Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

3th & 4th of November

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> 3th & 4th of November Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3th & 4th of November - 6/13/2011 10:44:54 PM   
Smeulders

3th &  4th of November

China
Changsha holds another attack on the 3th, far fewer destroyed Japanese this time, but it's still a nice result.

SWPac
B-17 hit Lunga airfield on the 3th and 4th. The first raid goes well and Zeroes on the field are incapable of stopping the attack. On the second day Nicks tear into the bombers, throwing off their aim, damaging many and shooting down 3. The raids are being stopped for the time being.

Sub
A number of duds over the last couple of days.
* First USS Pollack hits a SC to no effect
* S-23 has a dud on E Kari, the same ship that sunk KVII days earlier.
* USS Grunion launched duds on the Japanese sub I-27 in the Marshalls.

The AE-Wiki, help fill it out

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 331
5th of November - 6/16/2011 1:01:34 PM   
Smeulders

5th of November

China
A regiment crosses the river from the North, flipping the last hexside to Japanese control. The crossing leads to a shock attack, but losses to the Japanese are light.

Northern Oz
Tomorrow P-40E and Kittyhawks will LRCAP over Darwin. The usual sweep is about 35 zeroes, followed by 30 Oscars & 45 Sallies. Against this 75 P-40E and 16 Kittyhawks will fly. The arrival of a construction regiment in Darwin did appear to make a difference, runway damage had been hoovering around 95 for weeks, the day after the construction regiment arrived, it lowered to 79. Would be interesting to see if this trend can continue.

Commonwealth forces
A huge convoy is disbanding in Cape Town. Large number of 6pdr AT guns and 25pdrs are going to the pools allowing me to outfit a couple more Indian division. Even more importantly, it will give me enough Grant and Valentine tanks to completely outfit 2 of the large 200 AV Indian armoured formations and start on the third.

Troop movements
A USA division is nearing Mombasa, from which it will move to India. I'm not yet sure if it'll move on to the Burma front or kept in reserve for amphibious operations.

Subs
For the first time one of my light ASW groups engages, I-1 is depth charged near Pearl Harbour, but no hits are recorded.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 332
6th of November 42' - 6/19/2011 11:44:17 PM   
Smeulders

6th of November 42'

China
After a long battle, Changsha has fallen to the Japanese. My feelings about the campaign are mixed, despite the long battle in Changsha, the campaign to take the complete Changsha region only took a month. I'd have hoped he'd take far longer to assemble the troops for this offensive, but instead he followed up days after my main forces retreated. On the plus side, it seems that about a 1000 Japanese AV was lost during the attacks on Changsha. Even though most of this is disablements it will take some time for the units involved to get to full strength again. The Chinese on the other hand lost nothing, the forces lost at Changsha will respawn in 30 days, giving 2000 AV. The corps for Changsha and Hengyang were chosen exactly so that they would increase in strength from respawning and this is what happened. Another interesting observation is that a lot of RGC forces (+/- 600 AV) were present for the fall of Changsha. Are they there to garrison the base ? And where have the large Japanese forces gone that were holding the flank earlier ? Only 5 of the around 20 divisions known to be in Southern China were involved in the Changsha fighting, there are about 15 (7000 AV) roaming around to find the next spot to attack.

Darwin
The defence of Darwin was a shambles, the LRCAP arrived piecemeal and was butchered by a 33 plane zero sweep. 4 Japanese planes are claimed for a total loss 18 Allied planes. There was hardly a CAP left to harass the bombers. A probable cause for the weak performance is the lack of a functioning radar in Darwin. A game of musical chairs is being played, with a radar set moving to Darwin and more aviation support to Fenton without short changing Katherine, once that is complete I'll give it another go.

Burma
And they're off. Huge forces are on their way to cross the river. Will the Japanese correctly identify the real thrust or not ? Of course he'll notice the troops to Mandalay take far longer than they should, but he can't know whether it's because it's really a diversion or a bluff. In the meantime, bombers will attack Mandalay almost exclusively, starting with airfield and moving on to the troops.... I'm just hoping there won't be too many troops arriving from Lashio before I've established my bridgehead. A second unit is spotted at my crossing location, no idea what it could be.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 333
7th of November 42' - 6/27/2011 11:47:37 PM   
Smeulders

7th of November 42'
Music festivals got in the way of our game this weekend, so it's been a while since the last update.

China
Forces are seen retiring from Changsha towards the East. The meagre reconnaissance assets that can be used in China will try to find out if a new offensive is brewing.

Northern Oz
The Japanese try to hit the LRCAP with a night attack on Fenton airfield, however they had already retired to Katherine. The Sallies hit thin air, while Darwin repairs some damage.

Burma
Troop movements are starting, troops might be moving out of Magwe towards the jungle hex, this might also be a bluff. The movement of troops from Lashio towards the West is probably genuine. ETA for the river crossing is 7 days at the current speed, but bombings might slow them down further.

The Allied air forces are getting back into the action by bombing Magwe airfield, nice effect with 50% damage.

SWPac
Recon is giving increasingly optimistic reports on the damage to Lunga airfield. I might even be able to actually close it down. A second B-17E group is flown into Luganville to carry out the attacks while the first group repairs its planes.

Subs
Two Dutch subs suffer moderate damage due to depth charges, both will survive.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 334
8th of November 42' - 6/29/2011 8:28:17 PM   
Smeulders

8th of November 42'

Burma
The IJAAF goes all out against the Shwebo airfields. Over 200 fighters and 60 bombers participate in the attacks. Runway damage gets repaired, but some service damage remains. The Allies keep up their attack against Magwe, but bad weather hampers the attacks. More strikes are coming up. Worrying is that the IJFAAF is able to mass a whole lot of planes here. There are at least 50 Tojos and some Nicks that haven't participated in the latest attack, for a total of 275 fighters in Burma.

SWPac
The B-17 don't fly allowing the fields at Lunga to repair. Fighters might be flown back into the base, but orders to attack are given again.

Subs
USS Greenling get 3 torpedoes on target, 2 of them explode and the troop laden xAP Kasado Maru goes down.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 335
Random Thoughts - 7/1/2011 5:53:52 PM   
Smeulders

It's been some time since I did a real post about the strategic level. With 1943 fast approaching it's time I start thinking about it as well, the Allied Juggernaught will be picking up steam soon and I don't know where it ought to be pointed for the greatest effect. This isn't going to be a post about that yet, but more a general overview of the war and the what and why of the current situation. No sense planning operations if I don't know what the use of them is.

CBI
CBI has been quite active for most of the game. Japanese offensives in China, Allied offensives in Burma, but so far nothing decisive. What do I want out of these fronts ?
In China its simple, they need to hold, force the Japanese to keep troops in the ground war and generally being a nuisance. If they can achieve that in 43' I'm happy. Canoerebels offensive in his game is a nice inspiration though, I think Joseph's positions in China are vulnerable to the same type of attacks. Large offensive stacks and spread out divisions along the rest of the front. However, I don't think I have the supplies to do something similar though, but once the Burma road opens ....

In my mind, Burma is immensely important. It's not going to give me the victory by itself, but it'll help hugely in two ways.
1) Supplies for China, I've said this over and over again, but it is the most important reason to fight in Burma. One more hex here (Bhamo) and I could start sending supplies into China, activating over 15,000 AV in China.
2) Drawing in troops, earlier on I was cursing every time a new division was sighted in Burma, but should I ? 9 Divisions are sighted, I think there should be about 12 unrestricted divisions at this stage plus whatever has been bought out. This is a huge part of the IJA, fighting in a small corner of the map. What is going to stand in my way once I start landing in other parts of the Pacific ? Burma is already assuring that I'll have dominance in any ground campaign that could come up. This is a key advantage I'd like to exploit and I'll take it into account in the next planning phase. On the other side, I'm sinking an awful lot of ground forces into this area as well. The strategic reserve for India is 1 division that will be arriving at Bombay shortly, not quite enough for any large scale offensives.

Oz
I've been neglecting OZ so far, fuel and supply are good, enough troops to defend, but I haven't attacked yet and basically abandoned Northern Oz. This has to change, I can't let Joseph know that he has nothing to fear in the DEI. He's got a nice number of bombers here, along with a division at Ambon. These forces need to be pinned into place and movement in and operations from Oz are a prime way to do so. If I can do so with a minimum of my own troops all the better, but the build-up should catch Josephs attention.

SWPac
What can I gain here ?  It's a long way from anything, but there is a chance for attritional fighting. Is that enough reason to continue the offensive ? Japan also seems weak here, so even though it's far away from anything it could still prove a quick way to the Eastern DEI. A large number of divisions (5/6) are in the area, so operational tempo would only be limited by naval forces. I also have to think whether those forces can't be better used elsewhere.

Pacific
Again I'm not sure what I can gain here. I'm nibbling around the edges a bit, but as long as KB is roaming around I can't go all out. Once they are gone this could become my main axis of attack quickly and a highway to the PI. It also seems like the best area to fight KB, I'd like a fight with KB, but how hard to push for it and how much risk to take ? Another consideration is the need for preparation. A lot of forces will be needed to keep up an offensive as it'll take at least 3 months to 'recycle' a unit for a new invasion.

NoPac
I'm not too interested in this front, it might be a mistake of me, but still. As the Japanese took one island in the Aleutians I will get a chance for a small show of strength.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 336
RE: 7th of November 42' - 7/1/2011 8:53:35 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Music festivals got in the way of our game this weekend, so it's been a while since the last update.

Music festivals? Where is the dedication?

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 337
RE: 8th of November 42' - 7/1/2011 8:54:26 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

USS Greenling get 3 torpedoes on target, 2 of them explode and the troop laden xAP Kasado Maru goes down.

Now you wont get any explosions for a month!

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 338
RE: Random Thoughts - 7/1/2011 8:56:03 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

I'm not too interested in this front, it might be a mistake of me, but still. As the Japanese took one island in the Aleutians I will get a chance for a small show of strength.
Starting in mid-43 you can probably kick him out whenever you want, and it is a good way to practice taking islands.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 339
RE: 7th of November 42' - 7/1/2011 9:16:21 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Music festivals? Where is the dedication?

I plead guilty, I squandered valuable gaming time. My only defence is that it was a lot of fun. (Going to make a note that I'll never use that defence in a real court of law.)

And about the Greenling, there is no need for the hyperbole, it's only been two weeks since my subs last hit anything. A good average isn't it ?

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 340
9th of November 42' - 7/5/2011 2:57:53 PM   
Smeulders

9th of November 42'

Burma
Only the Japanese strike in Burma today, the Allies seems hampered by the weather. The Japanese strike at Akyab, a good choice as it houses a lot of the high-quality sweeping aircraft. Even though those sweepers never arrived over a Japanese base they did take off though as none of them are hit.

SWPac
B-17 strike at Lunga, a nice number of hits are scored.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 341
10th & 11th of November 42' - 7/11/2011 8:56:41 PM   
Smeulders

10th & 11th of November 42'

Burma
The Japanese put LRCAP over Mandalay and a heavy air battle ensues on the 10th. Allied fighters manage a small win over the Japanese opposition in the morning. Unfortunately, the bombers only arrive in the afternoon when a CAP has re-established. About 10 Mitchells pay the price for this. On the 11th, Allied bombers choose new targets, a large number of 4E make their presence known by taking out Magwe again and the 2E engage Lashio. In the meantime Japanese bombers switch to bombing the ground units at Shwebo.

SWPac
More unopposed bombing over Lunga. The supply consumption at Luganville is increasing noticeably, some convoys are loading in Noumea to keep the bomber attack up.

Subs
One action of note, I-17 is spotted near Pearl Harbour and ASW groups are dispatched to take it out. 2 ASW groups engage it over 2 days and the offending sub is taken out. It's one of the few times I've seen Japanese subs near my bases. Let's hope the prompt sinking will discourage Joseph from placing subs close to my main bases.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 342
12th to 14th of November 42' - 7/20/2011 11:29:12 PM   
Smeulders

12th to 14th of November 42'

Burma
You know those moves you make that make you want to kick yourself. I made one of those in Burma. I had sent 18th British and 88th Chinese Division as a diversion towards Mandalay, just to get the arrows to show up on the map. Of course, that means I had to keep track of them and reset them at the right time, which I didn't .... On the 14th both divisions made a shock attack across the river and were slaughtered. Think battle of the Somme, both divisions were as good as wiped out. 88th Chinese is down to 0 AV, with only 40 disabled combat squads remaining, they retreated straight back to Shwebo. Outright losses for 18th British are fewer (About 30 squads), but they're hanging on to a bridgehead in Mandalay and will be thrown back over the river today. I'm going to take stock after that has happened. The rest of the offensive has been aborted, now that he can be sure about the real target he may or may not be able to bring a couple of division in position. I won't be risking the rest of my army in another opposed river crossing. Have to give it to Khyberbill, he warned me against this offensive and has been proven correct.

Some air fighting has been going on, Allied planes manage a small ambush and shoot down 15 Sallies over Katha. Joseph is switching to the occasional night raid as they seem . Not sure if I like that, but if he goes overboard he'll get a taste of his own medicine.

Subs
It didn't take 2 weeks for the next kill ! USS Sunfish hits a Sub Chaser, the small ship doesn't stand a chance and is obliterated. A number of other attacks are launched and end in dud attacks, including 2 attacks on Sub Chasers, 1 on a DD, 1 on an E and finally against an xAK.

In the meantime a large kill (6475 tonnes) for KXVII has been confirmed, the ship moves into 3rd position on the tonnage sunk list at a 9075 tonnes total.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 343
15th of November 42' - 7/24/2011 4:26:23 PM   
Smeulders

15th of November 42'

Burma
The 18has been thrown back over the river and in only 2 days a proud 440 AV division has been reduced to just 17 AV. Nearly the whole division has been disabled, but outright losses could have been worse. Most of the heavy material survives, a plus as that is needed to fill out several Indian divisions. Squad losses are heavy, but the pools are still deep, I'm short some 60 squads, but once the Indian divisions start changing their TOEs I might be able to fill them out.

China
The Japanese have brought up reinforcements and are attacking at 1-1 at Sining. No way I can bring in reinforcements, so I'll see how long this will last.

Subs
Sunfish sinks another Sub Chaser, his second in a week. Nice, but I'd like them to go after bigger targets. 

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 344
16th-18th of November 42' - 7/31/2011 11:01:46 PM   
Smeulders

16th-18th of November 42'

Burma
Not much happening, Allied heavies continue to bomb Mandalay, but are going to give a small night-raid against known Japanese bombers bases as a little revenge for another 60+ plane night attack on the 18th.

China
More fighting around Sining, but not much else.

Pacific
An invasion will hit Tabiteuea on the night of the 19th. No LCUs are expected on the island, but the Allies are still bringing a large force to hold the island later on. Carriers are in support to defend the large invasion convoys and to strike Tarawa harbour. I have some indications that it is used as a forward base for subs, so I might bag some auxiliaries.

Subs
Bad days for the Allies, one pig boat is sunk by air ASW in the DEI and a Japanese sub picks off a DD on convoy escort duty.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 345
19th of November 42' - 8/6/2011 5:43:08 PM   
Smeulders

19th of November 42'

Pacific
The landing at Tabiteuea goes smoothly. 2 USMC infantry and 1 engineer regiment land and secure the island. Seabees, base forces and CD guns stand off to debark the next day. A little scare when a dozen Betties swooped in to attack the invasion convoy. CAP didn't arrive in time to prevent the attack runs, but the betties only had bombs and didn't manage to hit anything. Half of the attackers were shot down after the attack runs.

The air strike on Tarawa was slightly overdone, a mistake in the orders meant that all SBDs in the Allied fleet sortied. Unfortunately there weren't any ships in the harbour, so a waste of good bombs.

The replay for the 20th shows that KB is reacting to the invasion, but more on that during the following update.

China
The attack on Sining continues, the Chinese barely get a 1-1, but hold.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 346
20th of November 42' - 8/7/2011 12:21:10 AM   
Smeulders

20th of November 42'

The turn started off brilliantly, SS-34 torpedoed I-123 in the Solomons and then the following screen came up.

All the AFBs know this ended in duds, but it is still invaluable information. It also left me with the greatest headache in the game. Though I don't know what KB's location was at the end of the turn, it is clear that they will be able to reach a position to strike Tabiteuea tomorrow. The question is whether or not their fuel situation allows it (intercept position indicates that the didn't come from Truk, but likely Japan)? The next question then is, do I want to give battle ? If all Japanese carriers are together I'm outnumbered by about 100 planes, if not the Allies will probably have the advantage. Finally, I'll have to think about the transports, which are rather too valuable to lose, but I also want another day of unloading for my second wave ...

Going to mull this one over during the night, and I'll see what I'll do in the morning.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 347
21st of November 42' - 8/8/2011 6:18:45 PM   
Smeulders

21st of November 42'

Pacific
I elected not to give battle and retreat towards Pago Pago for 2 reasons. Joseph wouldn't have advanced if he didn't have a good shot at victory, meaning nearly every Japanese flight deck available. That means that I would have been at a disadvantage in terms of aircraft. Second, due to the distance to Allied bases a defeat would have meant multiple days of Japanese pursuit, the slaughter of cripples and slower merchants would have been disastrous.

The position on Tabiteaeu is relatively strong now. Not too many CD guns got unloaded, but a good number of combat squads, engineers and aviation support troops are ashore. In 2 days I should have an airfield up and running. Give it 2 more weeks and the base dominates the Southern Gillberts.

Northern Oz
LRCAP appears over Darwin again and score a small victory with a 10-4. Even though a radar is now present the CAP was still small, only 18 fighters out of 91 fighters at Fenton fought over Darwin. The bombers were not hit.

The first infantry troops are on their way to Port Hedland, which will soon be built up. Troops to do the same at Broome are also being sought. The goal is to allow shipping along the Northern Australian coast again.

Wolfpack
A veritable wolfpack operated today. A number of USN subs were on their way to their patrol zones in a single TF when they ran into a Japanese convoy. Salmon, Seal, Skipjack and Swordfish launched torpedoes, but it resulted in only 1 non-dud hit.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 348
22nd of November 42' - 8/13/2011 2:45:17 PM   
Smeulders

22nd of November 42'

Pacific
Interesting move around Tabiteaeu, the rowboat brigade has been defeated ! Japanese LCUs suddenly appeared at every island around Tabiteaeu, I'd be surprised if they were more than 5 AV a piece, but they do prevent the bases flipping sides. All ships are now nearing Pago Pago, the invasion was nearly bloodless, with at most a couple of subs damaged by CV ASW. Tabit should move to AF lvl 1 next turn.

Northern Oz
No bombing raid over Darwin, but there was a zero sweep. Losses were small on both sides (though the Allies won the day), but the airfield at Darwin is recovering, with runway damage at 44. I'm wondering if I could base fighters there if the runway is open but the airfield services aren't. Of course they won't repair damaged craft, but I could ship those to Katherine or Fenton for repair.

Subs
Pickerel gets hit on an xAK near Hokkaido.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 349
23rd of November 42' - 8/15/2011 12:17:11 PM   
Smeulders

23rd of November 42'

Pacific
Tabiteaeu went to level 1. Recon on one of the surrounding islands supports my previous post, only 80 men and 1 gun garrison Beru. The carrier groups will retire to Auckland for some upgrades to escorts from BB to DD. The CVE group will support convoys bringing in supplies and some more CD guns/engineers to the island.

Northern Oz
Bit more fighting over Darwin and 33 Sallies bomb Fenton at night. A B-17 group of 36 planes will retaliate with a night-strike on Samlauki.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 350
24th of November - 2nd of December 42' - 8/29/2011 11:55:32 AM   
Smeulders

24th of November - 2nd of December 42'

It seems like I've forgotten to update the AAR for some time, but nothing earth-shattering happened in the past week or so.

Pacific
Quiet, Tabiteaeu is allowed to build up and is at AF 2 and 2 forts.

SWPac
Nicks over Guadalcanal shoot down a number of B-17 and damage some more. This temporarily halts the attacks, but recon suggests that damage is repaired only slowly so that's not much of a problem.

Northern Oz
Scared of the LRCAP attacks on Darwin are temporarily suspended. The mass of engineers at Darwin (97 engineer squads with 20 vehicles) take the opportunity to repair airfields and port at record speed. At the end of November and the first couple days of January bomber appear over Darwin again, but this merely slows the recovery of the town. The arrival of some more aviation support at Darwin itself allows me to put up a CAP, which is ordered for the 3rd.

A small air battle was fought over Fenton as a new Kittyhawk squadron was left on CAP against a 30 Oscar sweep. A number of Kittyhawks were shot down and one ace is wounded.

Burma
Burma has been quiet since the defeat at Mandalay, but 3 divisions are being shifted towards the jungle to attack Bhamo. I'm not expecting a quick breakthrough but the large firepower of commonwealth divisions should give me the advantage in deliberate attacks. In the meantime I'll be building my bomber forces for later ground offensives.

Subs
6 duds during this period, but also a number of successes.

I-123 somehow managed to survive the torpedo hit earlier, but S-34 hunts her down again and puts a further 3 torpedoes into the Japanese sub.
O19 hits a DMS near Brunei.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 351
2nd of December 42' - 9/11/2011 10:27:47 PM   
Smeulders

2nd of December 42'

As Joseph gets back from a vacation the game continues. This is for the second of December, last post only went until the first.

Northern Oz
Darwin is open for business again. CAP is flown by a squadron of Warhawks and P-38 each which slaughter an incoming raid. 35 Oscars tried to escort 50 Sallies and suffered heavily for it, with 20 to 25 of them downed. The bombers did get through despite losing about 10 to 15 of their number. In return 7 P-40E and 1 P-38G are lost.

B-17 strike at Timor and Samlauki, at Samlauki a number of planes are damaged, but none destroyed.

Subs
Sawfish got a dud on a fleet oiler near Truk. KB might be in the area if these are moving about.
Haddo gets a dud on an escorting DD near Marcus island.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 352
RE: 2nd of December 42' - 9/23/2011 1:45:22 AM   
khyberbill

What's the plan Bart? It is December 42 and time to start kicking some Jap butt!

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 353
RE: 2nd of December 42' - 9/24/2011 12:49:05 AM   
Smeulders

It's well and truly starting to become time for it, but the carrier numbers on both sides still scare me off. First off I'm going to strengthen my hold on the Souther Gillberts further, get a second base running next to Tabiteaeu. Once that is done LBA can take over and I'll start working my way up the chain. Next I'd like to gain a foothold into the Solomons, but I'm still figuring out how I'll do that. Ndeni to Guadalcanal is a big gap so I'll need carrier support, but that's dangerous with the Japanese airfields further back. I'm also thinking about transferring a number of cruisers and destroyers for operations along the Burmese coast. All in all I want to create a couple of fronts where my LBA and surface combatants can start brawling to spice the game and wear the Japanese down up until my carriers are strong enough to overpower KB. Ships are the main target in such an attrition war as planes and LCUs are so quickly rebuilt by the Japanese, but as you can tell it's been ages since something interesting has been sunk (on both sides).

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 354
3rd-8th of December 42' - 9/28/2011 1:18:59 PM   
Smeulders

3rd-8th of December 42'

Northern Oz
A sweep is launched over Fenton on the 3rd, but that seems to be the last of the Japanese air offensives over the area. Recon is starting to be flown Northwards. Port Hedland has gotten it's brigade and engineers are being moved in as well. If I could find the fighters somewhere for LRCAP I could soon start running convoys along Oz's North Coast.

China
The Japanese slam into the jungle line, halfway between Kweiyang and Chihkiang with a river crossing assault. The results are horrendous for the attackers. 30000 casualties are reported, a bombardment attack on 3 days later reveals a loss of 1700 AV (4500 AV to 2850), with 2 divisions reduced to 0. The Chinese lose some 400 AV, from 3600 to 3200. This is just going to be the first prong though, there should be at least a further 5000 AV ready for offensive operations.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 355
RE: 3rd-8th of December 42' - 10/4/2011 9:53:20 AM   
khyberbill

I see that you have been playing this game for almost two years now and have achieved just one year of game time! Once you secure Darwin you can push into the DEI and your foe's reaction, or lack of reaction can help plot your strategy.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 356
RE: 3rd-8th of December 42' - 10/4/2011 5:10:56 PM   
Smeulders

It's not a very fast game is it ? Right now we're in a rhythm of replay on D+1 and turn returns on D+2. Then there's the occasional break for holidays and the like, slow and steady as they say. The Darwin area is "secure" at the moment, but the sea lanes towards it are no-mans land in the best case scenario. I need those to get in enough troops and fuel, so first it's building up the bases in NE Oz. If he tries to interdict the sea lanes there he'll have to contest LRCAP and anti-ship bombers soon. Attacks into the DEI are long-term plans though.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 357
9th-11th of December 42' - 10/4/2011 10:46:12 PM   
Smeulders

9th-11th of December 42'

3 Days and the only thing I noted down was a 40 bomber attack on Lunga. The airfield remains firmly closed down. Next turn a tanker TF will unload at Pago Pago, after they clear the port I'll be loading up some transports and send in some reinforcements and supplies to Tabiteaeu. I'm going to risk a number of amphibs to do this as quickly as possible, but the carriers will stay in port. A CAP will be provided by Spits, P-38 and P-40 flying from Tabit's own fields.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 358
RE: 9th-11th of December 42' - 10/4/2011 11:40:26 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

A CAP will be provided by Spits,

Nothing better than Spits for CAP!

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 359
RE: 9th-11th of December 42' - 10/5/2011 6:22:26 AM   
Smeulders

I just wish I had more of them. Only 3 squadrons so far.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> 3th & 4th of November Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI