Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Detail Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Detail Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Detail Question - 7/23/2009 1:59:39 AM   
scout1

Grew up playing SPI's War in the East, War in Europe, etc ......... How will this new release compare in detail to these classics .... ?
Post #: 1
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 4:57:29 PM   
PyleDriver

Compared to this game, they didn't have detail at all. I loved those games but this blows them out of the water in every aspect...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha Tester

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 5:37:27 PM   
Joel Billings

War in the East was IIRC, about 20 miles per hex. Our game is 10 miles per hex. Same basic Division scale, although we have some brigades and Germans can split divisions into 3 regiments. The level of detail in the units is much greater (individual squads and vehicles as opposed to one combat factor). A full air game instead of just air points. It is turn based, but you can attack and continue moving instead of having distinct movement and combat phases. The original War in the East is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd like to think that this game is almost as easy to play as War in the East, but bigger and with more details that you can spend your time on if you want to (or ignore if you want to).

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 3
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 5:41:26 PM   
Terminus

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 6:02:24 PM   
itsjustme

Joel-

Could you comment on the decision to leave the ability to change production out of the game?

Thanks much.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 6:33:20 PM   
PyleDriver

Boy, talk about beating a dead horse...This decison was made like 8 months ago. Other posts here have said "why"...I personly like it as it takes a gamey aspect that WIR had out of game play...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha Tester

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 6
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 7:47:06 PM   
Endsieg

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Boy, talk about beating a dead horse...This decison was made like 8 months ago. Other posts here have said "why"...I personly like it as it takes a gamey aspect that WIR had out of game play...

This is going to be an awesome game, all of us WIR nuts feel it in our water and we hope y'all hurry up with the testing and release

Still, some of us are just a little glum that on June 22,41, among the zillions of other things we will need to do, we wont be able as supreme commander to order factory X to stop producing the crappy PzII and switch to PzIII and factory Y in Prague to stop producing the Cz38t(e) and switch to PzIII and factory Z in Vienna to switch from Me109 to Fw190.

Now if the testers tell us "dont worry, on Jun 22,41 no factories will be producing PzII or Cz38t(e) and you'll be producing abt forty 190s a week anyway", the glumness fades into insignificance

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 7
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 10:45:52 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: itsjustme

Joel-

Could you comment on the decision to leave the ability to change production out of the game?

Thanks much.

Gary wanted to put the player more in the role of OKH dealing with just the Eastern Front, instead of the entire war. If/when we get to War in Europe, you'll probably have the control you're looking for.

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 8
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 10:51:18 PM   
itsjustme

Thanks Joel.   I appreciate the response.

Pyle- 

I am sorry if you consider asking a question to the guys building the game beating a dead horse.   I don't think I've been disrespectful or impolite in any of my posts.  I certainly haven't called any of your answers evasive or incomplete.   As previously stated, I consider this ommission a flaw, but not a fatal one.   I've enjoyed WIR since the day it was released and am sure I will enjoy WitE.  

At the risk of straying from my politeness, I would suggest a bit thicker skin.   As interest in this title grows the discussion/suggestion/complaints will multiply significantly and a "trust us" response, will garner significant heat.  Most of us are believers in trust but verify.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 9
RE: Detail Question - 7/23/2009 11:05:11 PM   
PyleDriver

Really I pressed your point for 5 months (thus the dead horse), the powers to be said no...If things go right there may be a War in Europe...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha Tester

(in reply to itsjustme)
Post #: 10
RE: Detail Question - 7/24/2009 12:31:20 AM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Really I pressed your point for 5 months (thus the dead horse), the powers to be said no...If things go right there may be a War in Europe...

Hopefully before I croak

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 11
RE: Detail Question - 7/27/2009 9:32:54 PM   
Romdanzer

You really take the words out of my mouth!!!

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Detail Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI