Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any chance of bringing AI controlled zones back?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any chance of bringing AI controlled zones back? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any chance of bringing AI controlled zones back? - 8/2/2009 11:37:32 AM   
briny_norman

What the title says...
I'm not that fond of fighting the land war in Asia and it takes up quite a bit of my limited time with AE.
Even a mediocre AI management of that part of the map would be wonderful to have. Then I could just interrupt at will when something was going too horribly wrong.

So is there any chance such a feature will make it back to AE at some point?

< Message edited by briny_norman -- 8/2/2009 2:50:14 PM >

regards,

Briny
Post #: 1
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 12:50:32 PM   
Andy Mac

Sorry no it would mean re wrting the AI again

(in reply to briny_norman)
Post #: 2
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 1:44:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

Briny,

Keep in mind that you don't really have to do much in China if you don't want to. One thing we're looking into for the future is a possible "dormant China" variant of the GC for those who don't want to deal with it at all.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 3
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 1:52:36 PM   
moonraker

Like it or not though, China is the whole reason for the war in the first place. Most certainly it led the US to eventually enter on the side of the Allies after Pearl Harbor. As has been said elsewhere WiTP AE would be lacking something without China.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 2:00:53 PM   
steveh11Matrix

I understand why it was done, and I can't say I disagree - but trying to run the whole map in AE is one heck of a shock for the first time, even for someone who's played WitP. I can only sympathise with those running into it for the first time. It can't be a good way to induce new players into the game.

Some more partial map scenarios might mitigate this. (I'd be interested in a scenario centred on the DEI for example.) That's about the best way I can think of, given the loss of the AI control zones that seems to be permanent.

Steve.

"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 2:12:32 PM   
briny_norman

I like the idea of a 'dormant China' scenario.
It's not perfect (nothing is...), but it would do the job.

Regarding "not doing much in China":
Perhaps an experienced AE tester/player or one of the developers (I'm sure you haven't got anything better to do, anyway...) could write a rudimentary tutorial on how to set up your forces in China at the start of the scenario, and at key points during the war, to ensure some kind of longlasting 'dormant' situation at that front...?

regards,

Briny

(in reply to steveh11Matrix)
Post #: 6
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 2:14:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman
Regarding "not doing much in China":
Perhaps an experienced AE tester/player or one of the developers (I'm sure you haven't got anything better to do, anyway...) could write a rudimentary tutorial on how to set up your forces in China at the start of the scenario, and at key points during the war, to ensure some kind of longlasting 'dormant' situation at that front...?

Good suggestion, I'll ask if someone can do this.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 7
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 2:15:58 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

I understand why it was done, and I can't say I disagree - but trying to run the whole map in AE is one heck of a shock for the first time, even for someone who's played WitP. I can only sympathise with those running into it for the first time. It can't be a good way to induce new players into the game.

...which is why it was STRONGLY suggested ...and at one point was going to be required ...to have played WitP FIRST.

quote:

Some more partial map scenarios might mitigate this. (I'd be interested in a scenario centred on the DEI for example.) That's about the best way I can think of, given the loss of the AI control zones that seems to be permanent.

Steve.

Agreed. But the level of historical accuracy required for AE limited the number of small map scenarios that could be put together and tested in a timely manner.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

Post #: 8
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 2:36:17 PM   
USS Henrico

The very first thing I did after running the first turn as the Allies was to start hunting for the usual WitP command to turn China over to AI control, so I suppose that shows how I feel about the issue. I do see how it would probably mess up the AE AI if random sectors of the map were split between human/computer.

The main reason for the war was the Japanese presence in China. However, AI control in WitP didn't ignore China, it just abstracted it, similar to most Allied production. Actually, I'd rather plan US naval construction for 1941-46 than shuffle a million Chinese around.

But I'm happy to hear a dormant China is being considered.

Post #: 9
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 3:03:05 PM   
Brady

China, is realy not all that daunting, it may look big a scary but even China after a while can start to look rather small.

These are my present posations in my Ai test game, I am Allies, Early January 42, this is more or less a stable front, I will not have to do much of anyhting in China from this point on for a good long while if I dont want to.

Hear I have shortened the front, if its Japanese and was Chinese on this map its because I gave it up to the Ai, in preserving my forces intact, I have made the line I want to keep much more of a viable one.

With out getting into to much detail, I moved some forces up to key Citys so I could keep them and moved others back to key cittys so I could keep them, I dont want to give to much away, but I think from the shots you can see if you compare it to how it looks when you start the game what was done.

Suply in China Is tight, once you get whear you want to go, build the forts up to a 3 and then rest all of your foces whearever you can, when on rest they use less suply, ofensive moves if undertaken nead be short ones, as the Allies you dont have the suply for a protracted battle.

If you can Buy forces to move into Burma, get tehm someplace they can rest and refit, they will fill out nicely.

Always prep your forces for the target location you want, this is true for Defending and Atacking.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depends on our point of view

(in reply to USS Henrico)
Post #: 10
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 3:57:16 PM   
Brady

Details, as I run the next turn:

Given up, cant keep it:

Worth fighting for:

These guys, if you buy them out for use in Burma, they did actuly fight their, will flesh out very well and be one of the most formadable forces the Alies have early on, just add suply suport and some time:

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depends on our point of view

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 11
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 4:10:01 PM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker

Like it or not though, China is the whole reason for the war in the first place. Most certainly it led the US to eventually enter on the side of the Allies after Pearl Harbor. As has been said elsewhere WiTP AE would be lacking something without China.

If the US was concerned about China I think they might have done something about it before Pearl. The US only entered the war because of Pearl not because they were overly concerned with China. Fortunately for Europe the Japs decided to attack first and the Germans invaded Russia, both events ulitimately resulted in the defeat of all the Axis power. Britian and its then Allies could not have done so the best would have been a stalemate, the worsed is a nightmare.

(in reply to moonraker)
Post #: 12
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 4:54:03 PM   
moonraker

I beg to disagree. The US was well on the road to war with Japan before Pearl Harbor. If you look at the political position prior to December 7th 1941. Negotiations were kept going in Washington until November 30th for the lifting of the raw materials and oil embargo imposed after Japan occupied Indo China earlier in the year if I remember rightly. The final round of these were done so with scant sincerity by either side because both knew war was coming.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 13
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/2/2009 6:06:28 PM   
briny_norman

Thanks for the tips, Brady!
Much appreciated!

regards,

Briny

(in reply to moonraker)
Post #: 14
RE: Any chance of bringing AI controled zones back? - 8/24/2009 12:20:15 AM   
donkuchi

Thanks for the tips in China Brady. I always turned China, USSR, and sometimes SE Asia (after the first 6 months and I've held as much as I could) over to the AI, because I much prefer the Naval War. That is my reason for buying WITP and AE in the first place. It would be nice to be able to turn it over, but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any chance of bringing AI controlled zones back? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI