Tester AAR - Lobositz

The Seven Years’ War was fought across the globe and called by some the first “World War” as virtually every major power participated. In the center of events was Prussia, almost constantly at war and lead by the now legendary Frederick the Great.

Relive the exciting and trying days of Frederick the Great in Horse and Musket: Volume I, the improved and expanded combination of the previous Prussian War Machine and Prussia’s Glory titles. Horse and Musket: Volume I is a reboot of the successful Horse and Musket series, including not only two solid historical titles in one package, but also many new game features, a powerful new editor, and a complete graphics overhaul to an already acclaimed gaming system.

Moderators: Sertorius, Tim Coakley

MacDuff

Tester AAR - Lobositz

Post by MacDuff »

This is overview of the Lobositz Battlefield. For this AAR I have left the Fog of War selection off. This also a test to see if my image loaded.

Attachments
LobositzBattlefield.jpg
LobositzBattlefield.jpg (220.12 KiB) Viewed 827 times
MacDuff

RE: Lobositz

Post by MacDuff »

Aaah! Success! But I find I can only upload one file per message.

Attachments
Page2.jpg
Page2.jpg (269.16 KiB) Viewed 821 times
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

The previous image represents the first turn and is the Prussian's 1st Activation.

After two other commanders failed to activate GLt Gessler (a cav. commander) finally stepped up to the plate. His command was moved to the Prussian right to reinforce the elite cavalry that historically charged the Austrian elite cavalry, which can be seen in the screen shot on the far right). Prior to this first Prussian activation, cannons on both sides caused minor disruption and casualties to a couple of units.

The next image is the second Prussian activation.
Prince Ferdinand is activated and moved to the location indicated. I am setting up for an assualt on the Austrian center. The artillery that fell within the commander's radius was also activated, moved to the crest of the slope and left there to be unlimbered in Turn 2 (yes, it is exposed and could/will suffer damage from artillery fire).

Note: Prior to this activation the Austrian army activated two commands, moved them and then failed a further activation. The activated commands movement was almost negligible due the defensive posture selected by the designer for this scenario. I've found that when I have played this scenario in the past against the AI the outcome is most always historical. However, this defensive posture can be changed in the scenario editor making units and commanders more aggressive. Moreover, when playing Hotseat or PBEM the outcome is always different.

Attachments
Page3.jpg
Page3.jpg (265.27 KiB) Viewed 821 times
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

Third Prussian Activation
GLt Schonaich's cavalry was activated and moved to support the assault.

Attachments
Page4.jpg
Page4.jpg (263.58 KiB) Viewed 821 times
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

Crusty old GLt. Kleist activated and his infantry units moved to the left in preparation for an assault on the Austrian right. Because the closest Austrian command recently failed its activation attempt (this is something you would not see witht he Fog of War selection turned on) I feel confident I can deploy these units in line before they activate (if they succeed) in the second turn. However, I am leaving them exposed to artillery fire in the bombardment phase. Units in march column are subject to higher casualties when fired on by artillery.

Attachments
Page5.jpg
Page5.jpg (277.5 KiB) Viewed 821 times
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

GLt. Bevern activates and his units are moved up Lobositz Hill in preparation for an assault on the Grenzers defending the top.

Attachments
Page6.jpg
Page6.jpg (290.8 KiB) Viewed 821 times
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

End of Turn 1
Situation Report. So far, all casualties are the result of artillery bombardment. Notice the last entry at the bottom of the screen (FM Browne failed activation). That was the last attempt in Turn 1 of the Austrian Commander to activate. In order for units to recover from disruption or rally they must first by with the command range of an activated leader.

Attachments
Page6end..turnone.jpg
Page6end..turnone.jpg (182.83 KiB) Viewed 821 times
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

Turn 2 Bombardment Phase:
The read lines indicate guns firing and units targeted. Most of my heavy artillery is on my left and is being used to for counter-battery. Note the Austrian cav unit at the bottom right of the screen. This unit has been hit twice once in turn 1 and again in turn 2. None of its commanders have been able activate to assist in its disruption/morale recovery. As previously stated, a unit that has sustained morale loss or disruption cannot recover unless is falls within the radius of its activated Leader/commander.

Attachments
Page7.jpg
Page7.jpg (262.18 KiB) Viewed 822 times
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

Last pic for now.
Turn 2 Bombardment Morale hits. Notice again the Austrian cav unit at the bottom right of the screen. Its morale is zero. This unit will rout at then end of the turn.

Attachments
Page8.jpg
Page8.jpg (252.23 KiB) Viewed 823 times
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

Thanks.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

Guys,

This is my first posted AAR ever. Any constructive criticism is welcome. I'm reading Bill Trotter's AAR for more incite.

I will be completing the entire Lobositz scenario I'm playing agains the AI. In the future, I will also be doing an AAR on a PBEM game with another beta tester.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Well, you can write in the images because we dont know the game menu and other things that we can see... you can add some "tutorials" of orders, movement, fire... think that we dont know nothing [8|]
MacDuff

Post by MacDuff »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Well, you can write in the images because we dont know the game menu and other things that we can see... you can add some "tutorials" of orders, movement, fire... think that we dont know nothing [8|]

Good points.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks, if you want an idea see this link

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9788
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Thanks MacDuff... I'm looking forward to more, especially the pbem AAR you mentioned doing. [;)]

So far this looks like it will be my next Matrix purchase.

Return to “Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great”