WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (read the first post!)

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Woos

WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please (read the first post!)

Post by Woos »

READ THIS POST FIRST!
Some important things :
  • WitpAE Patch 2 introduced some new features in WitpAE which lead to array index errors in WitpStaff. A 'hotfix' is available from http://85.214.61.75/witp/witpStaff0.8.zip. The files within the zip file go into the tools/witpStaff directory (i.e. overwrite witpDecoder2.jar and insert the other ones).
    This is actually an intermediate version, so the event window might show strange things. As most releases with a new version number it changes the database schema. This time it might actually try to fix your old database, but no tests have been done whether that works. Better delete and create a new one.
  • A library in the 1083/1084 patch (the latter also known as Patch 1) used by WitpStaff needs a library update from Microsoft installed (see at Microsoft or post 84). As different people need different versions of it, seemingly automatically installing it with the patch didn't work out. For the technical minded: Details on what this is all about can be found in the comments on Microsoft's Visual C++ blog
  • The V0.7b of WitpStaff (With the 1083/1084 patch) changes WitpStaff's database format. You have to delete old WitpStaff's databases (easiest by deleting the generated subdirectory) before starting it.
  • WitpAE's save file format changed. WitpStaff from 1083/1084 can only read WitpAE save files from 1083/1084.
    WitpStaff from 1080 can only read save files from 1080 and 1079. See post 91 for a workaround.
  • How to peek into the database (but don't get your hopes high, nothing in there you can't see in the game directly). And Reg and Morphin created a way to use Openoffice to access WitpStaff'S database.
  • If you take the planning map and scale it down, you can replace WitpStaff's auto-generated map files and get a much nicer looking Map Overview tab. See post 12 for that. (Please note that I would assume that you are not allowed to distribute the scaled down map.)
Known problems:
  • WitpStaff will not work with most (all?) of the small scenarios.
  • There is a problem in Vista where the path to 'java' is unknown. Easiest solution: Click on the witpdecoder2.jar file in WitpStaff's directory.
  • If you get a 'witploadAE.exe failed' error, you most probably specified a wrong scenario number.

Solved in the 1083 patch (plus several new features):
  • Ranges shown in the Aircraft window are way off.
  • All (?) radars shown in the ship classes view are marked as air-search radar, even surface search ones.
  • Sometimes destroyed LCUs are shown in the inconsistency window as having no leader or no HQ which is actually to be expected.
  • Sometimes savegame load doesn't work giving a failure messages saying "no parent LCUsMarchOnlyToExistingBases". This is caused by an oddity in the save game files. Possible but not really satisfying workaround in post 47 and a better one in post 66.
How to make a bug report:
  • WitpStaff generates a logfile which might contain additional info. Especially it often lists the LCU/ship/Airgroup/... which caused the problem. Please look at it. It is called *cough* witpDecoder.log (seemingly a point missed when renaming things).
  • If the error message you got is of the kind "Couldn't write things to the DB due to java.sql.SQLException: Check constraint Violation:XXXXXXXXX:YYYYYY the data you tried to read into WitpStaff violated one of the 'common sense' constraint I put into WitpStaff (comes for free when you use a database). The XXXXXXX describes the constraint, the YYYYYYYY the type of object violating it.
    • The logfile might contain the name of the unit. So have a look there.
    • If a name is given, have a look at that unit in game and check whether that unit violates the constraint.
    • If yes, try to fix it in game, save the turn and try to load it again into WitpStaff.
    • If it loads you found the error and can produce a quite good bug report in the forum.
  • For analysing a non-identified bug I need from you (only sent this when asked to, I don't want to get swamped in save files):
    • All the .csv files from the database directory you created in WitpStaff.
    • The save game producing the error. If you suspect it might be an error due to some previous database content, I also need the save from the turn before.
    • The side you are playing.
    • If it is PBEM, I need your password.
Now if you have any question about WitpStaff, suggestions, improvements, hate mail (no wait that not), ... post them below. I (or whoever feels competent) will answer someday. Just be aware that there is no guarantee at all that things will get implemented.
erstad

RE: WitpStaff questions and suggestions here please

Post by erstad »

I did see your response in the other thread and recognize this is a "someday, maybe" thing, but just to consolidate into this thread:

Add headers to the availLCUs CSV data dump
davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

This may be a stupid question- for which I apologise, but having got Witp Staff up and running, and just about to commence a 001 campaign in AE, I normally run 2 day turns ( to give the AI a bit more of a chance). Does this make any difference to Witpstaff, and the data that it shows- and ditto with missing out turns?
Woos

Post by Woos »

All the history information will be a bit more rough as they only have a data point every other day. Also from looking at the code it seems the "5 day average" in the storage tab might not work. It searches for data points exactly 5 days before but won't find them with 2 day turns (only 4 and 6 if I didn't misjudge).

Except that, everything should work. WitpStaff evaluates the date in the save file so you can't confuse it with forgetting to load a turn (which is exactly how two day turns will occur to WitpStaff, you forget to load every other turn into the database).
davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

Ok thanks- been doing some experimenting tonight round this.
erstad

Post by erstad »

EDIT: OK, Dumb user error. But I'll leave it here and post the reason for anyone else

1) I have downloaded and installed the new .dll
2) I am clicking on the witpdecoder2.jar file
3) It appears to start normally
4) When I try to "Initialize Database" it comes back with a "for unknown reasons <path>/witploadAE.exe failed. " dialog. When I click OK, it then tells me that id can't read files necessary for DB initializtion, which I assume is a side effect of the first problem.

Problem: I forgot to change the scenario number from the default value of "0"

sval062

Post by sval062 »

It's a mistake, sorry [;)]
pad152

Post by pad152 »

Installed gotfix
ReInitialize Database

I get the following errors on loading save game file.

"LCU 5013 (GUAM USN) is assigned to a non-existant HQ 0"
"LCU 6332 (1st Middlesex) is assigned to a non-existant HQ 0"
"LCU 6333 (Rifles of Canada) is assigned to a non-existant HQ 0"
"LCU 6334 (Winnipeg Grenadiers) is assigned to a non-existant HQ 0"
"LCU 6335 (102nd RN) is assigned to a non-existant HQ 0"
"LCU 6336 (Hong Kong) is assigned to a non-existant HQ 0"
"LCU 6337 (KOWLOON) is assigned to a non-existant HQ 0"
"Airgroup 1 (No.100 Sqn RAF Det/1 is a fragment pointing to a parent not included In WitpDecoders database"

Couldn't write things to the DB due to java.sql.SQLException: Check constraint Violation: AGMustBeSomeWhere table: AirGroups

Playing allies, Guam sorry to say has been take over by the Japanese!

Win XP 32 bit Service Pack 3

Settings
- Folder Allies026
- Scenario 026

Custom scenario 26 - copy of Campaign 2 with the following changes;
- changed mines production to 60 per month for each mine
- fix errors to Japanese carrier airgroups
- fix database errors to land units
- added figther group of 12 Fulmars to CVL Hermes

USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Pad, I would recommend starting up a basic Scenario 2 game, save it, and see if WitPStaff can load that.&nbsp; If so, then double check all the db changes you made.&nbsp; [:)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Woos

Post by Woos »

As America said. Is this the first save-file you tried to load?
If yes, please start a new game with your scenario, save it (without turn execution) and try to load it. If it doesn't load it is a problem in your modification.
If the above does not hold, please send me the *.csv files (not all the other files, that will just overflow my inbox) out of the database directory you created with WitpStaff and the savegame that doesn't load.
Cmdrcain

Post by Cmdrcain »

Originally I was getting the Java error even through installed the hot fix in the correct Dir.

I was thinking and I Ran it tonite, I started it all over, re-initalizing a Database but not in the DB folder but a new Db2 folder

Second i think I may not originally have put in a scenario number either leaving it at 0 or if I put in i used 001
this time I used 1 for scenario number 1 when initialized&nbsp; new DB

And it works now.

So either: setting up first time using the DB folder for the DB&nbsp; messed up it

or possiable putting 001 didn't work proper.. it may have looked for 0 discarding the other 2 numbers?&nbsp; 001 becoming scenario 0
but theres NO Scenario0 in the&nbsp; scenario Dir&nbsp; so the java errors not finding the files?

All i know is using 1 instead of 001 (or&nbsp; I may not first time have put in a scenario number) and&nbsp; initilizing a Database NOT in the default db folder but in a new one (db2)&nbsp; worked.

No java error..

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Battlestar Pegasus
Woos

Post by Woos »

Some instructions on how to use the planning map to improve WitpStaff's Map overview.
  • Get the jpg image from the link above.
  • Load it into your favourite image manipulation program (warning, it is big).
  • Scale it to width of 3234 and height of 2582 (i.e. down to 33% of original size)
  • Add 2 pixel rows of black at the top and 4 pixel rows at the bottom.
  • Darken the colors considerably (otherwise you will not see WitpStaff's markings). E.g. by creating a black layer over the picture and give it 60% opaqueness.
  • Overwrite the BigMainMap.jpg file in your WitpStaff database directories with it. Note that copying it into WitpStaff's directory will not help (although there is a BigMainMap.jpg file there also).
  • To be able to copy it also in the future you might want to save it also somewhere else.

Result:
Note that one can finally read at least the bigger names and see the roads.

You can also resize it to other sizes but then you will have to tune the final size on your own. Use the PositionTest mode of the MapOverview Tab for that. All the red dots should be more or less in the middle of their hexes.
Attachments
mapoverview.jpg
mapoverview.jpg (235.44 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
scott64

Post by scott64 »

Help [:(]

Attachments
witp.jpg
witp.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

As mentioned before, witpstaff only works well for the GC ... small scenario's seem to cause this error.

scott64

Post by scott64 »

I am playing Scenario 2

n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Sorry mate,
Woo's will have to come along and help you with this one ...

And just so ppl can see a diagram of setup (which was in another thread) - hope you don;t mind me putting it here Marcus(Woo's)

--Damian--

Attachments
witpstaff.jpg
witpstaff.jpg (215.13 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
scott64

Post by scott64 »

I will try and delete the db folder, see it that works

scott64

Post by scott64 »

Thanks, that worked, but I get some errors on unit without HQ not being there, or a no leader assigned to a TF. One message suggested of a leader bug. [X(]

The following leaders lead more than one (currently available) unit:

The following units have either no leader or a foreign one:
No.700 Sqn FAA S-1 POW was sunk on turn one
TF7014

The following LCUs are assigned to a (not yet) existing HQ:
5013 (Guam USN) recently captured
6333 (Rifles of Canada)
6334 (Winnipeg Grenadiers)
6335 (102nd RN) recently captured
6336 (Hong Kong) recently captured
6337 (Kowloon) recently captured

Woos

Post by Woos »

Scott,
do those errors go away after one turn (see the Readme in the WitpStaff directory)?
If not, please send me all the .csv files in the database directory WitpStaff created as well as the save file in question. Maybe the last two save files if available and not only the last one.

Damian,
I have never mind if others re-explain things for me. Although I thought I wrote this really nice and long manual for WitpStaff which explains everything. Ah, well, I guess the 'long' part is the problem.
scott64

Post by scott64 »

An observation, the date field under the intelligence button shows 11 not 12 as the month, example 11/14 should be 12/14.

Return to “Tech Support”