Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply Missions with Transport Planes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Supply Missions with Transport Planes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 1:05:32 AM   
ny59giants

I have a PBEM game going on in which I have multiple chutai of Tabby and Topsy at a base in which there is no Allied fighters in the area. They refuse to fly the short distance to troops laying siege to an enemy base to resupply them. The fighters (Oscar) and LB (Sally/Lily) do fly bombing missions to the same base.

What can I do to get them to fly??
Post #: 1
RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 1:28:04 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I have a PBEM game going on in which I have multiple chutai of Tabby and Topsy at a base in which there is no Allied fighters in the area. They refuse to fly the short distance to troops laying siege to an enemy base to resupply them. The fighters (Oscar) and LB (Sally/Lily) do fly bombing missions to the same base.

What can I do to get them to fly??

Don't bother... even if they fly, they will NOT carry supplies if there is enemy in the same hex (unless you own a base in the hex).

A very aggravating "feature"...

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 10:41:26 AM   
cverbrug

A related question, if you own a normal HEX (without a base), could you get them to fly?

And what about point hexes (hexes where there could be built a base but where there isnt one yet?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 10:45:35 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: cverbrug

A related question, if you own a normal HEX (without a base), could you get them to fly?

And what about point hexes (hexes where there could be built a base but where there isnt one yet?

As above: they may fly (occasionally) but they will not carry supplies if there is an enemy unit present.

You MIGHT get supplies into your "point hexes" since technically you have a base there (of size zero).

(in reply to cverbrug)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 11:48:55 AM   
rtrapasso

As a further clarification: if you completely own a hex (that is, no enemy units present), you can fly supplies into it with transports (or even bombers) even if there is no base at all... the supplies are considered to be parachuted in.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 12:05:20 PM   
viberpol

I have the same problem.
I think the transports fly, because there is more fatigue each turn, but they do not deliver any supplies to the units if there is enemy in the same hex.
Very frustrating...
Also - the amount they paradrop is meagre... I don't know how to calculate that, but about 80 Tabbies can transport this way about 100 supplies (or so) each turn. Can anybody tell how to calculate the exact number?

Przy lackim orle, przy koniu Kiejstuta Archanioł Rusi na proporcach błysł

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 12:20:46 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: viberpol

I have the same problem.
I think the transports fly, because there is more fatigue each turn, but they do not deliver any supplies to the units if there is enemy in the same hex.
Very frustrating...
Also - the amount they paradrop is meagre... I don't know how to calculate that, but about 80 Tabbies can transport this way about 100 supplies (or so) each turn. Can anybody tell how to calculate the exact number?

If enemy in the hex, exact number is ZERO.

If you have no enemy in the hex, take load capacity of the plane in pounds, divide by 2000, multiply by number of sorties/planes that fly (which is generally unknown, but could be up to the entire number of planes in the unit.) This gives you the number of supply delivered.

So, if you have some bombers with capacity of 2000 pounds, and there are 16 planes in the unit, you could deliver up to 16 supply per turn... of course, if only 1 or 2 planes of the unit fly, you would get only 1 or 2 supply/turn moved.

i don't recall what the load capacity of a Tabby is off hand (and i would guess it depended on the mod, etc.)

(in reply to viberpol)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply Missions with Transport Planes - 7/23/2009 9:04:59 PM   
engineer

I've been using C-47s and even B-25's and Liberators to fly supplies to troops in Burma so they don't arrive in the Irrawaddy Valley completed bereft of supplies after marching down from Kohima.  rtpasso is right about the relatively small quantities of supplies moved.  However, the supplies can replace the supplies being burned off in movement so they arrive in front of the objectives in better shape that they otherwise would. 

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Supply Missions with Transport Planes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI