Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in the East vs. War in Russia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> War in the East vs. War in Russia Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 7:32:07 PM   
GaryChildress

How similar is the new War in the East to the old War in Russia being offered for free by Matrix. I know there will no doubt be many improvements and changes but I have absolutely no idea what War in the East will be like so I am wondering if I DL War in Russia will that give me some clue as to the style of game play and characteristics of War in the East?

Thanks.

EDIT: The only other game I've played which may be close to WITE was Korsun Pocket which I played only sporadically but other than that I've basically only played WITP, WPO, the CC series, CEAW and CNAW. So I'm pretty new to the genre represented by WITE.

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 6/29/2009 7:42:04 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 7:38:00 PM   
Joel Billings

They are very different games, although you'll see Gary's love for detail in both games. War in Russia is a game where both players plot and then movement/combat is resolved. War in the East is an IGOUGO game where a player gets to move and attack all in one phase, and then the other player gets to move and attack. So the games feel very different. Some of the testers are big WiR players so they could go into more details about the similarities and differences.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 2
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 7:38:33 PM   
Erik Rutins

They are different games by the same developer on the same subject. WIR is not a preview of WITE except in a VERY general sense, especially given that it was originally released more than 15 years ago. It might give you some insight to general design style, but I wouldn't suggest concluding much more than that. WITE is the heir to WIR, but it is not an updated clone of WIR.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 3
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 7:39:36 PM   
Hard Sarge

hehe

well, it is being fought in Russian and maybe later in Germany, it has Russian and Germen troops (and all the Axis Allies) it has alot of the same weapons

and the old WIR is one of the old Classics, but this is going to blow it away

Post #: 4
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 7:46:40 PM   
joey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

hehe

well, it is being fought in Russian and maybe later in Germany, it has Russian and Germen troops (and all the Axis Allies) it has alot of the same weapons

and the old WIR is one of the old Classics, but this is going to blow it away

Hard Sarge, have you came up for air? You need to get off this forum and get back to working on BOB/BTR! The fourth of July is getting ever closer and I want to be plotting bombing raids against somebody. It is much more interesting than the traditional family gathering.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 5
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 7:50:06 PM   
GaryChildress

Thanks for the replies. As I say belatedly in the edit above, the only other game I've played which may be close to WITE was Korsun Pocket which I played only sporadically but other than that I've basically only played WITP, WPO, the CC series, CEAW and CNAW. So I'm pretty new to the sub-genre (perhaps?) of wargames represented by WITE.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 6
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 7:53:20 PM   
Hard Sarge

naw, it is past my bedtime, so I can lurk

(besides I did all my testing work at work last night, laptops are sweet)

can't really post what I am thinking or got planned, but..., unless they got some magic up there sleeve, I would start planning on having a cookout this weekend

(in reply to joey)
Post #: 7
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 8:04:25 PM   
joey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

naw, it is past my bedtime, so I can lurk

(besides I did all my testing work at work last night, laptops are sweet)

can't really post what I am thinking or got planned, but..., unless they got some magic up there sleeve, I would start planning on having a cookout this weekend

Past your bedtime? Start planning a weekend cookout? - well I guess there always is my birthday.........

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 8
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 9:05:52 PM   
Josan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

How similar is the new War in the East to the old War in Russia being offered for free by Matrix. I know there will no doubt be many improvements and changes but I have absolutely no idea what War in the East will be like so I am wondering if I DL War in Russia will that give me some clue as to the style of game play and characteristics of War in the East?

Thanks.

EDIT: The only other game I've played which may be close to WITE was Korsun Pocket which I played only sporadically but other than that I've basically only played WITP, WPO, the CC series, CEAW and CNAW. So I'm pretty new to the genre represented by WITE.

Its another game. But if you played old WiR you will find the same sensations but improved Still some us, testers, we are playing with the same strategy as we did in the WiR.

Post #: 9
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 9:16:52 PM   
GaryChildress

OK. I tried DLing WIR. I unzipped the file and clicked on wir.exe and got the following error message below. Does the Matrix edition not work on XP? Or is there more to the setup than just unzipping the file?

When I checked the PDF rule book it simply says:

quote:

Installing the Game
Follow the instructions on your data card
to install and play the game.

What data card?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Josan)
Post #: 10
RE: War in the East vs. War in Russia - 6/29/2009 9:41:51 PM   
GaryChildress

Woops. Sorry. Never mind. Just went to the WIR forum and DLed DosBox and got the game to run. Looks interesting.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> War in the East vs. War in Russia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI