Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The National Parks: America's Best Idea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The National Parks: America's Best Idea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/3/2009 9:58:44 AM   
IronWarrior

The new series by Ken Burns... anyone watching it? Great stuff! I've been lucky enough to travel around the country and visit most of the National Parks, they are truly amazing!

Histwar Belgium Campaign 1815!
Post #: 1
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/3/2009 10:12:38 AM   
Raverdave

Not just the parks, but the park rangers who always were full of knowledge when it came to the areas that they looked after.  A first class service IMHO. 

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 2
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/3/2009 4:08:34 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I find them to be a bit of a burden. Then you get evironmentalist whackos in the administration and they put you in jail for riding a bicycle in one.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 3
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/3/2009 8:30:51 PM   
IronWarrior

Agree Dave, if I had it to do over, that would be my career choice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I find them to be a bit of a burden. Then you get evironmentalist whackos in the administration and they put you in jail for riding a bicycle in one.

When did this happen? If it weren't for environmentalists, and historical figures like Teddy Roosevelt, these places would be lost to mining, loggers, and commercial developers. Seems to me it would have been 'whacko' not to save these places from short term gain and exploitation. Sounds to me like you haven't visited these places.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 4
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/3/2009 8:56:37 PM   
KG Erwin

Ok, this thread is dangerously close to being branded as "political", but I believe that our national parks are truly national treasures, and should be preserved in perpetuity. I will include Gettysburg National Military Park in this category. In this instance, preservationists, whether of the landscape or the wildlife existing thereupon, deserve their say.

Of the existing national miltary parks, I have personally visited Gettysburg, Shiloh and Manassas. Shiloh, arguably, is the best-preserved. Manassas, on the other hand, is the most-threatened by developer encroachment.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/3/2009 9:02:28 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/3/2009 9:11:47 PM   
IronWarrior

Absolutely! I grew up in Northern Virginia and had visited all the battlefields there. You are absolutely correct about Manassas, the over development also happens to be the reason why I left the State.

Wanted to share a picture I took at Yellowstone National Park of some bison and the majestic scenery (doesn't really do it justice though). This was the second time I had been there and can't wait to go again one day!

< Message edited by IronWarrior -- 10/3/2009 9:17:13 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 12:25:52 AM   
Greybriar

I was in Yellowstone and it was a great experience, as were numerous other national parks I have visited. If anyone has plans for going to Yellowstone, be sure to see the Grand Teton National Park first--it isn't nearly so impressive afterwards.

The national forests are also national treasures. I hope the parks as well as the forests are allowed to continue to exist.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

Post #: 7
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 1:55:46 AM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I was in Yellowstone and it was a great experience, as were numerous other national parks I have visited. If anyone has plans for going to Yellowstone, be sure to see the Grand Teton National Park first--it isn't nearly so impressive afterwards.

The national forests are also national treasures. I hope the parks as well as the forests are allowed to continue to exist.

Grand Teton National Park is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I liked it even more than Yellowstone - which I also enjoyed visiting. I hope they're preserved for posterity.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 8
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 3:39:26 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Ditto-I've seen that rational in at least two National Parks.

A couple of years ago I was at Yellow Stone. During a briefing at Old Faithful, one "ranger" made several very political comments-only a few people chuckled. I was rather surprised and was momentarily tongue tied-I wanted to blast him (verbally), but before I responded, he said; "I better be quiet before I get into trouble".

One time in Utah at the Cedar Breaks NP, I saw a female "ranger" tell a little girl (maybe 4 years old) to put a flower back that she had just picked and was giving to her mother. The little girls started crying. There were thousands, if not millions of those little flowers growing on that mountain, but one for a little girl was against the rules.

Again, at Yellowstone, you can't fish at the famous Fishing Bridge-you could before, but not anymore. It seems that the particular trout that inhabits the area in numbers (there are several types in the water there) is the favorite fish of the bears-don't want to stave the bears or deprive them of their favorite fish. The fish are quite thick in that area. Oh yea-if you happen to catch the wrong fish (elsewhere in the park), you better throw it back, but first you have to resuscitate it. Never resuscitate a fish before? Not to worry, there are signs here and there to tell you how to do it-I'm serious.

I don't think that it really matters about who is in office-environmental whacko's seem to have found a home.
The parks are generally beautiful sights worth seeing at least once. Generally, once each is enough for me.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 4:30:56 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Yes well, let's say for the tourists it might seem like a real wonderland but when you live next to one or frequently pass by one or actually want to spend a good amount of time in one the expereice is quite different.

I was once assualted while CARRYING my bicycle UPHILL in a national park by a useless bag of sh1t who callled a park ranger on me and the park ranger arrested me for having a bicycle on a prohibited trail in a national forest. I was later released without charges. I was walking !

Frankly, a godamn apartmnt complex is just fine with me in the park I was treated so poorly on.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 10
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 5:01:47 AM   
IronWarrior

Sorry about your bad experiences at the Parks, but honestly I don't think that a political ranger, a punk kid, or careful guardianship of a fragile ecosystem are reasons to demolish our National Parks. There are plenty of places where you can pick flowers or go fishing, it's really nice that there are places in this world free of the trappings of civilization and protected in their natural state. I know there are those that will disagree, and is a sobering reminder of the continued fight for the survival of these lands.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 11
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 6:05:43 AM   
Zap

I'll agree preserving the parks by Roosevelt was a good move. I really enjoyed Yellostone. And all the preserved redwood forest here in California.
But somtime later an ugly and unreasonable enviromentalist philosophy was hatched from the concept of preservation. I was unaware that it had taken ahold of the parks.

< Message edited by Zap -- 10/4/2009 6:07:10 AM >

Post #: 12
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 10:07:45 AM   
IronWarrior

Zap, some interesting bits I learned from the Ken Burns series...

Roosevelt was an instrumental character, but before him, Lincoln had signed the act that gave California the Yosemite Valley and the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.

The environmentalist movement was a direct product of the National Parks. It grew over the years because of the growing and constant threats. The dam built in Hetch Hetchy Valley in Yosemite strengthened the movement even further when people started to realize how vulnerable these lands are. Not trying to argue ideology or whether the movement is extreme, but once these places are lost they are gone for good. Countless efforts have been made to turn the Grand Canyon into a reservoir, clearcut the remaining Redwoods, etc etc. There has always been and will continue to be a constant struggle between those who would protect them against those who would exploit them for personal gain.

Anyways, another well done series by Ken Burns!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 13
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 10:46:04 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

Zmovement is extreme, but once these places are lost they are gone for good.

Not quite entirely true-nature has a way of fixing things-especially with a little help from men. My brother happens to have been involved in that work in a big way for the past 20 years in Oregon. There was an effort to repair damage done by old logging techniques-and I mean old. They were logging in those parts in a big way over one hundred years ago. They really didn't care what it took to get the trees down the mountains. No need to go into detail, but they messed up more tan a few parts of the coastal range which had an impact on salmon runs in a big way.

To make a long story short; about 2 dozen guys, in about 20 years, with some heavy equipment and some bucks from a foundation have almost completely restored the watershed in the southern half of Oregon's coastal range.

I don't have a problem with restrictions on off road travel in the parks and other rational rules. But those places are not the same with the control freaks in charge.

I go into Zion a few times a year. I have not had any bad experiences there-that I did not expect anyway. Actually, I had a nice trip up there this summer-reeady for a slide show?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 14
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 11:23:20 AM   
IronWarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

Zmovement is extreme, but once these places are lost they are gone for good.

Not quite entirely true-nature has a way of fixing things-especially with a little help from men. My brother happens to have been involved in that work in a big way for the past 20 years in Oregon. There was an effort to repair damage done by old logging techniques-and I mean old. They were logging in those parts in a big way over one hundred years ago. They really didn't care what it took to get the trees down the mountains. No need to go into detail, but they messed up more tan a few parts of the coastal range which had an impact on salmon runs in a big way.

To make a long story short; about 2 dozen guys, in about 20 years, with some heavy equipment and some bucks from a foundation have almost completely restored the watershed in the southern half of Oregon's coastal range.

I don't have a problem with restrictions on off road travel in the parks and other rational rules. But those places are not the same with the control freaks in charge.

I go into Zion a few times a year. I have not had any bad experiences there-that I did not expect anyway. Actually, I had a nice trip up there this summer-reeady for a slide show?

Oh yeah there has been a lot of work to restore salmon here, I am not familiar with the exact project you mentioned but have heard the stories about the logging and clearcutting- and salmon.

Yes please on the Zion pictures!

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 15
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/4/2009 1:04:46 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

I'll agree preserving the parks by Roosevelt was a good move. I really enjoyed Yellostone. And all the preserved redwood forest here in California.
But somtime later an ugly and unreasonable enviromentalist philosophy was hatched from the concept of preservation. I was unaware that it had taken ahold of the parks.

Another problem is that the Parks are so large and the Rangers so few that some enterprizing "tourists" use them to grow illegal plants.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 16
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/6/2009 6:34:58 AM   
ijontichy

My favourite national park in the US is Olympic National Park. The scenery can be utterly sublime. Spend a few days camping out there and you'll know what I mean. Good luck with the weather, though!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 17
RE: The National Parks: America's Best Idea - 10/6/2009 11:55:40 AM   
nelmsm

One of my favorite parks to sneak off to is Guadalupe National Park in West Texas.  Not a lot of visitors and if you hike up the mountain you can get some spectacular views looking east into Texas.  Some really nice canyon hikes there also.

Texas, where we have the death penalty and aren't afraid to use it.

(in reply to ijontichy)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> The National Parks: America's Best Idea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI