Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DD Porter and Flak problem ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> DD Porter and Flak problem ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DD Porter and Flak problem ? - 6/11/2002 4:46:37 AM   
Denniss

If compare a unit with 3x US DD Porter (6x 5/38 MK-12 Gun (no DP ???) 12x 40mm and 8x 20mm)with a unit with 3x DD Gridley (4x5/38 DP 2x40mm 6x20mm) I get a Flak of 170 with the Porters and 137 with Gridleys .
Should be about twice the Gridleys or more - has it something to do with the 5/38 GUN instead of DP ?

Tested with Pacwar 3.0 in additional Scenario "Jap win a Midway" and Marianas
Comparing single Porter and Fletcher gives 65 and 94 - should be slightly higher as Fletcher has 5x5/38 DP+ 10x40mm+8x20mm)
Post #: 1
- 6/11/2002 5:02:29 AM   
Jeremy Pritchard

Actually, the USS Porter Class Destroyers were built right after the Fletcher class, and these had 4 turrets of 2 5/38, however, these were not DP weapons. It was deemed too expensive to upgrade these weapons to DP status, and they remained SP (for the most part) until the end of the war.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 2
- 6/11/2002 5:08:13 AM   
Denniss

OK - thanks for the info .
But - wait !
Where have two of the 5/38 Guns gone ? > In Pacwar3 a Porter DD has only 6x5/38 ?!?

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 3
- 6/11/2002 5:10:54 AM   
Jeremy Pritchard

In 1943 the Porter class removed one of the turrets and replaced it with 40mm Guns. I changed all Allied and Japanese destroyer armament to represent their later war status (usually lose one gun/turret and gain more light AA).

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 4
- 6/11/2002 5:21:14 AM   
Howling H R Bryars

All quite true, except I think you mean the Porters were built right [I]before[/I] the Fletchers. And BTW, thanks for correcting the problem inherited from earlier versions where a single Porter class DD was nearly as good as an AA cruiser!

HRB3

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 5
- 6/11/2002 5:24:16 AM   
Denniss

OK but now another question :
When I change Wildcat production to Corsairs I jump from around 28 Wildcats to around 80 Corsairs ?!?

What happened to Wildcat production cost ?
I see the same high production cost with hurricanes and other planes build by the Brits or Aussies

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 6
- 6/11/2002 5:25:06 AM   
Jeremy Pritchard

I actually meant FARRAGUT class, not Fletcher. Oops! :)

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 7
- 6/11/2002 5:27:10 AM   
Jeremy Pritchard

I changed aircraft cost to match historic production. There was no way in getting the thousands of Corsairs without tweaking their cost. Also, the game always gave the British WAY too many aircraft, and now with increased costs the number of aircraft produced reflects the true lack of attention in the theatre by the British High Command.

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 8
- 6/11/2002 7:19:26 AM   
Nomad

I guess jeremy!! Hurricanes cost 10!! they do come slow, and of course 18 for each spitfire VC will be extremely slow. However, one side effect of everything is that you can use F4Fs for British, Dut, Aus, and NZ fighter groups.( that is it is possible )

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 9
- 6/11/2002 7:21:04 AM   
Jeremy Pritchard

Yeah, but the F4F if inferior to the Hurricane and Spitfire...

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 10
- 6/11/2002 7:55:42 AM   
Nomad

the F4F is not that much inferior to the Hurricane and in the first few months of the game you have a lot of F4Fs and not many Hurricanes( they are expensive ). the F4F is superior to Buffalos, Bleinheim IFs, Wirraways, and Mohawks. Until you can get your production ramped up on the Hurricanes, the F4F is much better than sticking with the origional A/C.

And actually Jeremy, my point was that you could outfit those allies air groups with F4Fs. You can not give them P40s or P39s.

And Jeremy, please understand, this certainly not critisism in any way. I think you guys have improved this game a hugh amount. I really do appreciate your work. You have taken an excellent simulation and made it into a really great simulation. now, if i could only fully understand UV!!!

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 11
- 6/12/2002 12:20:39 AM   
Denniss

Just another thing :
I can't change production to Wellington or Beaufighter .
For Beaufighter only automatic Upgrade from Beaufort and Blenheim possible .
On a testgame I'm playing my Wellington factory stays at 1 for half a year now .

Is it possible to lock the Brit and Aussie factories to Brit and Aussie planes only ?

Another thing :
Setting my Dauntless factory to Vengeance next turn it's again Dauntless but the factory been originally set to build Vengeance stays on producing them .

P40 : Original game had 3 as range on on 2.3 it has 4 and now it's 2 .
The Range 3 from original game was the most balanced selection .

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 12
- 6/13/2002 11:01:15 AM   
Dean Robb

Remember that you can change most of these values (range, factory production, cost, etc) using Rich Dionne's marvelous pacedit proggie - included in the download. You DO need a copy of M$ Excel, though, to do it.

For example, my research indicated a goodly number of LB-30s (Brit B-24s) in the Pacific at war's outbreak - many lent to the US 19th BG for it's use. So I edited one of the VMFN squadrons (PW doesn't have much call for night fighters) to a B-24 squadron, based it at Cairns and upped the output of the factory (to reflect the nearly 20k Libs built).

BTW: You did make sure you're set to Human Factory Control?

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 13
- 6/14/2002 3:38:00 PM   
Mika Väliviita

You can also use my editor to change almost anything, available from:
[URL]http://www.helsinki.fi/~valiviit/gedit.html[/URL]

Mika

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Pacific War: The Matrix Edition >> DD Porter and Flak problem ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI