Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible to play strategic only

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory >> Possible to play strategic only Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible to play strategic only - 7/7/2009 8:13:32 PM   
morphin

Hi
Can you play this game on a strategic level (e.g. without flying a plane?). Like BOB from talonsoft? How does the AI compare to the new BOB/BTR when playing strategic?

Thank's

Andy
Post #: 1
RE: Possible to play strategic only - 7/7/2009 9:02:32 PM   
E

You can, but the interface is a bit too clunky for a purely strategic game, for me. Sadly, it's the one area that was not improved at all since version 1. Which is a shame, as it still has great potential and was the reason I bought version 2 after shelving vers 1 so many years ago.  I've never played out a complete scenario due to the interface, so I have no idea how the AI does in the strategic arena.

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 2
RE: Possible to play strategic only - 7/7/2009 9:27:14 PM   
morphin

Thanks E

I played a lot the old BOB and BTR and maybe also buy the new one here on the matrix forum, but i would like to check if this BOB2 WOV would be an alternative.....

Andy

(in reply to E)
Post #: 3
RE: Possible to play strategic only - 9/2/2009 2:25:10 PM   
kaybayray

Morphin,

This is a great game. IMO it leans heavily toward the simm aspects but it is also a great combination of Strat and Simm wrapped together.

The general play for the RAF is from the view point of Fighter Command built around the Plot Map and Reaction Center as was used in the Air Battle. You control all the Fighter Groups and Squadrons and decide on your interception doctrine and execute on incoming raids and sweeps. You can then select particular fighter groups/squadrons/aircraft to jump into for the intercept and fly the mission.

I highly recommend this game. I have not yet run a campaign from the Luftwaffe POV so I cant really speak about that yet. But this is a real Gem IMHO.

Later,
KayBay

It's all Mind Over Matter....
If you dont mind... It dont matter

(in reply to morphin)
Post #: 4
RE: Possible to play strategic only - 9/29/2009 8:29:17 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

You can, but the interface is a bit too clunky for a purely strategic game, for me.

I actually kind of like the interface. It seems tidier than that used in some other games of this type, such as the new Grigsby game.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 5
RE: Possible to play strategic only - 10/14/2009 12:35:24 PM   
dorjun driver

As a newcomer to BoB (within the last week) I found the interface bit clunky.  Also there seemed to be a lot of information missing from the manual as well as some inexplicable behavior by the game engine.  Kind of like WitP/WitP:AE.

I almost gave it up.  But I bit the bullet, checked/queried the forums and kept on plugging away.  It is all starting to make sense!

Though I've only been toying around with the game for a week, I'm now starting to like the campaign aspect.  Give it a shot.

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 6
RE: Possible to play strategic only - 11/30/2009 6:11:18 AM   
E

As an absolute minimum, it needs hotkeys for at least the on-screen switches. It also needs mouse scrollability (I have to zoom in fairly close to sort out the piles of huge icons, then having to use the scrollbars and/or dragging the map just the right amount is a pain for me). I for one would like to see the ability to intercept later made much less confusing. Not to mention more of the toteboards together. I think a lot of the game would be improved if we could see and use the toteboards for many actions.  As it is now, they're buried.

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory >> Possible to play strategic only Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI