War in the East Q&A

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

jaw

War in the East Q&A

Post by jaw »

Hi everyone, my name is Jim Wirth and I do research and data base development on WitE. I've been following the various threads on this forum over the past few weeks and thought it would be helpful to concentrate questions about the game in one place. Too often useful game information is buried among the banter back and forth about game design theory or interpretations of World War II military history. Along the way even a bit of misinformation gets inadvertently dissiminated. This thread will be devoted exclusively to answering questions about WitE as it actually exists. I will leave to other threads the discussion of the various "what ifs" and "don't you wishes". For example, "why is there no free production?" is not the kind of question to ask here; "Is the Elephant tank destroyer produced in the game?" is a valid question for this thread. If this thread turns out to be successful in generating questions and answers which increase one's understanding of the game, we may incorporate the best questions and answers into a FAQ for inclusion in the game itself.

To get the ball rolling I'll answer the question I posed above: "Is the Elephant tank destroyer produced in the game?"

Answer: No, all the Elephants that were ever produced (all 90 of them) come as reinforcements in two tank destroyer battalions in 1943. Reinforcements, whether they be individual battalions or entire divisions, are "freebies" that are not built by the production system. However with respect to historical production units like AFVs, they are deducted from what can be produced in the production system. Since the 90 reinforcement Elephants account of all the Elephants ever produced you cannot build any more in the production system.

I hope this thread will be enlightening to everyone and look forward to conversing with you. Thank you.
Stryder

RE: War in the East Q&A

Post by Stryder »

Sounds like an excellent idea.

My 1st question: are certain cities..for example; Stalingrad, Leningrad, Moscow, Berlin, Budapest, Sevastopol more difficult to capture? just curious if lengthy and bloody sieges will play out in the game...
Muzrub

Post by Muzrub »

Apart from the big campaign on offer- are there any other smaller scenarios?

And would the smaller scenarios be based on time periods- ie '43 to '45 (Kursk to Berlin)
Or taking command of Army Groups:North-Centre-South independently at a divisional level or Korps level from '41 to '45, or as above?

Cheers

P.s I hope this question isn't to: "I will leave to other threads the discussion of the various "what ifs" and "don't you wishes""- for its not intended that way.

Muzrub

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil
Wild

Post by Wild »

Hi all, really looking forward to this game. Is the He-177 produced in WitE and if so are it's serious engine problems simulated in some fashion.
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

I believe that brings up the question - "Is reliability" taken into account? This addresses the issue of some equipment and vehicles being less likely to work, either right of the box (like the Panther D or HE177) or become increasingly unreliable over time or too far away from maintenance resources.

Just some thoughts.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
Shupov

Post by Shupov »

ORIGINAL: jfarber

My 1st question: are certain cities..for example; Stalingrad, Leningrad, Moscow, Berlin, Budapest, Sevastopol more difficult to capture? just curious if lengthy and bloody sieges will play out in the game...

Not to mention Odessa, which held out until 14 October. It took the Romanians 73 days of seige and 93,000 casualties to capture the city.
STALINADE

The real RED soda!
jaw

Post by jaw »

There are two kinds of defenses in WitE, natural and man-made. Natural defenses are the terrain types themselves. They range from clear terrain (no benefit) to heavy urban terrain (maximum benefit). Berlin, Leningrad and Moscow all contain a heavy urban hex. In addition to the natural defensive value of the terrain in the hex, all hexes have a fortification value (Fort Level) that ranges from Fort Level 0 (no benefit) to Fort Level 5 (maximum benefit). While most hexes have an initial Fort Level of 0 or 1 at best, some have a higher initial level indicating the presence of existing fortifications. Sevastopol, for example, has an initial Fort Level of 4. Combat units can increase the Fort Level of a hex by occupying the hex for successive turns. Each turn the hex is occupied there is a chance the Fort Level will increase; this chance is less the higher the current Fort Level is.

In addition to terrain and fortification you can increase the chance of holding a hex by insuring that the headquarters of the unit(s) defending the hex contains support units (independent battalions & regiments (Soviets) of artillery, armor, engineers, etc.) and is commanded by a good leader. You can also increase the defense strength of the unit(s) defending the hex by attaching support units directly to combat units. Finally you can back up your unit(s) defending the hex by having combat units in reserve status close to the hex to provide additional support. Combat units in reserve will add to the defense of the hex but do not physically move into the hex.

In summary, if you're defending in good defensive terrain, well fortified and backed with ample support, reserves and good leadership, the chance of successfully holding the hex is very good.
jaw

Post by jaw »

Apart from the big campaign on offer- are there any other smaller scenarios?

Currently the only small scenario is Operation Typhoon (the Battle of Moscow) but I suspect more small scenarios will be added after the campaign scenarios are finished.
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: paullus99

I believe that brings up the question - "Is reliability" taken into account? This addresses the issue of some equipment and vehicles being less likely to work, either right of the box (like the Panther D or HE177) or become increasingly unreliable over time or too far away from maintenance resources.

Just some thoughts.

Aircraft do not have individual reliability ratings however every time an aircraft flies there is a chance it will become damaged; this is in addition to aircraft damaged by combat. If you're not careful it is possible to literally fly your air force into the ground through overuse. To guard against this problem you can set a percentage of readiness below which an air group will not fly. The default setting is 50%.

All AFVs have a reliability rating which ranges from 5 (really good) to 45 (really bad). An example of a 5 would be an armored car and a 45 is your Panther D. These reliability ratings are checked when AFVs are moved and AFVs failing the reliability check become damaged. All damaged units (not just AFVs) have a chance of repairing which is effected by their supply status and a percentage of damaged units that are not repaired will be returned to the replacement pool. It is therefore possible if you're advancing at the limit of your supply lines to wear a division down from movement alone without consideration of combat losses.
Shupov

Post by Shupov »

Are the reliability ratings affected by weather, e.g. sub-zero winter temperatures?
STALINADE

The real RED soda!
Lascar

Post by Lascar »

Hi Jim, thanks for making yourself available to answer questions.

So here is my question: Is free initial setup of units allowed or are they locked down to actual historical start locations?

Thanks
thackaray

Post by thackaray »

Most of my questions will be around the subject of managing replacements to units, so that units aren't driven into the earth and I can have plenty of reserves when new units are created, so it doesn't impact the normal replacement levels to existing units in the line.

1) When a unit is in refit where does the refit take place?  In a HQ or can it be done whilst in the line? If a unit is being refitted in a HQ does it contribute to defence of other units assigned to that HQ ?

2) Does unit type affect which units gets priority when both are being refitted at the same time? e.g. SS Panzers over standard infantry units.

3) What is the basic makeup of a divisional unit? - squads, recon, afvs, artillery.  Is a basic divisional unit just squads, but you have to assign additional units to give it the afv, recon and artillery parts ?

jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: Shupov

Are the reliability ratings affected by weather, e.g. sub-zero winter temperatures?

No, the severe winter modifiers are intended to model these effects and they apply to all types of units not just AFVs.
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: Lascar

So here is my question: Is free initial setup of units allowed or are they locked down to actual historical start locations?

Thanks

The historical scenarios do not allow free setup however the plans are to include an editor with the game which would allow players to modify existing scenarios to test alternative setups.
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: thackaray

1) When a unit is in refit where does the refit take place?  In a HQ or can it be done whilst in the line? If a unit is being refitted in a HQ does it contribute to defence of other units assigned to that HQ ?

2) Does unit type affect which units gets priority when both are being refitted at the same time? e.g. SS Panzers over standard infantry units.

3) What is the basic makeup of a divisional unit? - squads, recon, afvs, artillery.  Is a basic divisional unit just squads, but you have to assign additional units to give it the afv, recon and artillery parts ?

1) Refit is a type of status a unit can be in, not a place. Units in refit status have a much greater chance of getting replacements. The actual amount of replacements a unit receives is modified by its distance to the nearest railhead. A unit gets maximum replacements if its actually sitting on a rail line.

2) Currently elite units like SS do not refit faster than other units however you do not have to be in refit status to get replacements. Refit status only increases the unit's priority for replacements and the rate at which it receives them.

3) Every unit in the game has a TOE (there are hundreds of them) to which the unit will try to conform to. The TOE includes all the combat elements that make up that unit. For example, an infantry division would have rifle squads, combat engineers, mortars, infantry guns, anti-tank guns, artillery, crew served machine guns, infantry anti-tank teams, plus support squads representing the command and administrative personnel.
Shupov

Post by Shupov »

I asked this question under another topic but it hasn't been answered yet.  Is the Gustav railroad gun included in WitE? The great Gustav 800 mm (31.5 inch) gun had a range of 23-29 miles depending on shell type. It was used effectively in the siege of Sevastopol, even though only 48 seven-ton shells were fired. If it is in WitE does it have a two-hex range?
STALINADE

The real RED soda!
Montbrun

Post by Montbrun »

ORIGINAL: jaw

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Just some thoughts.

Aircraft do not have individual reliability ratings however every time an aircraft flies there is a chance it will become damaged; this is in addition to aircraft damaged by combat. If you're not careful it is possible to literally fly your air force into the ground through overuse. To guard against this problem you can set a percentage of readiness below which an air group will not fly. The default setting is 50%.

All AFVs have a reliability rating which ranges from 5 (really good) to 45 (really bad). An example of a 5 would be an armored car and a 45 is your Panther D. These reliability ratings are checked when AFVs are moved and AFVs failing the reliability check become damaged. All damaged units (not just AFVs) have a chance of repairing which is effected by their supply status and a percentage of damaged units that are not repaired will be returned to the replacement pool. It is therefore possible if you're advancing at the limit of your supply lines to wear a division down from movement alone without consideration of combat losses.

Is the German superior recovery and repair system taken into account? Also, how about the use of captured equipment?
WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: Shupov

I asked this question under another topic but it hasn't been answered yet.  Is the Gustav railroad gun included in WitE? The great Gustav 800 mm (31.5 inch) gun had a range of 23-29 miles depending on shell type. It was used effectively in the siege of Sevastopol, even though only 48 seven-ton shells were fired. If it is in WitE does it have a two-hex range?

I answered the other thread but I'm glad you repeated your question here since I'd like to concentrate such questions in one place to simplify things for other readers.

No, the Gustav is not in the game because its performance characteristics are outside the design parameters of the game. While it indeed fired a massive shell to great range, its rate of fire was measured in hours per round versus rounds per minute of most weapons in WitE. Low rate of fire combined with other operational restrictions would have rendered the gun virtually useless at this scale.
jaw

Post by jaw »

ORIGINAL: Brad Hunter

Is the German superior recovery and repair system taken into account? Also, how about the use of captured equipment?

In an indirect way yes because support helps with the repair of damaged equipment and German units generally have more support than their Soviet counterparts.

AFVs and various guns (mostly anti-tank guns and artillery) can be captured but AFVs usually don't last very long due to very high breakdown rates.
Shupov

Post by Shupov »

Does the Axis AI start a week later against the Soviet Southern Army Group as was historically the case?

These prompt responses are great!
STALINADE

The real RED soda!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”