Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

using av and similar ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> using av and similar ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
using av and similar ships - 10/22/2009 5:18:40 PM   
admiral

I sent a AVP and a Catalina unit to Amchitka to monitor Jap naval activity. But after a week none of my Catalinas are working! It's obvious I left something out
Post #: 1
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/22/2009 5:37:58 PM   
Mike Solli

Supply?

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to admiral)
Post #: 2
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/22/2009 7:18:10 PM   
stuman

Everyone came down with frostbite.

Seriously the winter weather conditions in that area can have a very serious effect on flight operations.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/22/2009 7:28:27 PM   
witpqs

And as Mike said you do need supplies. Also, if your ship is at a base where it cannot disband into port, when it runs out of fuel it will take damage until it sinks, so send fuel!

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 4
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/22/2009 8:30:02 PM   
eMonticello

It's tempting to add a little supply capacity (say 150) to the large AV ships using the editor.

"Concept/Program: (Curtiss-class ships were) The first purpose-built USN seaplane tenders. These ships were meant to provide maintenance, repair, supply and command facilities to squadrons of long-range patrol seaplanes. They were meant to operate as base ships in forward areas, so they were heavily armed and had all the facilities needed to keep squadrons of seaplanes operating in forward areas for many months."

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/us_sea2.htm

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to admiral)
Post #: 5
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/22/2009 10:14:34 PM   
scott1964

Load up the AVD with supply and it will work. I done the same thing in Wienie Roasting with French Frigate Shoals.

Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/

(in reply to eMonticello)
Post #: 6
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/23/2009 8:54:33 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: scott1964

Load up the AVD with supply and it will work. I done the same thing in Wienie Roasting with French Frigate Shoals.

In other words, you don't need to land the supply?

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to scott1964)
Post #: 7
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/24/2009 2:41:40 AM   
Mynok

No. You want it on the ship.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 8
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/24/2009 9:35:07 AM   
PaxMondo

What other of these types of ship (support) need to have supply on board to function correctly?

Pax

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 9
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/24/2009 11:31:37 AM   
Helldiver

Yes, PaxMondo's question: do even support types like AGs need supply on board to perform the repair function? Is there a list of these ships which require on-board supplies?

Regards,
Helldiver

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 10
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/24/2009 1:15:10 PM   
eMonticello

quote:

In the stock AE scenarios, the AVDs have zero bulk capacity, which means they cannot be loaded with supply. It's a pain to set up a forward seaplane base when I need to use an APD to drop off supplies on my targeted island. Otherwise, when a plane is down for maintenance, it stays down without supplies.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to scott1964)
Post #: 11
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/24/2009 5:32:24 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: eMonticello

quote:

In the stock AE scenarios, the AVDs have zero bulk capacity, which means they cannot be loaded with supply. It's a pain to set up a forward seaplane base when I need to use an APD to drop off supplies on my targeted island. Otherwise, when a plane is down for maintenance, it stays down without supplies.

OK, this needs tweaking. How much supply did they bring?

Nosing around, I note the APDs converted from 4-stackers carried 144 troops, but no cargo, which suggests a couple hundred tons of supply at most. The AVDs had their forward boiler room converted to avgas fuel tanks. The purpose-built ones later in the war had 80,000 gallons of avgas, or about 250 tons (of supply), so the conversions probably had about 200 tons of supply.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 12
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/24/2009 8:18:06 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helldiver

Yes, PaxMondo's question: do even support types like AGs need supply on board to perform the repair function? Is there a list of these ships which require on-board supplies?

Regards,
Helldiver

Bump

Pax

(in reply to Helldiver)
Post #: 13
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/24/2009 8:54:33 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

quote:

I had an APD fully loaded a few turns ago and it was at 60 supply.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 14
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/25/2009 1:14:52 PM   
eMonticello

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

quote:

Nosing around, I note the APDs converted from 4-stackers carried 144 troops, but no cargo, which suggests a couple hundred tons of supply at most. The AVDs had their forward boiler room converted to avgas fuel tanks. The purpose-built ones later in the war had 80,000 gallons of avgas, or about 250 tons (of supply), so the conversions probably had about 200 tons of supply.

The problem exists for all AV ships. Without research, I've been using 10% of tonnage for AV and Barnegat AVP, 5% tonnage for AVD and Bird AVP, and 7% tonnage for Langley (only to keep it in line with the AV ships). That's roughly 800 (game) supply for AV and Langley, 120 for Barnegat AVP, and 70 for AVD and Bird AVP.

OK. With a little research (looking in Conway's), AV ships were designed to handle two squadrons (for several months) while Barnegat-class were designed for one squadron (duration is uncertain). Avgas for Barnegat-class is 80,000gal, Currituck is 278,000gal, Curtiss is 269,000gal, Pocomoke is 291,000gal, and I'm not certain about the other large AV ships but they will be 312,000gal or less.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 15
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/25/2009 2:16:35 PM   
herwin

I was using 6 pounds per gallon of avgas. If a ton of supply is a short ton, that works out to 1000 gallons being 3 tons. The AVs were about 800-900 tons (plus armament), the Barnegat class was 240+ tons, and the 4-stacker conversions had 30,000 gallons or about 90+ tons of supply. The ex-4-stackers supported 6 PBYs, and were also used as fast transports, carrying avgas, torpedoes, and bombs to Lunga. Their ASW fit was limited--one rack astern with 8 DCs and four K-guns.

< Message edited by herwin -- 10/25/2009 2:25:53 PM >

Harry Erwin

Post #: 16
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/25/2009 2:31:40 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
And as Mike said you do need supplies. Also, if your ship is at a base where it cannot disband into port, when it runs out of fuel it will take damage until it sinks, so send fuel!

Yep, sure do. Cargo field got dropped somehow. Dunno how. But fixed for patch-2.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/25/2009 6:39:36 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Yep, sure do. Cargo field got dropped somehow. Dunno how. But fixed for patch-2.

Great news. That will help JAP considerably as she has so many float planes that are so hard to stage right now.

Pax

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 18
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/25/2009 6:58:45 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Great news. That will help JAP considerably as she has so many float planes that are so hard to stage right now.

Yeah, don't know what happened. I mean, eee..verybody in the universe, knows AVs schlepped troops, and this and that and whatever. They will have some substantial cargo cap, something that allows some troop lift using the cross-loading table. You know, rack 'em, stack 'em, slack 'em and yak 'em.

Don't know why I didn't see this go away ... my bad. But patch-2 will fix.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 19
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/25/2009 8:59:52 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

... my bad. But patch-2 will fix.

Hey, not a bad, just an oops and that is why there are patchy's!

Pax

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 20
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/26/2009 1:52:29 AM   
JWE

quote:

Yeah ... but ... a few of us are 'officially' retiring after patch-2, so we need to make our part of patch-2 as good as it can get for AE.

So keep them cards and letters comming.

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 21
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/26/2009 2:07:32 AM   
stuman

quote:

quote:

Yeah ... but ... a few of us are 'officially' retiring after patch-2, so we need to make our part of patch-2 as good as it can get for AE.

Selfishly I am sorry to hear that. But I do not blame you. This has to be time consuming.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 22
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/26/2009 2:37:52 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

Selfishly I am sorry to hear that. But I do not blame you. This has to be time consuming.

I concurr, sorry to hear. Great job that you guys have done.

Pax

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 23
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/26/2009 2:43:37 AM   
tbridges

"Great news. That will help JAP considerably as she has so many float planes that are so hard to stage right now".

"she"?? The Jap side is female?

< Message edited by tbridges -- 10/26/2009 2:44:14 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 24
RE: using av and similar ships - 10/26/2009 2:50:24 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

Not to worry. I'm not leaving. It's just that after patch-2 the participation won't be quite as intense: passing the torch as it were. But some of us will be very involved in developing a private mod, and will always keep in touch with the core devs, and may even have a "gol durng it, dag nub it" moment or two.

I think one little thing is that Don has to slow down just a teensy bit, to let 6 or 7 of the cloud of ladies following him around, catch up; but that's just me talkin. just an example, of course.

< Message edited by JWE -- 10/26/2009 4:41:30 AM >

Home of DaBabes

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> using av and similar ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI