I think one of the reasons why we newbies feel overwhelmed, which leads to become intimidated by the scope, is that we feel the need to perform too many things, too rapidly.
We feel that we MUST do everything everwhere on December 8th, that we must change commands everywhere, oversee everything, micro-manage each and every thing now: launch offensives in China, moving troops in CBI, launch submarines, etc.
Also, because we know in hindsight that the Japs are coming, the temptation to rapatriate every and all transports to secure ports is very tempting. However, the sheer number of commands we must issue because of that leads to being overwhelmed, while in fact we do have time before us for planning.
In hindsight, however, there are things I can certainly pass over:
- China CAN wait, no need to rush the Japanese lines on December 8th.
- Likewise in Burma and India. The only land movements I usually do in CBI is to prepare a defense in depth type of line in Malaya at Kuala Lumpur, stretching the Japanese supply line from Kota Bahru, and concentrate my troops protecting the north of the Peninsula there with some reinforcements from Singapore (plus sacking Percival and replace him by a more... fighting commander). Reinforcements for India and Burma will come in due time (from Aden and Capetown).
- Launch the subs from Manila, of course. And sometimes, move down my troops from Aparri to prepare a defense north of Manila.
- Prepare Midway as a main submarine base for those sent around the Japanese islands.
- Rapatriate all available transports to their mutual home bases for logistical purposes: Aden/Abadan, Darwin/Melbourne/Sydney, Batavia/Soerabaja, etc. BUT, and this is a big but, I keep the supplies and resources coming in and out, especially in the DEI. In my mind, Dutch transports would continue to feed Dutch interests and industries until the Japs start arriving, so no need to immediately Sir Robin them to Darwin on December 8th. Losing these transports is breaking eggshells; not losing them is an added bonus.
- On the WC, the only thing I do is send convoys to supply up Dutch Harbor, Anchorage, and Juneau, like the US Chief of Staff would order after Pearl Harbor.
< Message edited by Drakken -- 8/5/2009 6:04:12 PM >