Bill Trotter's AAR at The Wargamer

The Seven Years’ War was fought across the globe and called by some the first “World War” as virtually every major power participated. In the center of events was Prussia, almost constantly at war and lead by the now legendary Frederick the Great.

Relive the exciting and trying days of Frederick the Great in Horse and Musket: Volume I, the improved and expanded combination of the previous Prussian War Machine and Prussia’s Glory titles. Horse and Musket: Volume I is a reboot of the successful Horse and Musket series, including not only two solid historical titles in one package, but also many new game features, a powerful new editor, and a complete graphics overhaul to an already acclaimed gaming system.

Moderators: Tim Coakley, Sertorius

Erik Rutins

Bill Trotter's AAR at The Wargamer

Post by Erik Rutins »

Just saw it up there, have a look:

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2715/ho ... sket-vol-i

Also, some background on the Seven Years' War here:

http://www.wargamer.com/article/2716/th ... -years-war
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hexagon

RE: Bill Trotter's AAR at The Wargamer

Post by Hexagon »

Hi, i read the 2 AAR and i have some questions.

1-in Wargamer AAR i see that retreat a unit need an about face order... but is this for a unit in line??? well, if the line unit retreat with his back to enemy is a little... [:-], in HPS only if the unit is in column you need set the new face... oooo in the screen i see a order called Fall Back, i understand that this order dont have the orientation problem...

2-Formations, are 2 diferent column formations in the game??? one for movement and other for assaults??? what other formations are???

3-Ammo... units can be low of ammo (or zero ammo) and artillery has a limit of rounds???

4-Can you set the artillery range of fire??? if are a limit of ammo and a limit of fires per turn i want to set close range for artillery.

5-how works the unit movement??? i refer to the formation, regiment/brigade/division/wing.

6-i note that cavalry suffers few casualties and broke asutrian units... routed units has desertors??? they can loss soldiers in the run for our live???.

7-i see the commanders to alone... AI can try to capture then??? if is possible dead/captured leaders can have a substitute???

8-in the tester AAR i see in the right side icons... what they do???

Thanks for your attention [;)]
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

...and half-a-dozen of its units were hauling ass in the general direction of Vienna...

This sounds promising. Do routed units continue to actually rout each turn... in other words do they continue to move away from the enemy? If so, is it possible to rout off of the map?

One thing I hated about Tiller's system was routed units only moved on the initial rout and then sat there, sometimes you could exploit that for ZoC purposes.

Speaking of which are there rules for ZoC? (another thing I didn't care for in Tiller's games)
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

Hegagon,
I have taken a stab at some short answers to your questions below:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Hi, i read the 2 AAR and i have some questions.

1-in Wargamer AAR i see that retreat a unit need an about face order... but is this for a unit in line??? well, if the line unit retreat with his back to enemy is a little... [:-], in HPS only if the unit is in column you need set the new face... oooo in the screen i see a order called Fall Back, i understand that this order dont have the orientation problem...

-----There is a FALLBACK option as well that moved the unit one hex back but retains facing.

2-Formations, are 2 diferent column formations in the game??? one for movement and other for assaults??? what other formations are???

-----Only one column formation (good for moving). The Assualt Column formation is more of a development during the Napoleonic period. It is on my feature list for future development. There is also line, square, skirmish, and defensive formation (for defending rough ground and towns).

3-Ammo... units can be low of ammo (or zero ammo) and artillery has a limit of rounds???

-----No ammo restrictions in the game.

4-Can you set the artillery range of fire??? if are a limit of ammo and a limit of fires per turn i want to set close range for artillery.

-----There is no setting the range for your guns, but you select each time they fire...no auto-fire. No ammo, but guns will usually only shoot once per turn unless getting assualted.

5-how works the unit movement??? i refer to the formation, regiment/brigade/division/wing.

-----You can select multiple units and do a group move. They will stay relative to one another.

6-i note that cavalry suffers few casualties and broke asutrian units... routed units has desertors??? they can loss soldiers in the run for our live???.

-----Routed units lose a % as deserters/stragglers each turn they route. No limit to how far they will route...will go off board if not ralied. Leader placement and activation is key...or you will have a general chasing a routing unit when he should be moving forces to attack!

7-i see the commanders to alone... AI can try to capture then??? if is possible dead/captured leaders can have a substitute???

-----The commanders can be alone, but I stack mine so they can not be auto-eliminated by an enemy unit moving in the hex. When a leader is lost, another is generated with lower skills.

8-in the tester AAR i see in the right side icons... what they do???

-----can you be more specific?

Thanks for your attention [;)]
Horse and Musket2---Matrix Games
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

Iron Warrior,
I coverd the routing units in the post above.

ZOC: a key element of the game is that units are ENGAGED when adjacent to an enemy unit. This prevents blitzkrieg tactics and some of the gamey tactics of surrounding an enemy before they get a chance to react. It is desined to simulate the tactics of the period in which opposing forces did line up to blast away at each other at close range...and movement so close to an enemy was sure to bring disaster.

Tim
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Ok, thanks for the answers.

I refer to the icons you can see in the 2nd screenshoot in the Tester AAR, down in the right you can see 10 icons over the map (out of the down bar).

Ummm no ammo??? well, i think that is a little disapointed for me, i dont like the HPS ammunition system, i prefer ammo per batterie with a hold fire order if you dont have a range selection, some plan to add ammo per batterie and a malus for units low of ammo???

Thanks.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Just update the first post with a link to the Seven Years' War historical background.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Oooo a little question, in the game you can highlight organitation??? and if is possible what level??? regiment, brigade division, wing...

Thanks for all.
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

You can highlight all units under a leader...that is how the chain of command is broken down.

You use the menu button on the bottom right that looks like and arrow...then the top right button to show sub units.

It will give a blue background for all units under the active leader.

Tim
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks Tim, now i understand some screenshoots in the other AAR.

Oooo when in the editor you create an infantry unit you can set weapons??? i refer if you can create an only melee infantry unit, units with rifles other with muskets....

PD: the true "power" of this game is in the mod side, with a good modder comunity... we can see many battles and in different periods
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

Hexagon,
you can make melee only units...there is a check box in the unit editor to allow firing. Primarily this has been used unchecked for saber/lance armed cavalry, but it should work with infantry to represent natives, pitchforks, pikes and such.

I am hopping some modders jump at the game. I have plans to continue the series with the Vol II covering more 7YW battles. After that I want to do things like AWI, 1812, Napoleonics (with game improvements with each new title), but there are always periods and battles that will not be covered by a commercial release.

Tim
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the information Tim, is good know that the engine supports battles from... Roman Empire to... american civil war (or more up or under hehehe), if the game form a good mod comunity (OOB creators, map creators and Artist) we can see Mexican American War, wars of liberation in South America (conquest of the new world???), Carlist Wars... and more like in the old Age Of Rifles.

And now more questions hehehe. You talk about future volumes (the nap volume sounds fine) but i want to know if the new volumes have as you say new improvements in the engine (i think that add ammo limits is a good improvement and a campaing system and a way to play in the same battle more than 2 players.....) these improvements can be added to old volumes??? (well, edit battles is a good option but i am realistic and with the option to add it to scens is enough).

Well, now i am a 75% in the bar of "buy the game, buy the game, BUy THE GAAAAAAMEEEEE" i wait for more information hehehe.

PD: well, i dont buy now at the first shoot because last time that i do it i buy a 30 euros plastic base for my drinks and with digital download i dont have a replacement for it [:D]

EDIT:

Sorry questions [;)]

1-Terrain influence in the combat: is like in HPS titles??? terrain add or rest defender/attacker force??? defend villages or fortifications is easy with small forces??? cavalry has malus attacking units in woods, village....

2-The game has 10 battles, ok, in the captures y see where you can select the battles, when you select the battle then you can select play the full battle, variants or tactical situations??? in the preview i read about 40 scens.

3-Can you isolated enemy units and force then to surrender with out fight or with fight???

4-Exactly what is the turn mecanic???

5-You can give orders to a commander and wait that him dont send soldiers to dead???

6-what is better, vainilla ice cream or chocolate ice cream??? [:D]

Thanks for the attention
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Hi again, i test the demo of dragoon and want know if phases works and the demo and if terrain effect is the same... well i dont know what is the terrain effect... thanks.
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

A snapshot of the Combat Target Modification Table.

Attachments
CombatTar..odifiers.jpg
CombatTar..odifiers.jpg (118.91 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

I see... thanks, but i refer to the terrain factor (village, city, fortification, woods, orchard, marsh...), in the map you cant see the type of terrain where are selected troops, i refer to hex information.

Thanks.
Tim Coakley

Post by Tim Coakley »

I will try to answer these below:

1-Terrain influence in the combat: is like in HPS titles??? terrain add or rest defender/attacker force??? defend villages or fortifications is easy with small forces??? cavalry has malus attacking units in woods, village....
-----Terrain does affect combat with modifiers by formation/terrain type/unit type

2-The game has 10 battles, ok, in the captures y see where you can select the battles, when you select the battle then you can select play the full battle, variants or tactical situations??? in the preview i read about 40 scens.
-----10 battles are included...all have more than one scenario. The scenarios are a mix of the full attle, portions of the battle, and variants.

3-Can you isolated enemy units and force then to surrender with out fight or with fight???
-----A surrounded unit that routes will surrender and be eliminated, but it must be attacked. I have notes about surrenders and over-run rules for the future.

-----Not sure what you mean by this.

5-You can give orders to a commander and wait that him dont send soldiers to dead???
-----not sure about this one.

-----Have a scoop of each!

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Thanks for the information Tim, is good know that the engine supports battles from... Roman Empire to... american civil war (or more up or under hehehe), if the game form a good mod comunity (OOB creators, map creators and Artist) we can see Mexican American War, wars of liberation in South America (conquest of the new world???), Carlist Wars... and more like in the old Age Of Rifles.

And now more questions hehehe. You talk about future volumes (the nap volume sounds fine) but i want to know if the new volumes have as you say new improvements in the engine (i think that add ammo limits is a good improvement and a campaing system and a way to play in the same battle more than 2 players.....) these improvements can be added to old volumes??? (well, edit battles is a good option but i am realistic and with the option to add it to scens is enough).

Well, now i am a 75% in the bar of "buy the game, buy the game, BUy THE GAAAAAAMEEEEE" i wait for more information hehehe.

PD: well, i dont buy now at the first shoot because last time that i do it i buy a 30 euros plastic base for my drinks and with digital download i dont have a replacement for it [:D]

EDIT:

Sorry questions [;)]

Thanks for the attention
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the answers. With turn mecanic i refer if like in Dragoon demo first start arty phase, then activation of one leader, movement of him troops, enemy defensive fire, fire, assault and next leader activation. I prefer do activation of leaders in my own way because i prefer move first main attack units and after move secondary... or not because with a human you can try to do a confuse tactic with main attacks as final movement in the turn.

Well, i am near to 90% in the "buy the game" bar [:D]

TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ORIGINAL: MacDuff

A snapshot of the Combat Target Modification Table.

Hi MacDuff, how did you take the screenprint of the the combat chart? I am also using FRAPS, but I cant seem to get it to do so...Hmmm, I wonder if it is because I am using the trial version?

Cheers.
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

I also had trouble with FRAPS. I ended up doing it the old fashion way by hitting the PRINT SCREEN button and than Control "C" to copy. I than pasted it in the PAINT program and changed it to jpeg.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Thanks!

Return to “Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great”