Totally and completely off topic: Xbox Live players in here? Halo? ODST?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Chad Harrison

Totally and completely off topic: Xbox Live players in here? Halo? ODST?

Post by Chad Harrison »

Hi all

It has been funny to watch the game that I play change over the years. It has also been funny to watch games change themselves over the years. I have no doubt that we could all go on and on about this or that game that we all played and immensely enjoyed in the 80's, 90's and so on.

As most probably experience, with age I have drawn very, very far away from what is popular with kids these days. All the blood, guts, sex and swearing does nothing for me - especially with my little kids around the house and always wanting to see what daddy is playing. I have no doubt that still draws some gamers here to the modern games, but it doesnt for me. Which is why games like WitP or CM have dominated what I have played over the last five years.

But . . .

I have a soft spot for Halo. I dont know why my enjoyment of that game has lasted so long. But I really enjoy playing Halo. Anyone who has ever played Halo knows that it is most enjoyed with others. And therein lies the problem.

For anyone who has ever played on XBOX Live, I do not need to provide details on what types of *cough* kids *cough* play on there. I am assured from veterans that there are more obsenities per square word out of the mouths of those kids than there is on a real battlefield. This leaves me with very, very few people to play Halo with over XBOX live as I have a hard time finding people who are a little more . . . mature, grown up, not living in their moms basement, have a job, prefer to be outside, know how to work with their hands, know how to communicate with people face to face and so on.

So to get to the point, does anyone here play over XBOX Live? Specifically, Halo or ODST? ODST's new firefight mode is just screaming to be played with four people over live.

Its just a nice way to pass time while waiting on my next WitP PBEM turn [:D]

Thanks in advance

Chad

PS - no offense if you live in your moms basement [;)]
Barthheart

RE: Totally and completely off topic: Xbox Live players in here? Halo? ODST?

Post by Barthheart »

I hear ya man.

That's why me and my buddies that are spread all over the country right now pretty mush only play against each other.

Started with Halo, then Halo 2, now Halo 3. Some of them have bought ODST...but I can't seem to get too excited about it yet... will have to try it on someone elses machine first.

XboxLive gamertag: Gordo Bartheart
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Llyranor

Post by Llyranor »

I can say that this is easily my favorite Halo experience. It's still very distinctively Halo, but it plays very differently as well. As an ODST, you're a lot more vulnerable, so you have to play a lot more tactically. Pacing is also a lot better, with less filler. Firefight is also a blast in 4p. Great fun.

GT: Plutobux
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

Cool, thanks for the replies. I just sent a friend request to both of ya. My gamertag is: RisonAz.

If there are any other Halo lurkers in here, post your GT! Would be great if we could get enough of us to have some good Matrix Halo action [:D]
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I finally found a Left 4 Dead clan that had 'mature' players. The average age I think is 29 with me being one of the younger ones. The oldest is in his mid 50s.

You just have to keep digging and you can find clans of older players. I suggest going to the Halo forums and searching in the clan forums for clans looking for recruits. Some clans advertise themselves as wanting older players. In fact quite a few do.

Of course saying all that our clan may be older but by no means does that mean we are a kid safe clan :D
The swearing comes early and often and most of us enjoy a good whiskey or cocktail while playing so by the end of the night there are some pretty brutal and complex swears being tossed back and forth.
If I had kids I would not want them in the same room as me.
However it is a pretty mature group. No team killing idiots, guys who work together and use voice chat and most importantly guys who play hard but do not take losing too seriously.
We certainly do not like losing, but it is not the end of the world if we do.
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

You just have to keep digging and you can find clans of older players. I suggest going to the Halo forums and searching in the clan forums for clans looking for recruits. Some clans advertise themselves as wanting older players. In fact quite a few do.

Yeah, I have not done that yet and it is not a bad idea. I might have to hop on there and take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Ever fancy Halo Fallschirmjager? [:D]
wesy

Post by wesy »

just picked ODST up at the company store...my gamer tag is legitmusashi
"I ran into Isosceles. He had a great idea for a new triangle!"...Woody Allen
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

Yeah, I have not done that yet and it is not a bad idea. I might have to hop on there and take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

Ever fancy Halo Fallschirmjager? [:D]

I have Halo 3 and have played it some on multiplayer. Unfortunately the year it came out was the same year COD4 came out and I much prefered COD over Halo.
Now I play a lot of L4D and waiting on Modern Warfare 2
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

. . . and I much prefered COD over Halo.

No problems there. Thats the beauty of personal taste! [:D]

Okay, so theres four of us now. I have sent a friend request to all of you.

Any other closet Halo players out there?
gekkoguy35

Post by gekkoguy35 »

I've been playing halo 3 for a while, but I'm a pretty mediocre player when it comes to online stuff.  Picked up odst last weekend and am thoroughly enjoying it, although it is woefully short [:(]  It's great while it lasts though [:)]  You could definitly say it's a trip back to the classic halo, even bringing back a certain ridiculously awesome sniper-handgun

gt: gexmex

I'm rubbish at COD, which is probably why I stick to operational type modern warefare games [:'(]
jazzinator

Post by jazzinator »

Hi all,

I'm a 38 yo professional who still indulges in some HALO. Would gladly like to find some other adults for some ODST and other Xbox play.  Gamertag: Jazzinator.

Also play L4D, CODs... just don't play as much as I like since I have to wait until my wife & little guys are asleep & I have enough energy to go.
Jeffrey Schultz
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

Sent a FR to both of ya. See you online [:D]
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

I have xbox and all halos and the books even but still I dont get what people see in them. There are much better shooters atleast on PC. Halo seems a bit average when compared.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

I dont know what it is. It is not necessarily better looking than the others. Or have some really cool feature that the others dont. Obviously as with any game, personal taste is a *huge* factor.

Just something about Halo clicks with me and I enjoy it more than any other shooter out there. So much so, that I dont even both with other shooters anymore.

WitP (and now AE) has had the same affect on me. I only really play three series of games: WitP, Halo, and the Combat Missions.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Is it even possible to go off topic in the General Discussion forum? As long as you don't talk politics, religion or spam...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
gekkoguy35

Post by gekkoguy35 »

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

I dont know what it is. It is not necessarily better looking than the others. Or have some really cool feature that the others dont. Obviously as with any game, personal taste is a *huge* factor.

Just something about Halo clicks with me and I enjoy it more than any other shooter out there. So much so, that I dont even both with other shooters anymore.

+1

I just seem to find it immensely entertaining for some reason, especially now that there's a bit of fresh content thrown into the mix. [:)] I was never really into the second halo though, for some reason I just never played it.

On a tangent, any of you other ODST players who happen to be reading this thread as happy as I am that the Flood do not make an appearance in this game?
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy82

On a tangent, any of you other ODST players who happen to be reading this thread as happy as I am that the Flood do not make an appearance in this game?

* * * SPOILERS TO ODST * * *

I really, really enjoyed the ODST campaign. It was fresh, unique and didnt have the flood [:D] I liked the switch between the day and night, and the defecting engineer at the end was a nice twist to a story you thought you had figured out. So am I suppose to feel bad about killing all those engineers in firefight now? [;)]

The flood has always been a love/hate thing in Halo for me. They can be annoying, but it makes for a great story backdrop and interesting fights.
mjk428

Post by mjk428 »

ORIGINAL: gekkoguy82

Yes, I was very happy. At one point a ship came in overhead while sneaking through a dark portion of the streets and my first thought was: "Please don't be a Flood ship." OTOH, the introduction of The Flood in Halo 1 was a great moment in gaming. I got chills. Also, as much as I disliked slogging through the flood lair in Halo 3, it did provide a real sense of accomplishment when I reached my goal.

I'm a late comer to the Halo party. I played the first Halo just a couple of months before Halo 3 released. At first I only played online with my nephews but eventually got into matchmaking games.

I'm loving Firefight and plain old Halo seems a little dull in comparison.

GT: Link Appleyard.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Holy crap Chad it was 20 in Flag this morning. It was 66 here and I about froze. Over 100 on Monday. Beautiful place you live in but I can't take the altitude or cold.

Back to off topic...
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Hey Chad (and others),

Have you messed around with Forge mode in Halo3? It's a blast. It takes a loooong time to get used to and build anything but once you do it really opens up the game. Only the match leader needs to have the new map for others to play on it. Great fun with auto exploding devices, changing scenery etc.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Return to “General Discussion”