Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can you drydock a ship in one day?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Can you drydock a ship in one day? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 5:09:54 PM   
fbs

The game allows to drydock a ship in the same day without preparations.

Is that realistic? I thought that drydocking involved planning the position of dozens blocks in the dock, then setting all of them in place, use divers to monitor the setting down of the boat, and all that might be even more complicated for damaged ships.

The other way of asking is this: anyone knows how much time it was needed to prep a drydock for a large ship in WW2 times?

Thanks,
fbs
Post #: 1
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 5:17:21 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fbs

Is that realistic? I thought that drydocking involved planning the position of dozens blocks in the dock, then setting all of them in place, use divers to monitor the setting down of the boat, and all that might be even more complicated for damaged ships.

The other way of asking is this: anyone knows how much time it was needed to prep a drydock for a large ship in WW2 times?

Thanks,
fbs

isn´t it possible to prepare the dock in advance? If you decide to move a damaged/undamaged ship to drydock somewhere then you will have time to prepare the dock until the ship shows up I guess.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 2
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 5:45:31 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Thanks,
fbs

I have been in two drydocks and one ARD. All took only a few hours to dock. In one case, we were in a huge drydock and they brought another sub into it after ours had docked. I watched them set up for the next sub and it only took a few hours to put the blocks in place. As an aside, the first ship I was on that was dry docked was the USS Oak Hill (LSD-7) and it is in AE. Right after we were docked it was decided to decommission the Oak Hill and out of the dry dock we went. We were replaced by the New Jersey coming back from a West Pac tour on its way to decommissioning also (later put back in service by President Reagan). I dont recall it taking more than a few hours before the New Jersey was docked as well.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to fbs)
Post #: 3
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 6:01:59 PM   
treespider

I propose we have players prepare work orders and contract bids in triplicate...and submit those before we can even have the option of placing ships in drydock.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 4
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 6:41:55 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill
I have been in two drydocks and one ARD. All took only a few hours to dock.

Yes. There are two conditions; initial setup and final positioning, even back then. If you had the BuShips hardpoint plans, setup took a few hours (4 to maybe 10, depending on size) in 1942. Final positioning depended on your dockyard technology, but a good bunch of divers would have everything set for pump-out for a CV in about 6 to 8 hours after the gates closed in 1942. Given hydraulics in 1943 and on, this went to 3 to 6 hours. You could setup, dock, position, drain, and start welding on a BB or a CV in about 24 hours in 1944. If the BB or CV radios ahead for setup, you could dock, position, drain, and start welding on a BB or a CV in about 16 hours in 1944.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 5
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 7:14:53 PM   
freeboy

I appreciatte the amount of real planning needed to actually, correctly play this monster... another layer of planning is not needed for myself, perhaps we could deleat an entire level and create another game, War in The PAcific, the Battlw to Supply your Forces. The actual war plays out bases on a players ability to supply his forces.. oh wait . sorry we already have that!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 6
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 7:41:13 PM   
Don Bowen

I gotta admit I just don't think any increase in level of detail in this area is worth it.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 9:14:17 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

I gotta admit I just don't think any increase in level of detail in this area is worth it.

I agree. I think he was just asking a question about maybe +1 day delay to the start of dry-dock repairs, similar to the delay added to the end or when you pull a ship out of dry-dock early. Given the info provided it's pretty clear there is no delay needed, and certainly no additional complexity needed!

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 8
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 11:07:29 PM   
fbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

I agree. I think he was just asking a question about maybe +1 day delay to the start of dry-dock repairs, similar to the delay added to the end or when you pull a ship out of dry-dock early. Given the info provided it's pretty clear there is no delay needed, and certainly no additional complexity needed!

Yup, that was the intent. I was wondering around that when I gave an order for my artillery to load on a ship, and it would take 2 days to pack; and then I went to drydock one ship, it was immediate, so that got me to think.

With the answers above, that issue is moot. It is always nice to have knowledgeable people to ask questions (the closest thing I was involved with drydocking is to drydock myself on the bath tub )

Cheers
fbs

< Message edited by fbs -- 11/5/2009 11:10:18 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/5/2009 11:17:06 PM   
88l71

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

I propose we have players prepare work orders and contract bids in triplicate...and submit those before we can even have the option of placing ships in drydock.

Not the dreaded "Paperwork check" roll...

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 10
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/8/2009 9:40:39 PM   
FAdmiral

I know the repairing of ships in the new WITP:AE is very micromanagement but it seems to reflect
fairly close how it actually was, at least for the player. What I am concerned about is how the AI
manages this task. The manual says the AI uses the older WITP repair status. I am hoping this does
NOT give the AI unfair advantage in the repair ships mode. I would hate to think it would take me
6 months to repair a BB whereas the AI could do it in less time. Any thoughts on this !!!!

JIM

(in reply to 88l71)
Post #: 11
RE: Can you drydock a ship in one day? - 11/8/2009 10:00:48 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

I propose we have players prepare work orders and contract bids in triplicate

I am a government worker in a large city. Sorry, you will need to prepare a RFP before submitting any work orders. Then we will whittle this down to a bunch of finalists.

There will be no willy-nilly issuing of work orders!

Art comforts the disturbed and disturbs the comfortable.

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Can you drydock a ship in one day? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI