Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AnyOne Playing this?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> World War II: General Commander >> AnyOne Playing this? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AnyOne Playing this? - 7/11/2009 10:03:32 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Title says is all. Thinking about buying but I want too be sure. DL plus hard copy is 50.00 bucks. So is anyone playing? If so what do you think and how does it play?

Ive read the wargamer review but alot of questions were left out.

Note: By the way don't want to DL the demo: to big, might as well dl the game.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 7/11/2009 10:05:12 PM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Post #: 1
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/11/2009 10:59:34 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Well its all water under the bridge. I just spent 60.00 bucks on this thing. Hope its worth it. Downloading now.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 2
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/11/2009 11:35:41 PM   
Crimguy

You're the guinea pig.  Let us know.

I played the demo.  DIdn't put much time into it, but found it interesting.  I was having a lot of trouble controlling my units, but again didn't take much time to figure things out.

Post #: 3
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/11/2009 11:42:18 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Let ya know if no one else does. Price and the unknown scares me on this one. I hope I haven't been stung
quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

You're the guinea pig.  Let us know.

I played the demo.  DIdn't put much time into it, but found it interesting.  I was having a lot of trouble controlling my units, but again didn't take much time to figure things out.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 7/12/2009 3:19:48 AM >

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 4
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/11/2009 11:54:50 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Jump IN!!!! The Waters fine. Downloading still.

Post #: 5
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 12:20:28 AM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks, looking forward to your comments.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 6
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 4:25:45 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Ok,

This is a quick over view with out going over the manual. First game observation.

1. Sound is poor. Not to bad for infantry. Airforce sound - none on my machine. Weather sound effects not bad, but battle sounds need work.

2. Graphics not bad-but can get real mixed up if useing figure icons(when fighting close quarters). Nato symbols easier to keep up with. How ever very little battle sounds-even less with the nato symbols.
3. Unit ID and troops strengths - this is a plus-not bad.
4. RTS on this one was not a click fest!
5. Left click/drag moves map around.
6. click on airfield and air missions pop up-not bad-but when I hit support bombing mission aircraft flew but no effect I could see except for aircraft flying over head-did they bomb? Who knows! No bombing sound or anything being destoryed.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 9:25:00 AM   
redmarkus4

I downloaded the full game last night after reading Jim Cobb's review, because I have always respected him.  I've played all the way from Squad Leader and the AH board games all the way through CM, TOAW and up to Empire Total War, plus everything in between.

Now, this new game has some real promise, as Jim says, but it still needs a lot of work, as many have observed here.  In some ways, particularly the isometric map view, it is more engaging than COTA, but the COTA NATO graphics are far superior to this.  I have a top-end gaming laptop but there seems to be no way to adjust the games screen res, so the whole thing looks fuzzy and really sub-standard; like I loaded up one of my old games from way back when before XP and Vista.  That needs to be fixed asap if you want t sell more of this title.  Right now, the simple map is the only one that looks acceptable - the tactical and realistic maps are just too fuzzy to use effectively.

The way that units follow the roads and the overall feel of the first advance I made, was very immersive and felt convincing - I could see where the devs were going with their attempt to really put the player in a WW2 commander's seat.  But the 3D units should be dropped, IMO, and the 3D Nato icons could be better presented.  (Note: the 3D icons approach would work very well for a real-time Napoleonic wargame.  Have you considered that?)  In the end, I turned off the 3D icons and just played with the 2D map and the kind of hovering Nato unit cards/icons - it then looked a bit more like a military simulation, although unit selection requires you to zoom in quite closely with these settings.

The FX (artillery, etc) are pretty poor IMO and give the impression that the devs couldn't decide whether they were building an operational wargame or an RTS game.  The representation of Air is just horrible - so that bad that I edited the main scenario to remove all the air units rather than have those RTS insects buzzing around in circles over my units!  The sound is poor and I turned it off after a while.  But I'm a 50 year old board game grognard (still playing RGW daily against a human opponent) so I am prejudiced.  Younger players might like these effects.

Finally, I can't yet assess the AI, but as multiplayer is offered only on a real-time basis (there are no turns) then solo play is going to be very important to me and many others, I would guess.  If the AI does have the problems I read about elsewhere in the forum, then those need urgent fixes as well.

Those are my initial views.  I say "buy it" IF you are willing to work with the devs to improve it.  It has a lot of potential but the work is far from done.  Nevertheless, it takes these games in the right direction, I think.

Post #: 8
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 1:30:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
I have a top-end gaming laptop but there seems to be no way to adjust the games screen res, so the whole thing looks fuzzy and really sub-standard

What kind of video card do you have? This should just be a matter of tweaking your driver settings to get it to look crisp.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 9
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 1:51:40 PM   
Titanwarrior89

On my laptop the game wasn't fuzzy but some things were hard too read. But again I am have blind anyway.

Redmarkus4 is right on about the airsupport/air game. Seemed like a flock of swallows. Needs work. Also I noticed that When using the Nato icons that when taking losses a number would float up in red(hard to read the number). This is similiar to HPS's Punic wars. How ever there no graphics of firing during this combat. Would help to get into it. But not a game breaker.

Post #: 10
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 6:07:49 PM   
redmarkus4

I have Nvidia 8800 series, 256mb. laptop plays Call of Duty 5, Total War Empires, etc with excellent quality using highest settings :)

Post #: 11
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 6:14:10 PM   
redmarkus4

I'm just trying the Bastogne scenario as the Axis, by the way, and really enjoying it.  The air is still annoying the hell out of me though.  The basic concept and engine seem very good.  I will be watching for patches and mods.  I hope the community buys into this approach as its quite realistic after you try 3-4 small scenarios and get used to it.  On key is to probe forward/advance to contact with caution - dont go rushing down the road 'blitzkreig' style of it will all be over before you know it.  The FoW is severe...

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 12
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 6:24:00 PM   
redmarkus4

One additional comment.  The way that the road net limits your options, and the focus it forces you to put on considering re-supply routes and flank/rear protection is really good - you do have to think a lot more about this than in many other wargames, I sense.  However, it seems to me that only the major roads are represented on the map and that while the region was restricted in terms of movement, there were more alternative avenues of approach than the game currently provides.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  Obviously, the AI defender benefits from this feature...

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 13
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 6:35:37 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Well I am playing the Bastogne scenario and its all most done-now all of sudden the game is freezeing. Its froze up my computer 3 times and crashed once.

I have a laptop 2.2gig geforce 6800 with 2gig of ram. Also downloaded the direct x 9.c. It was running great now - puff! I was getting into it. Stung again. Either the game or my hardware or both. Why did it run good for slow long now it won't?

NOTE: This is a edit- it seems when I roll the mouse wheel to quick it may cause the problems I am now having. When I zoom back in slowly it runs ok.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 7/12/2009 7:14:12 PM >

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 14
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 7:26:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

However, it seems to me that only the major roads are represented on the map and that while the region was restricted in terms of movement, there were more alternative avenues of approach than the game currently provides.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  Obviously, the AI defender benefits from this feature...

You can still move and attack cross-country (effectively along those minor routes) but it will take longer and you'll be in a less ideal supply state. The roads are definitely of strategic importance though.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 15
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 7:44:50 PM   
V22 Osprey

From what it sounds like WW2:General Commander is a good game, it just needs a revamp like what Crown of Glory:Emperor's Edition did to the original Crown of Glory.

Post #: 16
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 9:41:30 PM   
GIveloper

Yes redmarkus4, you have got it, it is all about "roads and strategic cross roads"... we perhaps reinfoirce it including only the roads that really can carry on with a modern war...
We need to improve a lot this game, but before we need to check if it likes. And collect your opinion regarding the general war model.

Victor.

< Message edited by GIveloper -- 7/12/2009 9:43:25 PM >

WWII: GC Designer

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 17
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/12/2009 10:20:48 PM   
redmarkus4

Hi Victor.  I also read your very good guide about the game and I have a very similar wargaming background to you, so I see all of the things you are achieving or trying to achieve with your design.  I think it's great so far, and I hope you get enough positive feedback from other players to keep you 100% motivated! 

One key thing I believe you have to decide is whether you are trying to address the (mostly) older board gaming market or the (mostly) younger RTS market.  I don't think you can win with both groups.  So far, I see the direction you are taking as a boardgamer's approach, but adding the real time element and the isometric views for realism, while avoiding the RTS click-fest.  Obviously, I like that direction myself, but I wonder where the market will pull you?

An example of how I would like to see the game evolve is in the crucial Air component - how to model the critical effect of air without the RTS-style air attacks currently in the game?  I would suggest that Air should be more abstracted and statistically modelled, with a focus on attrition of all unit strengths, reductions of efficiency and general interdiction of supply, based on who has air superiority, the weather, allocation of mission types, etc.  The players should use sliders or some similar device to define their strategy (% allocated to CAS, Interdiction, Recon, etc.) while air supply values are set by the scenario designer to reflect limited numbers of suitable aircraft.  Units can then be given supply priority by players and have a chance of receiving airdrops each turn if they cannot trace a supply path.  Air drops can also miss and go to nearby enemy units.  Random chance and target detection status (spotted, time since last sighting, etc.) should determine the chance and impact of air strikes.  CAS should have a random chance of hitting adjacent friendly units as well - a common problem.  You might want to consider a separate Air Operations Map, where the players can set their geographic priorities for air operations, so that, for example, they can focus all their assets on the most dangerous enemy movement.  Also, it should be possible to strike bridges and supply dumps to interdict/reduce supply efficiency.

Osprey - I would say that this game is somewhat ahead of where the original Crown of Glory was.  It does need more work, but it's already a fun and educational game if you can look past the flaws, IMO.  CoG never did grab my attention.  maybe I should look at the latest addition again.

Markus

(in reply to GIveloper)
Post #: 18
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 10:28:44 AM   
JudgeDredd

Ok - I'm in. I'll buy tonight in the hope that the devs get the cash to do what they need to. I wasn't disappointed with the end result of World War One when I bought it in it's "pre-release" state...so I'll take a hit for the boys

I really like the look of the 3D map (would LURV Panther to go this way - I think it would "finalise" the brilliance of their engine!) and I like the strategic element of the roads.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 19
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 1:13:53 PM   
redmarkus4

Damn!  Ping of death followed by game freeze in the early stages of the Bastogne scenario.  I note that an anti-adware warning popped up right before the freeze, identifying the WW2 General Commander folder as containing the suspect app...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 20
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 3:18:09 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Ok - I'm in. I'll buy tonight in the hope that the devs get the cash to do what they need to. I wasn't disappointed with the end result of World War One when I bought it in it's "pre-release" state...so I'll take a hit for the boys

I really like the look of the 3D map (would LURV Panther to go this way - I think it would "finalise" the brilliance of their engine!) and I like the strategic element of the roads.

Well, JD let us know what your opinion is of this one! I'm not into a click-fest. Fingers and brain are too old to work together in "Harmony" anymore

Tony

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 6:15:39 PM   
oldspec4

I'd like to get some more input too...I've played around w/ the Demo and I like the concept of the game.

BTW, I was also concerned about the speed of the game. But you can slow the action down to a crawl so IMO the click-fest is not an issue.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 22
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 6:27:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Damn!  Ping of death followed by game freeze in the early stages of the Bastogne scenario.  I note that an anti-adware warning popped up right before the freeze, identifying the WW2 General Commander folder as containing the suspect app...

Sounds like a false alarm by your adware app that destabilized the game. If it was trying to stop part of the game from working that would certainly do it.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 23
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 6:44:04 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

I'd like to get some more input too...I've played around w/ the Demo and I like the concept of the game.

BTW, I was also concerned about the speed of the game. But you can slow the action down to a crawl so IMO the click-fest is not an issue.

Has Matrix posted the Demo on their website yet???

Tony

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 24
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 6:47:23 PM   
oldspec4

Don't think so..I downloaded Demo from the developer's site.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 25
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 8:25:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

Not yet, we're still working on that.

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 26
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/13/2009 10:38:09 PM   
GIveloper

quote:

Hi Victor.  I also read your very good guide about the game and I have a very similar wargaming background to you, so I see all of the things you are achieving or trying to achieve with your design.  I think it's great so far, and I hope you get enough positive feedback from other players to keep you 100% motivated! 

One key thing I believe you have to decide is whether you are trying to address the (mostly) older board gaming market or the (mostly) younger RTS market.  I don't think you can win with both groups.  So far, I see the direction you are taking as a boardgamer's approach, but adding the real time element and the isometric views for realism, while avoiding the RTS click-fest.  Obviously, I like that direction myself, but I wonder where the market will pull you?

An example of how I would like to see the game evolve is in the crucial Air component - how to model the critical effect of air without the RTS-style air attacks currently in the game?  I would suggest that Air should be more abstracted and statistically modelled, with a focus on attrition of all unit strengths, reductions of efficiency and general interdiction of supply, based on who has air superiority, the weather, allocation of mission types, etc.  The players should use sliders or some similar device to define their strategy (% allocated to CAS, Interdiction, Recon, etc.) while air supply values are set by the scenario designer to reflect limited numbers of suitable aircraft.  Units can then be given supply priority by players and have a chance of receiving airdrops each turn if they cannot trace a supply path.  Air drops can also miss and go to nearby enemy units.  Random chance and target detection status (spotted, time since last sighting, etc.) should determine the chance and impact of air strikes.  CAS should have a random chance of hitting adjacent friendly units as well - a common problem.  You might want to consider a separate Air Operations Map, where the players can set their geographic priorities for air operations, so that, for example, they can focus all their assets on the most dangerous enemy movement.  Also, it should be possible to strike bridges and supply dumps to interdict/reduce supply efficiency.

Osprey - I would say that this game is somewhat ahead of where the original Crown of Glory was.  It does need more work, but it's already a fun and educational game if you can look past the flaws, IMO.  CoG never did grab my attention.  maybe I should look at the latest addition again.

Markus

Markus.... well... I need time to read your email. We are really moving to the core of "How to simulate Operation games w/o died traying it"

For me WWII:GC is a pure evolution, I was convinced that introduce the time variable on a Operational game is needed, on turn based I was loosing something, I know RTS = clickfest, but becouse nobody has trying something different, or adding the element for make it easy... example: if you play online but with many Timeout, it is a turn based game!!

But I know the people can not recorgnize our game with anything existing, and that is the problem. Problem for us and the sales ;)... but we did it, knowing the consequences..

Another question:

What element we want to control during the game... in that case Supplies, the Air attack etc... We simplify, Air Attack is a pure support unit to reduce the efficience of attacked units (GC is not a RTS , the battalions are not destroy by an air attack... ). Talking about audience... if we include all, the game is very hardcore, too much. So we decide to simplify, perhaps the best would be to create different game mode, with alternative for gamers that want to control everything and other that just want to play different global strategics... not focusing in every detail.

Another question is. really the Generals had this controls of units.. supply etc during the combats? I do not think that, you say FoW was severe, you have to imagine in those days!! One day I would like to simulate the exactly atmosfere of HQ during the combats... radio message, notes comming from footmen messangers, wrong informations... well a nightmare...

I will back to you regarding supplies, it is quite interesting subject.

Victor.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 27
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/14/2009 12:50:49 AM   
spellir74

Dude I'm impressed with what I'm reading so far (eg not a click fest --but innovative RTS etc; the battalion scale/both operations and combat).

I been searching for something just like this.

I'm doing other stuff right now. But I guess I'm going to have to put that stuff aside and learn this.

(in reply to GIveloper)
Post #: 28
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/14/2009 12:11:29 PM   
JudgeDredd

Ok - I was going to buy it - unfortunately, with buying two Matrix games this month, my mother and sister visiting for a week next week and my Army reunion next month, it looks like funds are too tight to justify another purchase.

In the words of a famous Mayor Terminator - I'll be back!

(in reply to spellir74)
Post #: 29
RE: AnyOne Playing this? - 7/14/2009 1:03:37 PM   
GIveloper

Back to the discussion of future features, or how to improve GC... We need to see the product like a game that try a zoom out management, more to macromanagement than micro.. spell74 said well in another thread we usually play tactical games or high level strategic games, but few non turn based Operational Games.. Those operationals have a BIG issue: the volume of unit to manage (we are talking about WWII..).
So any new feature must be adapted to and easy and automate way to handled it, or player will die trying that.

Independent or hardcore/soft gamer, the most is the time you have to play game.. probably 2 or 4 hours per week (average). A medium scenario should be playable in this time frame or most of you will be insatisfy.. and I do not say 2 or 4 easy play hours, I mean a "brain game" of 2 or 4 hours scenario...

So basically what could be your average expectation:

- No hiding rule pls, clear and intuitive.
- 2/4 hours by game.
- "Brain" pls, not just click-click.
- Historical context and simulation.
- If I could play online with my friends... it will be great.
- Nice presentation.
- A challenge...

What do you think? ..... I am far away?

Victor.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> World War II: General Commander >> AnyOne Playing this? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI