Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New TOAW III Equipment Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> New TOAW III Equipment Editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/11/2009 7:19:40 PM   
parmenio

1.0.0.0: 11th November 2009. Initial release.

This a brand-new TOAW III Equipment Editor. It has been designed to replicate the functionality of the "Units" section of the original BioEd and updated TOAW IIII BioEd Editors but has been rewritten from scratch.

The user interface (and operation) of the TOAW III Equipment Editor is based on that of the TOAW III Scenario Viewer in that the hierarchy of the equipment categories and types is displayed as a navigable tree in one pane and a set of appopriate editing controls in another whenever a tree node is selected.

With the exception of the "master" equipment file ('Equipment.eqp' in the TOAW III Graphics folder), any appropiate .EQP file can be edited. Loading the master equipment file results in a completely read-only display. A "Save as" should be performed if the user intends to use this equipment file as a starting point.

There is an 'Autosave' option. 'Autosave' can be turned on or off (the user's choice is stored in the registry). When it is on, all changes to equipment data are automatically reflected in the underlying data structures (in memory) as the user types. When it is off, the user will be prompted to save if navigating away from the changed item to another entry. This does not affect actually saving changes to disc which is always a non-automatic action i.e. quitting the app or loading another file will result in a prompt for saving (which can of course be ignored).

Display of the 2D Icon file ('Equipment265.bmp') does not reflect its actual contents. The icons are extracted and displayed individually inside a container that is in Portrait rather than Landscape mode to allow all to be visible simultaneously. The icon numbers still run in row first then column order though.

It is possible to create too many equipment entries. Adding or copying will show a warning message when that happens but it will not be prevented - nor will saving the file. In addition, a count of free slots is shown at the top right of the display next to the "Close" buton.

Actioning the erase operation on the root node of the treeview removes all existing equipment entries - a single category with one type is added as a starting point. For an equipment category node its contents are reset to default values and all existing equipment type entries are deleted - a single equipment type entry is added as a starting point. For an equipment type node, its contents are reset to default values.

The "first" TOAW III Equipment Editor has been renamed to the "TOAW IIII BioEd Editor". Installing the newer application (i.e. this one) overwrites both the Desktop and TOAW III Folder icons of the original; it does not, however, uninstall it. Should you wish to retain both applications install V1.1.0 of the BioEd version here. The latter update installs to differently named icons - there are no code changes.

There are a number of hotkeys. Details are available from the website.

Shortcuts are placed on the Desktop and in the TOAW III Folder accessible from Start->Program Files. Uninstall should be done through Control Panel. Newer versions will automatically upgrade an installation.

V1.0.0.0 of the TOAW III Equipment Editor is available for download from here

Screenshot:

< Message edited by parmenio -- 11/11/2009 7:21:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 12:12:00 AM   
cesteman

I haven't tried this yet, but the link is confusing. I clicked on a lot of links/options before I finally clicked on v1.0.0.0 about half way down the page. Maybe a better download link would be nice.. I'll give this a swing and see what happens.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 2
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 6:29:59 AM   
parmenio

quote:

Maybe a better download link would be nice..

Yes. I'll try and style it a bit clearer and maybe move it up a bit. The problem I have is (and I've fallen victim to this in the past) is that you put the download link at the top and you get a post that says "very nice I'm sure...but are there any hotkeys?".

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 3
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 1:51:50 PM   
Silvanski

The "Weight" pane needs to handle 6-digit figures ... now it's generating an error message
for the German Maus tank which weighs in a hefty 188800...

< Message edited by Silvanski -- 11/12/2009 1:52:40 PM >

TOAW Retrofit Dude

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 4
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 3:59:14 PM   
parmenio

B*gger I thought I'd updated all of those ranges...

Thanks for the info.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 5
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 6:09:21 PM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: parmenio

B*gger I thought I'd updated all of those ranges...

Thanks for the info.

Now I see that the original bio-ed also has 5 digit weight input, so it's not something you overlooked... and the Maus is the only one going over 100000, but I'd like to add the British Tortoise and American T-28

and btw, thanks fr the great job on this, I like the compact lay-out

TOAW Retrofit Dude

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 6
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 6:14:14 PM   
parmenio

quote:

Now I see that the original bio-ed also has 5 digit weight input, so it's not something you overlooked... and the Maus is the only one going over 100000, but I'd like to add the British Tortoise and American T-28

Oh it's definitely something I broke since I'd already had the "Maus" exception. But you're right one of the last things I did was to compare my range checking against the old Bio-Ed.

quote:

and btw, thanks fr the great job on this, I like the compact lay-out

Thanks. I've tried to design it the way I wanted to use it.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 7
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 7:45:22 PM   
parmenio

1.1.0.0: 12th November 2009. Bug fix/Change release.

Fix: Range of 'Weight' was only set to 5 characters instead of 6.
Change: Moved top set of controls to a toolbar.
Change: All buttons now image-based
Change: Reload button added (Ctrl+L)
Change: Hotkey added for application close (Ctrl+X)

Homepage

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 8
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 7:57:43 PM   
Silvanski

That was fast 

TOAW Retrofit Dude

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 9
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 11/12/2009 8:42:01 PM   
parmenio

quote:

That was fast

We aim to please...

...although it was only a single character change 99999 -> 999999

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 10
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 12/4/2009 12:18:18 PM   
Erik Nygaard

Is this combatible with Win 7 ?
I get a windows error message even running in XP or Vista compability modus.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 11
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 12/6/2009 2:08:52 PM   
Erik Nygaard

Update:
The 1.0.0 version do work so I am able to continue working on my scenarios.

(in reply to Erik Nygaard)
Post #: 12
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 12/6/2009 7:10:41 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard

Update:
The 1.0.0 version do work so I am able to continue working on my scenarios.

....now I don't understand that at all. I'll have to run a difference check to see if there are any build settings I changed from 1.0 to 1.1.

(in reply to Erik Nygaard)
Post #: 13
RE: New TOAW III Equipment Editor - 12/14/2009 3:47:26 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

....and the French FCM F-1 surely

Anyway, good work. It was a bit arcane having to use the BioEd with TOAW III.

"Event 902: Bob Cross slays dragons!"

http://www.savemstateathletics.com/tdg/

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> New TOAW III Equipment Editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI