Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japanese) kick start (spoilers)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japanese) kick start (spoilers) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japanese) ... - 9/27/2009 12:43:08 PM   
Cougar_DK

Hi,

I'm reading, playing and learning Witp:AE as I go. I have no experience from any of the other games in the series and therefore need some more "when" explained than how, where and what.

So I need a little guidance from some of you regarding the pace (I know this is scenario specific) and what to do in a turn and what NOT to do.

I started playing "The Thousand-Mile War" scenario in pbem against myself just to try things out and then against US AI and this has led to the following questions:

• Would you move the "201 Ku S-1" and "54th Sentai Det" to Attu or Kiska on turn 1?
  • Would you move supplies and fuel to Attu and Kiska beginning at turn 1 (create TF and so on)?
  • Would you move 43rd Engr Bn and/or 5th JNAF AF Unit to Attu or Kiska? If yes then from turn 1?
  • Would you expand the airport on Kiska? If yes from the turn 1?
  • Do you protect Attu and Kiska with fighters on a Sweep mission from turn 1?

In my game vs the US AI, I got hit by their long range bombers. I have tried to catch them with my fighters but somehow nothing happens. I have tried giving "201 Ku S-1" a "Sweep" order and a high percentage of CAP in the airfield hex with out really hitting the bombers. I know its war and a lot can happen, just need some guidelines if I did something wrong or use my fighters the wrong way.

See this combat report:

quote:

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Apr 17, 43
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Attu Island , at 153,49

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged

Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 17000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 5 x 500 lb GP Bomb
8 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 19000 feet *

CAP engaged:
201 Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (4 airborne, 15 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 14000 , scrambling fighters between 14000 and 23000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morning Air attack on Attu Island , at 153,49

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 41 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 22

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 5

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B-24D Liberator bombing from 11000 feet *

CAP engaged:
201 Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 10 being recalled, 8 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 14000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 44 minutes

Afternoon Air attack on Adak Island , at 162,52

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 1

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 18

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
11th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 4000 and 5000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 17 minutes
18th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 3 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 11000 , scrambling fighters to 13000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 49 minutes
344th FS with P-40E Warhawk (0 airborne, 4 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 12000 , scrambling fighters to 12000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 20 minutes

Thanks for reading, and I'm pretty sure I will be back for more questions and new ones when I try as US against Japanese AI in the same scenario.

Cheers
Mark

Forgot to add that I'm playing the 1.0.1.1084e version...

< Message edited by Cougar_DK -- 9/27/2009 12:54:17 PM >

Cougars Corner
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japane... - 9/27/2009 4:07:52 PM   
herwin

The Thousand Mile War begins with the invasion of Attu under the protection of a large covering force. The Japanese player would be wise to avoid tangling with it. Later he will have enough carriers to do something about the Allied TFs.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Cougar_DK)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japane... - 9/27/2009 11:39:01 PM   
Knavey

I played it as Allies in a PBEM game. Thought it was a bit lopsided in the addition of assets for the IJN to oppose the Allied invasion. I think if the IJN CVs would have showed up IRL, then the invasion would have been called off until the USN could bring in a bit more to handle the IJN flattops. As it stands, 3 slow BBs and a CVE "supported" by LBA is not really a fair match. LBA in that scenario doesn't like to fly, and there are NO torps available for use by the Allies. My CVE did exactly what she was supposed to do...air cover for the invasion fleet but 27 fighters doesn't cut it. She ended up as a non-diveable reef in some VERY cold water around Attu.

Just my 2 cents. I do like these alternative scenarios...just would have added a little more.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japane... - 9/28/2009 2:59:51 PM   
Cougar_DK

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

The Thousand Mile War begins with the invasion of Attu under the protection of a large covering force. The Japanese player would be wise to avoid tangling with it. Later he will have enough carriers to do something about the Allied TFs.

Ok, you mean that I shall sit tight and only use my subs until reinforcements arrive?

Cougars Corner

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japane... - 9/28/2009 3:02:47 PM   
Cougar_DK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

I played it as Allies in a PBEM game. Thought it was a bit lopsided in the addition of assets for the IJN to oppose the Allied invasion. I think if the IJN CVs would have showed up IRL, then the invasion would have been called off until the USN could bring in a bit more to handle the IJN flattops. As it stands, 3 slow BBs and a CVE "supported" by LBA is not really a fair match. LBA in that scenario doesn't like to fly, and there are NO torps available for use by the Allies. My CVE did exactly what she was supposed to do...air cover for the invasion fleet but 27 fighters doesn't cut it. She ended up as a non-diveable reef in some VERY cold water around Attu.

Just my 2 cents. I do like these alternative scenarios...just would have added a little more.

Both me and my opponent is beginners in Witp so we learn while we play, trying to understand what to do and what no to do. We selected this scenario since it looks like the smallest scenario and some different units and types to play around with.

When we are done with this one, we will try out Guadalcanal.

Cougars Corner

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 5
RE: Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japane... - 9/28/2009 5:02:06 PM   
Knavey

This is a good one to learn on.

Do Coral Sea after 1000 mile and then Guadalcanal.

All will "introduce" some new aspects of the game in a progressively larger format.

My PBEM opponent and I had a multi year WitP game and there is still LOTS to learn in AE for both of us.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Cougar_DK)
Post #: 6
RE: Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japane... - 9/29/2009 8:57:19 AM   
Cougar_DK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

This is a good one to learn on.

Do Coral Sea after 1000 mile and then Guadalcanal.

All will "introduce" some new aspects of the game in a progressively larger format.

My PBEM opponent and I had a multi year WitP game and there is still LOTS to learn in AE for both of us.

Great - thanks!

Cougars Corner

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 7
RE: Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japane... - 9/29/2009 9:22:39 AM   
vlcz

quote:

In my game vs the US AI, I got hit by their long range bombers. I have tried to catch them with my fighters but somehow nothing happens. I have tried giving "201 Ku S-1" a "Sweep" order and a high percentage of CAP in the airfield hex with out really hitting the bombers. I know its war and a lot can happen, just need some guidelines if I did something wrong or use my fighters the wrong way.

Sweep will not do any good to you in fighting the LBs, this mission is aiming to fight enemy CAP, only by setting to 100' you will do any damage by strafing, but them your CAP% would be in a VERY bad position to intercept them.

For the combat result , nothing strange here, destroying liberators with zeros is a feat vary few can reach... your CAP achievement will be damaged planes (few sorties next time for them) and less accuracy. With luck they can be even forced to go back without bombing..But dont expect kills

(in reply to Cougar_DK)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario 5 The Thousand-Mile War - I need a (Japanese) kick start (spoilers) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI