Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT: Chicago area WitP players?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT: Chicago area WitP players? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/14/2009 1:06:06 PM   
Mistmatz

I'll spend a two weeks vacation in Chicago this September. Is there anything you'd recommend me to visit? Museums, ships, sites, anything. WW2 is not my only interest, but I thing wargamers think a bit the same way, so things you like are maybe something for me as well.

Oh, not to forget... preferably with day care for the wife.

PS: Eventually we could also gather somewhere and have a beer or two and discuss the flaws and oversights of AE.

PPS: I'm also looking for accomodation, so any hints in this regard are appreciated. Feel free to answer in this thread or send me a PM.
Post #: 1
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/14/2009 1:54:02 PM   
msieving1

The museums are always worth a visit.  There's the Museum of Science and Industry, with the U-505 exhibit.  Closer to downtown there's the complex including the Field Museum of Natural History, Adler Planetarium, and the aquarium, all within walking distance of each other.

Less well known is Cantigny Gardens in Wheaton, in the western suburbs.  Besides the gardens themselves, which are pretty nice, there's the 1st Division Museum, honoring the 1st Infantry Division of the US Army.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 2
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/14/2009 5:26:53 PM   
cyberwop36

USS Silversides is up at Great Lakes in Waukegan. She use to be at Navy Pier.

http://glnmmorg000.web151.discountasp.net/apps/dnn/mydnn/

The Museum of Science and Industry is a must. Don't miss the big CV models down stairs. They use to have a big US Navy exhibit.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 3
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/14/2009 6:31:25 PM   
Q-Ball

MUST: Science and Industry Museum U-505 exhibit. It's just been re-done, and where else can you tour a Type-IX Nazi U-Boat? BOOK AHEAD for tickets to the U-505 though

Field Museum has a current special exhibit on PIRATES. Not too bad, sorta kid oriented but I liked it

SEARS TOWER has a new observation platform called THE LEDGE; it's a glass box suspended over the street you can walk into and look straight down. Apparently it's WILD, I haven't seen it, but I plan to. Check out the photos online.

SHEDD AQUARIUM is very cool if you don't have a slick local aquarium. It's first-class! Check Bears schedule though, don't plan on going during a Bears game (same for the Field Museum, they are right next door to Soldiers Field)

LINCOLN PARK ZOO is free, and a good way to kill a couple hours downtown if you have some time. You can just hit whatever animal highlight you prefer.

Strolling around MILLENIUM PARK is cool; the fountain, the gardens, the bean sculpture, and the other stuff, check out on the web

ART INSTITUTE: We have one of the world's top 10 art museums. May or may not be for you, but if you like Art, must see. New addition JUST opened.

BASEBALL: Cubs and Sox if you like Baseball, not sure where you are from. I am a Cubs Season Ticket Holder, I think my September games are spoken for, but maybe someone will bail and I can get you a pair.

HOTELS: This depends entirely on your budget, and how important location or updated rooms are to you. If you don't have a car (and you shouldn't bother), there are a ton of good alternatives downtown. Parking is very expensive, unless you are driving to get here do not bother renting a car.

PM me for more, including eats, I currently live in the city of Chicago (near Evanston)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 7/14/2009 6:40:37 PM >

(in reply to cyberwop36)
Post #: 4
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/14/2009 8:06:20 PM   
AirGriff

Lots of hotels around the "Magnificent Mile" area, which is close to tons of stuff. They range in price and quality, but you should find something that suits you. I'll throw in another vote for the Museum of Science and Industry. We just toured the U-505 in the spring. Very nice exhibit. Tuesdays (I think) might be free or heavily discounted.

You gotta have at least one pizza and at least one hot dog when you're in the Windy City. Not sure they'll let you out if you don't (Do NOT ask for ketchup on your hot dog, though. Though I live here I'm not a native, and I made that mistake once...once). You can cab anywhere for about 8 dollars.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 5
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/14/2009 10:19:24 PM   
OSO

I don't know how you feel about baseball, but Wrigley Field is a worthwhile visit on an afternoon.

(in reply to AirGriff)
Post #: 6
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/15/2009 1:53:15 AM   
wdolson

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the Museum of Science and Industry also has the world's only Ju-87R in complete condition.  It was hit by ground fire in North Africa and captured by the British.  The only think hit was the oil tank and the pilot made a regular landing, so the plane was captured in excellent condition, though unflyable.  The British donated it to the EAA at some point and the EAA donated it to the Chicago museum.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to OSO)
Post #: 7
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/16/2009 5:19:08 PM   
cyberwop36

You might want to check out this new all attraction pass they have now.

http://www.smartdestinations.com/chicago-attractions-and-tours/_d_Chi-p1.html?pass=Chi_Prod_Go

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/17/2009 12:07:40 AM   
HMS Resolution

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

One thing nobody has mentioned is that the Museum of Science and Industry also has the world's only Ju-87R in complete condition.  It was hit by ground fire in North Africa and captured by the British.  The only think hit was the oil tank and the pilot made a regular landing, so the plane was captured in excellent condition, though unflyable.  The British donated it to the EAA at some point and the EAA donated it to the Chicago museum.

Bill

They also have a Spitfire IA, which is much prettier.

I work in the loop myself, and September is a great time to visit the city; the weather isn't unbearable (although we're actually having a nice summer right now). I definitely second recommendations of the Art Institute and the Shedd; honestly, the Museum of Science and Industry never struck me as being anywhere near as good.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 9
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/17/2009 3:00:07 AM   
seydlitz

Just north of chicago:

Russell Military Museum

And if you like trains:
Illinois Railway Museum

(in reply to HMS Resolution)
Post #: 10
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/17/2009 3:17:39 AM   
Hornblower

Museum of Science and Industry is a must.  If you plan in hitting more then one i would consider the city pass http://www.citypass.com/city/chicago.html  You'll save big $$$ .. 
Now if you feel compelled for some weird deranged reason, to visit the beer garden that is Wriggly (sorry Q-ball I married a south sider) I would recommend not driving- parking will kill you – take the train and go early and take in the spirit of the game.  That means you will have to drink a lot. And plan on staying late – more drinking at the Cubby Bear across the street.   It is an experience, and rather enjoyable.  The “Cell” is an option if the Cubs aren’t in town, but there is nothing to do around it.  BUT if you do go to the “Cell” you have to hit Phil’s for pizza.  Its @8 blocks away in Bridgeport.  A hole in the wall but in my opinion the best Pizza in this area.. Not as good a NYC (Yes I said it!!! )  and you must have some deep dish Pizza, it’s a requirement.  So plan on putting on @10 pounds while you are here.  You could just park at millennium and walk Michigan Ave and take in the sites..  It is a Very nice Place, and Clean.  Enjoy..   

(in reply to seydlitz)
Post #: 11
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/17/2009 4:09:52 AM   
Q-Ball

Even though I am native Chicago, I never had a taste for deep dish....too greasy, too much. I prefer thin crust actually.

Sox fan wife? I'm not a Sox-hating Cubs fan. I like them better than the F...ing Yankees. But I am a CUBS fan!!!!!!! Only other one on this forum I think is Gem35

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 7/17/2009 4:10:29 AM >

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 12
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/17/2009 8:08:16 PM   
CaptDave

There are also all kinds of architectural tours available. Most are on foot, but there are also some that are by boat on the Chicago River.

Similarly, I think tours are still available of the historic Pullman District on the south side. Obviously, I'm not looking any of this up as I type!

For a wife pleaser, try a lunch cruise on one of the boats from Navy Pier. My former employer used to treat us as our annual summer outing. Haven't been on all of them, but I like the Odyssey better than the others (less obnoxious "entertainment" on board).

For a good laugh (apologies to any Wildcats out there) you could go to a football game at Northwestern -- and since I said that, they'll be good this year (but they were fairly decent last year, so they're done for the next 10).

If you have transportation available, there are countless additional attractions available as day trips -- the Illinois Rail Museum was already mentioned, and Milwaukee is only 90 minutes away. Even without a car, many places are available via a ride on Metra, our commuter rail system. The Naper Settlement, in Naperville, is an example. It's only a few blocks walk from the train station, and in between is one of the best downtowns for shopping I've ever seen (related warning: Chicago has the highest sales tax in the country, thanks most recently to the buffoons who elected the current Cook County board).

I like the idea of getting some of us together, as well. I live about 40 miles west, at the outskirts of the western suburbs, but would do my best to join such a gathering.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 13
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/17/2009 9:58:42 PM   
Hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I like them better than the F...ing Yankees.

now now...

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 14
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/18/2009 4:55:09 AM   
Q-Ball

I would be up for a get-together is anyone is interested. From the posters here, looks like a widely spread bunch around here!

Sorry if you are a Yankees fan Hornblower

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 15
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/18/2009 3:50:39 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

Even though I am native Chicago, I never had a taste for deep dish....too greasy, too much. I prefer thin crust actually.

Sox fan wife? I'm not a Sox-hating Cubs fan. I like them better than the F...ing Yankees. But I am a CUBS fan!!!!!!! Only other one on this forum I think is Gem35

Baseball is just too slow to watch on TV. In the balllpark, in person, it is a totally different experience.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 16
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/18/2009 8:02:08 PM   
Panman

CaptDave, you are literally in my back yard.  Im in Aurora right on the Oswego border.  If there is a get together we can carpool.  

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 17
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/18/2009 10:08:48 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

quote:

Baseball is just too slow to watch on TV. In the balllpark, in person, it is a totally different experience.

I don't disagree, I don't really watch much on TV. Listen on the radio if I'm driving or doing something else, otherwise almost all the baseball I see is at the ballpark. That's why I have tix.

Post #: 18
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/19/2009 6:33:51 AM   
Ron Saueracker

After the Montreal Expos got screwed out of the World Series because of the umpire strike in 92-93 and then got screwed by their owner and were sold to Washington, baseball has nothing left for me. Seeing as American League is not baseball (DHs are for kids), the Toronto Blue Jays are simply not an option.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 19
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/19/2009 1:06:47 PM   
Mark VII

Also mostly a Cubs fan, but I do like the Whitesox since growing up they were in the other league and never played each other during the season. Been to both parks through out the years with Wrigley being the best but Whitesox park alot easier to get into. I did have friends who were hate'rs of one or the other. We grew up in what John Coleman called the super-boonies during his weather forcast, McHenry County. Parents live just outside Woodstock, brother in Crystal Lake and sister in Island Lake.

quote:

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 20
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/19/2009 2:10:09 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

MUST: Science and Industry Museum U-505 exhibit. It's just been re-done, and where else can you tour a Type-IX Nazi U-Boat? BOOK AHEAD for tickets to the U-505 though

Field Museum has a current special exhibit on PIRATES. Not too bad, sorta kid oriented but I liked it

SEARS TOWER has a new observation platform called THE LEDGE; it's a glass box suspended over the street you can walk into and look straight down. Apparently it's WILD, I haven't seen it, but I plan to. Check out the photos online.

SHEDD AQUARIUM is very cool if you don't have a slick local aquarium. It's first-class! Check Bears schedule though, don't plan on going during a Bears game (same for the Field Museum, they are right next door to Soldiers Field)

LINCOLN PARK ZOO is free, and a good way to kill a couple hours downtown if you have some time. You can just hit whatever animal highlight you prefer.

Strolling around MILLENIUM PARK is cool; the fountain, the gardens, the bean sculpture, and the other stuff, check out on the web

ART INSTITUTE: We have one of the world's top 10 art museums. May or may not be for you, but if you like Art, must see. New addition JUST opened.

BASEBALL: Cubs and Sox if you like Baseball, not sure where you are from. I am a Cubs Season Ticket Holder, I think my September games are spoken for, but maybe someone will bail and I can get you a pair.

HOTELS: This depends entirely on your budget, and how important location or updated rooms are to you. If you don't have a car (and you shouldn't bother), there are a ton of good alternatives downtown. Parking is very expensive, unless you are driving to get here do not bother renting a car.

PM me for more, including eats, I currently live in the city of Chicago (near Evanston)

This post gives me contrary feelings about QBall - he has sense enough to be a Cubs fan, but he's gonna walk into that glass box that's 103 stories (1,000 feet) above pavement? No way! Give me good ol' terra firma!

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 21
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/19/2009 2:27:05 PM   
BrucePowers

I am with you sir. No way I am getting in that glass box.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 22
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/19/2009 2:37:09 PM   
OSO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

This post gives me contrary feelings about QBall - he has sense enough to be a Cubs fan, but he's gonna walk into that glass box that's 103 stories (1,000 feet) above pavement? No way! Give me good ol' terra firma!

Actually it makes complete sense. The Cubs are one of the worst franchises in all of professional sports. If common sense prevailed, then they wouldn't have any fans.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 23
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/19/2009 9:11:49 PM   
Hornblower

Yes Yankee Fan, born and breed... No offense taken Q-Ball.  side note i wouldn't go out on that glass box either - thats just flippen crazy..

(in reply to OSO)
Post #: 24
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/19/2009 11:15:55 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

Yes Yankee Fan, born and breed... No offense taken Q-Ball.  side note i wouldn't go out on that glass box either - thats just flippen crazy..

I dont' care what anyone says, that glass box looks cool. Can't wait. My kids want to go, and I haven't been up on top of the Sears Tower in 20 years.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 25
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/20/2009 2:02:57 AM   
cyberwop36

You'll never be up in the Sear tower ever again. It's now the Willis Tower, :[

I keep telling the wife I'll push her out into that glass box. She has a heart attack. I cash in the life insurance and shack up with a couple of Swedish exchange coeds.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 26
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/20/2009 3:00:40 AM   
Mark VII

The next time we are in Chicago will have to do that! Sometime in August or September is the thought (baseball season). We were up the Hancock in the bar a couple of years ago with my brother and sister-in-law. That looks awsome!

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

I dont' care what anyone says, that glass box looks cool. Can't wait. My kids want to go, and I haven't been up on top of the Sears Tower in 20 years.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 27
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/21/2009 4:00:30 AM   
AirGriff

quote:

I route for the Cubs, but I'm a fluke of nature in Chicago. Born and bred in St. Louis, so I also cheer the Cardinals. Best of both worlds, really. The Cards usually have a halfway respectable team to watch and the Cubs are the ultimate underdogs.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 28
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/21/2009 10:59:25 PM   
CaptDave

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I am with you sir. No way I am getting in that glass box.

Same here. I can be high up in a plane or a building, but beyond that I have an excessive fear of heights. I start hyperventilating if I go beyond the third rung of a stepladder!

Post #: 29
RE: OT: Chicago area WitP players? - 7/21/2009 11:00:59 PM   
CaptDave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

After the Montreal Expos got screwed out of the World Series because of the umpire strike in 92-93 and then got screwed by their owner and were sold to Washington, baseball has nothing left for me. Seeing as American League is not baseball (DHs are for kids), the Toronto Blue Jays are simply not an option.

DH -- you mean dessicated hitter? (Not original; stole that from a Tank McNamara strip from about 30 years ago.) Everybody mark this on your calendars: somebody is publicly agreeing with Ron!

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT: Chicago area WitP players? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI