Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 11/29/2010 9:50:26 AM   
janh

Andy, I looked a bit more in detail through your scripting of scen1 in order to get a better understanding of how you organized things, and how you got most out of it!  Really complex what you produced, and I only am beginning to understand...  But I have a couple of questions for you, or any dev who can answer.  That would help me to get started with AI scripting.  Thanks!

- You said that assigned AI air units will pick bases in the sequence in the list:  Does this mean if they will not pick out the ones that are in range of the enemy (and best out of range of his assets), but populate them in sequence, i.e. it is possible that squadrons will end up useless if there is a base on the list that is out of range?  (for simplicity: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2274569#)

- How will AI behave, if two scripts are active at a given point that both will request the same (a) LCU, air unit, or (b) say both try to set of a large-max 4 CV TF (assuming there are only 4 available)? Will it be simply the first script in the scripting list gets them, but the 2nd hijacks them and puts them elsewhere?  Or does the first reserve them, and the 2nd simply quit since it is not finding enough forces?  Or does AI do some risk-gain assessment to assign them to the most useful of both scripts?

- Ending scripts:  I would like to create a script that goes "dead" or "defense" not upon fall of a base, or a on certain end date, but that can get stopped also by losses (air/naval/LCU) or lack of supply?  Or ideally, also but counting enemy at the assault base(s) (say "dead" if > threshold number of planes)?  Can you improvise something like that within the present scripting language?  Or will this be a case for the wish-list?

- Also, if I understand correctly "chaining scripts" only works for a one-to-one link, right?  There is no way that one script may depend on more than 1 previous one?  But more then 1 next script may depend on the same previous one, right? So I could use one "status script",  that could control (start or not) more than 1 follow up (kind of a supervising instance for a set of campaign scripts)?

- Starting scripts:  Is there a way to add scripts, that have a random starting probability (but defined date)?  For example take "Midway", and give it only a certain chance to start (and cancel other scripts that may interfere/request same units)?  Can this be done, or is the only random here the variant AI picks at scenario start?

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 31
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 11/29/2010 12:42:44 PM   
Andy Mac

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

- You said that assigned AI air units will pick bases in the sequence in the list:  Does this mean if they will not pick out the ones that are in range of the enemy (and best out of range of his assets), but populate them in sequence, i.e. it is possible that squadrons will end up useless if there is a base on the list that is out of range?  (for simplicity: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2274569#)

IN SEQUENCE AND YES THEY CAN END UP IN THE WRONG PLACE

- How will AI behave, if two scripts are active at a given point that both will request the same (a) LCU, air unit, or (b) say both try to set of a large-max 4 CV TF (assuming there are only 4 available)? Will it be simply the first script in the scripting list gets them, but the 2nd hijacks them and puts them elsewhere?  Or does the first reserve them, and the 2nd simply quit since it is not finding enough forces?  Or does AI do some risk-gain assessment to assign them to the most useful of both scripts?

1ST SCRIPT IN LIST WHICH IS WHY A LOT OF THE KB SCRIPTS ARE HIGH ON THE LIST AND A LOT OF LATER SCRIPTS ARE SET TO MIN SIZE - AI DOES NOT RISK/GAIN UNLESS I SET THE CV TF TO BE THE AMPHIB LEAD - IF I DO THAT THEN WITHOUT THE CV TF THE SCRIPT DOES NOT FIRE - I TEND NOT TO USE THAT FOR JAPANESE SCRIPTS BECAUSE THE EARLY WAR OPPOSITION IS USUALLY ACCEPTABLE AND I DONT WANT SCRIPTS TO FAIL AS THE AI MUST BE IN MULTIPLE THEATRES AT THE SAME TIME

- Ending scripts:  I would like to create a script that goes "dead" or "defense" not upon fall of a base, or a on certain end date, but that can get stopped also by losses (air/naval/LCU) or lack of supply?  Or ideally, also but counting enemy at the assault base(s) (say "dead" if > threshold number of planes)?  Can you improvise something like that within the present scripting language?  Or will this be a case for the wish-list?

NOT POSSIBLE

- Also, if I understand correctly "chaining scripts" only works for a one-to-one link, right?  There is no way that one script may depend on more than 1 previous one?  But more then 1 next script may depend on the same previous one, right? So I could use one "status script",  that could control (start or not) more than 1 follow up (kind of a supervising instance for a set of campaign scripts)?

1 TO MANY YES - MANY TO 1 NO - I USE TRIGGER SCRIPTS A LOT E.G. IF BASE X FALLS THEN SCRIPT Y ACTIVATES

- Starting scripts:  Is there a way to add scripts, that have a random starting probability (but defined date)?  For example take "Midway", and give it only a certain chance to start (and cancel other scripts that may interfere/request same units)?  Can this be done, or is the only random here the variant AI picks at scenario start?

NO ITS DONE AT THE MACRO LEVEL OF SCRIPTS BEING SELECTED

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 32
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 2/13/2011 7:19:27 PM   
Tullius

< Message edited by Tullius -- 3/17/2011 9:59:30 AM >

My Maximum Football Utilities:

http://www.abstract-football.com/max_tools.html

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 33
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 7/10/2011 5:14:49 PM   
Andy Mac

-a$$um3

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 34
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 7/10/2011 6:39:05 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

-a$$um3

????

Andy, can you clarify this just a bit?

Pax

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 35
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 7/10/2011 7:38:10 PM   
Andy Mac

Sorry its the AI debug command switch was puting it there si I can find it as I am needing to amend all my shortcuts when I work on the May 42 AI

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 36
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 11/29/2011 6:20:50 PM   
Andy Mac

This is the AI debugger extension it creates the AI debug file
quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

-a$$um3

????

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 37
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 11/29/2011 11:29:00 PM   
PaxMondo

Deleted. Got it figured out. THANKS!!!!! works great. awesome. Huge help in deciphering the AI.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 11/29/2011 11:58:23 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 38
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 8/3/2012 12:24:43 AM   
Andy Mac

bump

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 39
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 8/3/2012 12:50:34 AM   
Dan Nichols

quote:

This is the AI debugger extension it creates the AI debug file
quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

-a$$um3

????

Where does the AI debugger file end up? Do we use this as a command switch with the WitPAE exe file?

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 40
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 8/3/2012 2:25:20 AM   
Gary Childress

This is a good thread for modders to be aware of. May I recommend it be stickied to the top of the modding forum?

Please donate to Doctors Without Borders http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

[Permission temporarily granted by Matrix and Slitherine to put this in my sig as of 9/23/2014 - expires 10/23/2014]

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 41
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 8/5/2012 3:35:58 PM   
Andy Mac

Yes ts a switch on exe and it appears in save file folder as a text file

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 42
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 8/5/2012 7:10:27 PM   
Dan Nichols

Now I understand a bit more, it doesn't create a file for turn 1 it seems.
The file created says it is a land debug, is there an air and sea one also?

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 43
RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers - 8/5/2012 7:58:38 PM   
Andy Mac

The air data is in there as well

There is no naval one to look at the naval AI you need to load up the save the AI script controlling a specific tf is in the name of the TF

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Writing the Downfall AI - p.s. there will spoilers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI