27-28th of September 42'
Recon bombing keeps piling on the bad news, the 56th Division is spotted between Lashio and Mandalay, together with elements of the 55th Division. We're up to 7 divisional equivalents located, with the 33th still known to be at large in Burma. Taking an average Japanese Division at around 450AV he has at least 3200 - 3800 AV, plus small change from tank regiments, RTA, etc. Even assuming this is all there is, my surge will not make me that much stronger in Burma. I have to wonder how much of his combat power is in Burma, this is still scenario 1, can he really do this without short-changing other areas ?
Skirmishes up North near Sining, recon corps are getting attacked by a division. Interestingly enough, this remote, isolated base is the best place to be for a Chinese soldier. An automatic production of 300 supplies per day means that I actually have 2 corps expanding here and I'm still swimming in supplies, while the rest of China starves.
On the 27th, Japanese subs were active, but not very successful.
* I-20 missed an APD running a marine raider battalion to Canton from Noumea.
* Still near Noumea I-29 was attacked by an corvette ASW group, though without any damage.
The Americans had a similar day
* USS Salmon had a dud on a sub chaser near the Home Islands
* USS Skipjack was attacked by an ASW group, but got away clean.
The 28th was very nice though
* S-44 is the only sub to disapoint, but though no fault of her own. She hits DD Yakaze near Kavieng, but its a rare S-class dud.
* S-32 then hits a medium sized xAK near Guadalcanal with a single torpedo.
* S-46 hits TK Bushu Maru (converted xAK, Std-C class) three times near Flores, with two torpedoes exploding. The tanker goes down burning heavily.