Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Airfield & Port Damage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Airfield & Port Damage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 1:45:35 AM   
StoneAge

Is there a way of not repairing the damage to airfields and ports. I want to try and save the supply points that are used for the repairs.

A commander at some point would stop wasting his supply repairing an airfield that he knows will never have airplanes flying from it again.

If there is no way to do this can we please have one.
Post #: 1
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 2:06:44 AM   
n01487477

Repairs to damaged airfields and ports do not use supplies iirc ... only when expanding much to my consternation 

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to StoneAge)
Post #: 2
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 2:19:49 AM   
StoneAge

I may be wrong but reading this rule makes me think they do and I once read that attaking a base airfield would strip them of supply and make it easier to invade later.

"Each turn, engineers at a base automatically attempt to repair any damage existing to their bases, repairing runways first, airfield service damage second and ports last."

"The remaining engineers at a base that have not conducted repairs will, if the base has been given the appropriate order, attempt to increase the size of the airfield and port and increase the amount of fortifications protecting the base."

"One supply point is consumed every twelve hours for each engineering squad (or equivalent) that is involved in construction operations."

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 3
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 2:22:54 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: StoneAge

I may be wrong but reading this rule makes me think they do and I once read that attaking a base airfield would strip them of supply and make it easier to invade later.

quote:

"One supply point is consumed every twelve hours for each engineering squad (or equivalent) that is involved in construction operations."

Construction ... not repairs iirc ... attacking will sometimes hit supply dumps destroying supplies, you can see it in the combat.txt report when this occurs

--Damian--

(in reply to StoneAge)
Post #: 4
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 2:24:47 AM   
n01487477

Furthermore. you don't need any units at a base to repair airfield or port damage, it happens naturally

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 5
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 10:08:22 AM   
TheTomDude

Uhm you sure?? I always thought repairing damaged airfields and ports need supplies. So if there are no ships or aircraft then Air attacks are useless? At least with the few and light - medium bombers the japs have. Because the only thing they hit is the runway...sometimes. On ground attack some 40 Sallys hit maybe 10 soldiers which is not even 1 squad. So what else can you do? Port and Airfield.
I'm attacking Singapore by air now for 5 months (!) because the AI had 70000 men and 100'000 supplies at the beginning of the siege and now you tell me repairing does not cost any supplies ?!?
O M G ........
Please can someone else verify if this is correct or not.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 6
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 10:15:06 AM   
n01487477

Here ...

Attachment (1)

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to TheTomDude)
Post #: 7
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 3:54:55 PM   
PaxMondo

Smells like a bug ...  have you reported?

Pax

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 8
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 3:56:40 PM   
n01487477

This is not a bug, already talked to Joe about it ... 

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 9
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 4:29:11 PM   
TheTomDude

Well now we know that you don't need supplies or units to have airfields or ports repaired slowly over time, as has been shown by n01487477.
BUT what if you do have engineers at the base. Don't they speed up repairs like they should and therefore use supplies? Dev-team?

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 10
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 8/19/2009 6:00:56 PM   
BigJ62

1. If you have any friendly unit at base then you get a bonus eng value of 5 to total eng value regardless of opMode.
2. Repairs are free but you must have engs in cbt mode, however you do get the +5 bonus in spite of opMode so repairs might occur(just real slow) depending on base size.
3. Construction is not free and eng must be in cbt mode.

The no units at base and repairs are still occurring is a bug and will be fixed in Patch 1.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to TheTomDude)
Post #: 11
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 6/22/2013 3:46:16 AM   
DHRedge

I read in a few places that to 'weaken an encircled enemy' attacking ports or airfield would deplete supply.

I understand you are saying that is not true, however why was that a discussed strategy for so long?

When someone posts about attacking Saigon they would say bomb them so they have to 'pay supply' to repair, has that been wrong in all those posts that posted that as an assumption?

If repair cost no supply, then attacking 'ground units' would be the best choice to get them to use up supplies by having to help reconstitute dispersed units, correct?

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 12
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 6/22/2013 4:30:17 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: DHRedge

I read in a few places that to 'weaken an encircled enemy' attacking ports or airfield would deplete supply.

I understand you are saying that is not true
, however why was that a discussed strategy for so long?

When someone posts about attacking Saigon they would say bomb them so they have to 'pay supply' to repair, has that been wrong in all those posts that posted that as an assumption?

If repair cost no supply, then attacking 'ground units' would be the best choice to get them to use up supplies by having to help reconstitute dispersed units, correct?

Nobody's saying that because it is absolutely true. At bases only, supplies may be destroyed by air attack (unlike against units or stacks in non-base territory) or by surface fleet bombardment. When you see "airfield supply hits" or "port supply hits" you will see your supplies deteriorate substantially, sometimes alarmingly. In many cases you can ameliorate this in advance by dumping enormous amounts of supply at bases that you expect to be besieged.

The thing that cheeses me off is that by bombing airfields and ports, you force the engineers present to repair that damage (at no cost in supplies) when they should be fortifying the base (at some cost in supplies). You cannot order otherwise even though you have no use for the port or airfield yourself, and expect the enemy to capture the base after you spent so much time repairing it for them.

I would just love it if there were a button you could push stopping all repairs at the base no matter what. The button, once pushed would read "resume repairs" if you decided to push it again.

I am not qualified in game development and have been told it simply is not possible.

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 6/22/2013 4:36:37 AM >

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 13
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 6/22/2013 5:56:13 AM   
DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
At bases only, supplies may be destroyed by air attack (unlike against units or stacks in non-base territory) or by surface fleet bombardment. When you see "airfield supply hits" or "port supply hits" you will see your supplies deteriorate substantially, sometimes alarmingly. In many cases you can ameliorate this in advance by dumping enormous amounts of supply at bases that you expect to be besieged.

So it is true that bombing the airfields do lower supply,
however it is not true that is caused by 'repairing the bases' but instead by the loss during the attacks.

That could have been an assumption error, the reason for supply loss.

Does bombing port or airfield hit more supplies then 'ground attack' method?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 14
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 6/22/2013 6:03:44 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
At bases only, supplies may be destroyed by air attack (unlike against units or stacks in non-base territory) or by surface fleet bombardment. When you see "airfield supply hits" or "port supply hits" you will see your supplies deteriorate substantially, sometimes alarmingly. In many cases you can ameliorate this in advance by dumping enormous amounts of supply at bases that you expect to be besieged.

So it is true that bombing the airfields do lower supply,
however it is not true that is caused by 'repairing the bases' but instead by the loss during the attacks.

That could have been an assumption error, the reason for supply loss.

Does bombing port or airfield hit more supplies then 'ground attack' method?

Bombing the AF MAY lower supply. Usually does, but may not depending on lots of factors.

Repairs to AF, ports, forts do not cost supply. Moving between levels in construction does, at increasing, non-linear rates.

To answer your question from above, when someone says they "bombed Saigon", and it will cost supply to repair, they're talking about bombing industry: HI, LI, oil, refineries, yards, engines, aircraft, armament, vehicles, manpower. Repairing damage to them does cost supply. 1000 per point repaired and 10,000 in the hex to begin at all.

The Moose

(in reply to DHRedge)
Post #: 15
RE: Airfield & Port Damage - 6/22/2013 6:25:42 AM   
DHRedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

To answer your question from above, when someone says they "bombed Saigon", and it will cost supply to repair, they're talking about bombing industry: HI, LI, oil, refineries, yards, engines, aircraft, armament, vehicles, manpower. Repairing damage to them does cost supply. 1000 per point repaired and 10,000 in the hex to begin at all.

That makes sense, thanks

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Airfield & Port Damage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI