Supply Missions with Transport Planes

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

ny59giants

Supply Missions with Transport Planes

Post by ny59giants »

I have a PBEM game going on in which I have multiple chutai of Tabby and Topsy at a base in which there is no Allied fighters in the area. They refuse to fly the short distance to troops laying siege to an enemy base to resupply them. The fighters (Oscar) and LB (Sally/Lily) do fly bombing missions to the same base.

What can I do to get them to fly??
[center]Image[/center]
rtrapasso

RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I have a PBEM game going on in which I have multiple chutai of Tabby and Topsy at a base in which there is no Allied fighters in the area. They refuse to fly the short distance to troops laying siege to an enemy base to resupply them. The fighters (Oscar) and LB (Sally/Lily) do fly bombing missions to the same base.

What can I do to get them to fly??

Don't bother... even if they fly, they will NOT carry supplies if there is enemy in the same hex (unless you own a base in the hex).

A very aggravating "feature"...[:@]
cverbrug

Post by cverbrug »

A related question, if you own a normal HEX (without a base), could you get them to fly?

And what about point hexes (hexes where there could be built a base but where there isnt one yet?
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: cverbrug

A related question, if you own a normal HEX (without a base), could you get them to fly?

And what about point hexes (hexes where there could be built a base but where there isnt one yet?
As above: they may fly (occasionally) but they will not carry supplies if there is an enemy unit present.

You MIGHT get supplies into your "point hexes" since technically you have a base there (of size zero).
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

As a further clarification: if you completely own a hex (that is, no enemy units present), you can fly supplies into it with transports (or even bombers) even if there is no base at all... the supplies are considered to be parachuted in.
viberpol

Post by viberpol »

I have the same problem.
I think the transports fly, because there is more fatigue each turn, but they do not deliver any supplies to the units if there is enemy in the same hex.
Very frustrating...
Also - the amount they paradrop is meagre... I don't know how to calculate that, but about 80 Tabbies can transport this way about 100 supplies (or so) each turn. Can anybody tell how to calculate the exact number?
Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: viberpol

I have the same problem.
I think the transports fly, because there is more fatigue each turn, but they do not deliver any supplies to the units if there is enemy in the same hex.
Very frustrating...
Also - the amount they paradrop is meagre... I don't know how to calculate that, but about 80 Tabbies can transport this way about 100 supplies (or so) each turn. Can anybody tell how to calculate the exact number?
If enemy in the hex, exact number is ZERO.

If you have no enemy in the hex, take load capacity of the plane in pounds, divide by 2000, multiply by number of sorties/planes that fly (which is generally unknown, but could be up to the entire number of planes in the unit.) This gives you the number of supply delivered.

So, if you have some bombers with capacity of 2000 pounds, and there are 16 planes in the unit, you could deliver up to 16 supply per turn... of course, if only 1 or 2 planes of the unit fly, you would get only 1 or 2 supply/turn moved.

i don't recall what the load capacity of a Tabby is off hand (and i would guess it depended on the mod, etc.)
engineer

Post by engineer »

I've been using C-47s and even B-25's and Liberators to fly supplies to troops in Burma so they don't arrive in the Irrawaddy Valley completed bereft of supplies after marching down from Kohima.  rtpasso is right about the relatively small quantities of supplies moved.  However, the supplies can replace the supplies being burned off in movement so they arrive in front of the objectives in better shape that they otherwise would. 

Return to “The War Room”