Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Note About IE8

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Note About IE8 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 12:35:21 AM   
KG Erwin

Shaun will soon make PureSim only compatible with IE8, so if you haven't converted, do so now. I've been using it for awhile, and have no issues with it. I fail to understand the reluctance to upgrade.
Post #: 1
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 12:39:40 AM   
GNDN

Microsoft's less than stellar track record perhaps?

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 1:31:06 AM   
KG Erwin

So, you have no specific complaints, GNDN? I am a previous user of IE7, and the upgrade to IE8 offered no deleterious effects to my PC.

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 3
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 1:36:54 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: GNDN

Microsoft's less than stellar track record perhaps?

The point I am continually trying to make is that it does NOT mean you have to use IE8 as your Web Browser. I just need IE8 to be installed because PureSim embeds it. Use FireFox or whatever you like to surf the Web.

IE is used on 95% of the screens in PureSim and I think it has served us well. I am just trying to optimize the game, and improve it's quality.

Frankly, in this case, it's no different than if I asked you to have the latest video drivers for your video card installed. I am not forcing you to use IE, just have the components installed on your computer.

Developer, PureSim Baseball

(in reply to GNDN)
Post #: 4
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 1:42:56 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks for the clarification, Shaun. I made an error in assuming that IE8 was a required browser in order to play PureSim. The components, however, need to be installed. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 5
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 1:48:51 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Thanks for the clarification, Shaun. I made an error in assuming that IE8 was a required browser in order to play PureSim. The components, however, need to be installed. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

KG, this is not just you, it is a common misconception. Believe it or not v1.0 of PureSim actually installed IE 5.5 as part of it's install! I cannot legally do this with IE7 or IE8. The good ole' days, I installed IE, nobody knew better and all was good :)

I think people hear "IE" and they surmise I am asking them to change Web Browsers. That is not the case, I just need the bits to be present.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 2:27:28 AM   
rjolley

You can't have IE7 and IE8 installed together, can you?

That would be the problem on my work laptop. I need IE7 for the Intranet sites and they don't support having IE8 installed just yet.

And I know, I know, I shouldn't have PureSim installed on my work laptop. But since I use it more than my personal laptop, I try to install what I like to use on it.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 7
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 2:31:02 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjolley

That would be the problem on my work laptop. I need IE7 for the Intranet sites and they don't support having IE8 installed just yet.

And I know, I know, I shouldn't have PureSim installed on my work laptop. But since I use it more than my personal laptop, I try to install what I like to use on it.

No, you can't, and that is a fair point. I should probably do some more testing as IE6 is the biggest culprit, IE7 and IE8 are solid.

(in reply to rjolley)
Post #: 8
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 3:58:53 AM   
Orcin

quote:

I have this problem also. It would be great if IE7 were still supported.

(in reply to rjolley)
Post #: 9
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 4:46:00 AM   
KG Erwin

deleted

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 9/26/2009 5:02:15 AM >

(in reply to Orcin)
Post #: 10
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 10:19:12 AM   
puresimmer

quote:

This may be a moot point if they have some sort of policy at work, but IE8 supports running in IE7 compatibility mode to handle this case.

(in reply to rjolley)
Post #: 11
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 10:33:36 AM   
rjolley

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

quote:

This may be a moot point if they have some sort of policy at work, but IE8 supports running in IE7 compatibility mode to handle this case.

Well, that's worth a shot. I'll have to take a look at the company's policy on IE8 and see if they've changed their stance in the last 6 months.

(in reply to puresimmer)
Post #: 12
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/26/2009 9:17:42 PM   
HotCornerDave

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I fail to understand the reluctance to upgrade.

On my PC, IE7 and IE8 unnecessarily eat up large amounts of memory. Do a Google search on IE7/8 memory usage or memory leak and you'll see that many people have this problem. IE7/8 doesn't properly close down the program leaving behind multiple running instances, each holding on to a chunk of memory, which eventually leads to miserable computer performance. IE6 does not have this issue.

That said, I will upgrade to IE8 for PureSim. I don't have a problem with that anymore. I now use a different web browser for personal use - problem fixed.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
RE: Note About IE8 - 9/28/2009 2:27:30 PM   
Wrathchild

The only time I ever use Internet Explorer for anything is to view my Puresim online almanac. And I wouldn't even use it for that if Firefox would display the pages properly. Internet Explorer has never been my first choice for browsing anything.

J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

(in reply to HotCornerDave)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Note About IE8 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI