, europeans don't earn more than americans. But hey, we got free health care. :P

< Message edited by Aroddo -- 11/25/2009 12:49:31 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 1:07:10 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I'm checking on this, as far as I knew, the retail price was supposed to match our physical price.

Thanks, Erik. I look forward to another response and a possible price adjust. I'm waiting awhile before buying from retail.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 1:16:13 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Wade,

I just heard back, our pricing is correct. By contract, our download price had to match GameStop's download price. In both cases, this is $39.99. GameStop also has the physical copies in their stores for $39.99, whereas we can't offer those for the same price based on our costs. If you must have a boxed copy and you are on a tight budget and a local GameStop has one in stock, you will save some money by getting it that way. For downloads, I believe we are the best option.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 6
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 1:19:28 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aroddo
btw, I really wonder about the "Extended Download Service" ... as far as I know the steam downloads are available even longer (indefinetly) than the paid matrix service without any added costs at all.

We were required to offer this by DR, to be frank. We originally had unlimited downloads forever, but DR required that we charge for that due to their costs.

quote:

Don't know if matrix has copy protection preventing you from securing the downloaded version, though. Still ...

Our download version can be easily backed up onto a CD for your archives, in fact we encourage this.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Aroddo)
Post #: 7
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 1:35:59 AM   
Aroddo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aroddo

quote:

Our download version can be easily backed up onto a CD for your archives, in fact we encourage this.

Encourage it more aggressively, like in marketing. Apparently some people really don't like to install these copy-protection rootkits. They say so very vocally.

Post #: 8
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 1:45:41 AM   
Erik Rutins

Aroddo,

We've been very open about that actually and one of the top positive comments we get from customers is that they appreciate that we don't make them deal with some kind of exotic DRM or assume that they are criminals. Just our usual serial number system and we strongly encourage keeping backup copies of all your downloaded games.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Aroddo)
Post #: 9
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 2:12:04 AM   
Wade1000

Well, mostly, I was trying to understand why there were TWO extra charges. $10 extra for a physical copy and another extra $10 for shipping and handling. I never saw that before but I guess that's what some companies do. I always thought the companies that do charge another $10 were including the shipping and handling in THAT.

Oh, well, no big deal. I was merley trying to inform and comment. I look forward to playing Armada 2526.

Post #: 10
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 2:37:26 AM   
Erik Rutins

Wade,

What it basically comes down to is that the extra money goes to Digital River. We have a "game on demand" physical process with them that doesn't require us to keep a large physical stock. Instead, each boxed game is created "on demand" when you order it and personalized with your order number, serial number, etc. and shipped out. This allows us to have boxed copies even for niche games, but the cost is higher than it would be to do a large retail print run. That's why physical copies cost $10 more than the download. In addition to that, there's the shipping and handling, which is handled out of the US or EU warehouses, which are run by Digital River. The cost there depends on the shipping option you choose and where you live and again we don't see a dime of that.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 11
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 2:43:45 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

Wade,

What it basically comes down to is that the extra money goes to Digital River. We have a "game on demand" physical process with them that doesn't require us to keep a large physical stock. Instead, each boxed game is created "on demand" when you order it and personalized with your order number, serial number, etc. and shipped out. This allows us to have boxed copies even for niche games, but the cost is higher than it would be to do a large retail print run. That's why physical copies cost $10 more than the download. In addition to that, there's the shipping and handling, which is handled out of the US or EU warehouses, which are run by Digital River. The cost there depends on the shipping option you choose and where you live and again we don't see a dime of that.

Regards,

- Erik

Alright, Thanks Erik. I appreciate the explanation. That aids understanding. Even though you were under no obligation to explain it, you took the time.

Good gaming! All your bases are belong to us.

Post #: 12
RE: Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop - 11/25/2009 8:25:40 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

But hey, we got free health care. :P

But, isn't that also where Dr. Frankenstein comes from?

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Armada 2526 Series >> Physical copy price: Matrix Games versus Gamestop Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI