Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help for a novice player.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Help for a novice player. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help for a novice player. - 9/25/2009 3:55:50 PM   
igres

Hello:

Some years ago, I played a pbem WIR game with a friend, and a solo game. Now, I'm trying to start playing again WIR.
So far, my problems are:
1) I want to play first a solo game, to learn again the game. I will play as the soviet, giving maximum advantatge to the german. I plan to follow this "house rules" to make the game challenging:
a) No attack allowed on blizzard turns.
b) No axis unit can be left with supply 0 due to soviet action unless totally surrounded by soviet units.
c) An army/corps/unit can only be supplied once (no limit to supply airlift).
If you have any suggestion about it, please post it.

Also, I have found in the "house rules" posted by a player that in a PBEM game, turns have to be done without saving except after combat. Can someone explain me if there is a problem with doing part of the turn/saving/doing part of the turn/saving/doing combat? If there is, does it affect solo games?

2) Due to a problem with my computer, I lost my WIR game. I downloaded Arnaud Bouis WIR, and I discovered that it was different to the version I played (Flanker Possum mod, with Dennis Air Stats). Is there a way to obtain Flanker Possum mod?

Thank you very much for the help & info.
Post #: 1
RE: Help for a novice player. - 9/26/2009 4:36:12 PM   
Rasputitsa

I have sent a PM to your address.

(in reply to igres)
Post #: 2
RE: Help for a novice player. - 9/28/2009 9:22:29 AM   
igres

Thank you, by now you should have my answer.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 3
RE: Help for a novice player. - 9/28/2009 1:43:37 PM   
Rasputitsa

Let me know if you want any more.

(in reply to igres)
Post #: 4
RE: Help for a novice player. - 9/28/2009 2:19:33 PM   
Rasputitsa

In answer to your specific questions

1a
That may apply to the German side, but the Soviets may have attacked in blizzard turns. If you apply this as Soviets, you may not be able to attack during much of the winter and there will be little Soviet winter offensive.

1b
The supply level is set by the game, it depends on distance from HQ and enemy control of surrounding hexes (not necessarily where the enemy units end their move).

1c
Some house rules forbid 'Supply Mules' (empty HQs established only to provide extra supply), but to my mind, I see no problem in taking supplies from where-ever you can get them. I don't use empty HQs, but if one normal HQ has more supply than it needs, or an emergency occurs with another HQ, I see no problem in stealing supplies. Patton and Guderian would have done that and surely any High Command would order an HQ to release unneeded supplies to another HQ, under greater threat.

Not sure if mid-game save affects AI games, but Alt-R command saves a status report into your WIR folder (looks like GE050743.txt - e.g. German side with turn date 5/7/43). You can check, or print this report, to see any changes after a save (it will over-write if you do it twice in the same turn, so save under a different name before you use the command again). The report gives a huge amount of information on the status of your units, equipment and pool lists, very useful during the game to see how you forces are faring.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
RE: Help for a novice player. - 9/29/2009 9:24:18 AM   
igres

Thank you very much, I will start a solo game soon, and I will try to discover if saving the game multiple times in a turn creates a malfunction in the program.

Igres

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 6
RE: Help for a novice player. - 9/29/2009 11:10:49 AM   
Rasputitsa

Look at previous Forum posts (page 2) Lame Question, where I have placed attachments of documentation which may help and Map Editing, which shows how Western Front looks after a graphics update.

Have you got WIRhac, which can be used to adjust game events such as Partisans, West/Med Front collapse and Strategic Bombing. Very useful for 'what-if' scenarios

(in reply to igres)
Post #: 7
RE: Help for a novice player. - 9/30/2009 9:43:56 AM   
igres

I took a look at Lame Question post, thank you.  However, I like the WIR original graphics, so I won't change anything. 
     On the other hand, in my previous games I have only reached year 1942, so before making adjustments to the game, I will wait until I end one game.
     Thank you,Rasputitsa.
                                            Igres

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Help for a novice player. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI