PBEM 109

Post here to seek opponents for multiplayer match-ups.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

IronWarrior

PBEM 109

Post by IronWarrior »

Here we go... new game with patch 1.0.9

My thoughts are Russian Guard's 1792 mod, Highest Glory, Advanced Economy, Bonaparte level attrition... open for discussion/opinions.

Who's in?

IronWarrior: Spain
Mus: GB
Matto: Austria
Anthropoid: Russia
06 Maestro: Turkey
aprezto: Prussia
AndrewKurtz: Sweden
terje439: France

Reserves:
Kingmaker
lenin
Mus

RE: PBEM 109

Post by Mus »

Im in.

I wouldnt mind trying a continental power this time around, unless we get everyone from the other game and they want to play same teams.

I would take Russia, or if we get everyone from the other game as players and everyone wants same teams would stick with Great Britain.
Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Matto

Post by Matto »

If the Big War (first PBEM game) will be stopped, I will join this one ...
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

I have one major concern over Modding the 1792 scenario; CoG EE is a new game, and as such there are still likely to be issues that may need sorting, now as Gil has suggested elsewhere the 1792 scenario doesn’t have Napoleon in it as there's no guarantee that Napoleon would have become a major figure in European history, so it's realistic to leave him out of that early scenario

As to a certain extent our Multi-player games are 2nd generation Beta testing, i.e. if things are not right we can let the Devs know, by implementing the Mod we lose all chance of ever spotting flaws in the original set-up (Think ‘Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle’).

An example of this may well be if ‘Blockading’ is WaD, there doesn’t seem to be any noticeable difference showing on the ‘Country details’ page (especially for Sweden in the other game), further game play may show this up, or not as the case may be.

So how about this as a way forward, keep ‘Another PBEM’ going with it fully Patched up for T38, scrap the original PBEM game and start again, make that one a scenario that has Napoleon in it for those that need his presence in the game, I’ll drop out to make space for anyone who wants to join in and go on the Reserve list.

Then when ‘Another PBEM’ finishes, those that want to play a game where the little guys can develop could start a new game of the 1792 scenario as WCS designed it and take it from there.

Thoughts?

All the Best
Peter
terje439

Post by terje439 »

I'm always interested in filling my email adress with emails [:D]

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Point of note here: I'm not certain how the engine works, but I just tried something to see if having both the "Stock 1792" scenario and a "All Generals 1792" scenario running would work.

I copied my 1792_S folder and renamed it 1792_All_Generals. Then I replaced the three files from RG's all-generals mod and started up a new game. The 1792_All_Generals scenario that I just created the new folder for does not show up in my list of options for scenarios to start a new game.

Consequently, we seem to have three options:

1) Convert our 1792_S folders to include the 1792_all-gens files, and I'm guessing making any existing 1792_S games (including our Another PBEM match) broken.

2) Have two versions of the folder and switch them back and forth

3) Figure out how the app gets its list of Scenarios and change that so that the folder for the 1792_All_Gens Scenario will actually show up in the list.

Well of course the fourth option would be to not make use of RG's new 1792 all generals stuff at all.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Kingmaker

HiHi

I have one major concern over Modding the 1792 scenario; CoG EE is a new game, and as such there are still likely to be issues that may need sorting, now as Gil has suggested elsewhere the 1792 scenario doesn’t have Napoleon in it as there's no guarantee that Napoleon would have become a major figure in European history, so it's realistic to leave him out of that early scenario

As to a certain extent our Multi-player games are 2nd generation Beta testing, i.e. if things are not right we can let the Devs know, by implementing the Mod we lose all chance of ever spotting flaws in the original set-up (Think ‘Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle’).

An example of this may well be if ‘Blockading’ is WaD, there doesn’t seem to be any noticeable difference showing on the ‘Country details’ page (especially for Sweden in the other game), further game play may show this up, or not as the case may be.

So how about this as a way forward, keep ‘Another PBEM’ going with it fully Patched up for T38, scrap the original PBEM game and start again, make that one a scenario that has Napoleon in it for those that need his presence in the game, I’ll drop out to make space for anyone who wants to join in and go on the Reserve list.

Then when ‘Another PBEM’ finishes, those that want to play a game where the little guys can develop could start a new game of the 1792 scenario as WCS designed it and take it from there.

Thoughts?

All the Best
Peter

I tend to think that we would have more fun PBEMs if we use the All Generals version, and DO have Napoleon show up when he would have. Saying that he would not necesarily have shown up is a red herring IMHO, he's the central frickin' character in this tale! [:D] The whole point of a historic strategy game is that you hold some historic developments as being constant and others as being variable. Presuming that Napoleon showing up is a variable [actually in this case it is NOT a variable, becaus the probability is ZERO! [8D]] in a game based on Napoleon seems like a silly choice of what historic dimensions to allow to vary and what to allow to hold constant.

IMHO, Napoleon, and all the most famous generals, should show up in virtually ALL scenarios; Sure having a scenario like the existing stock 1792 with limited Generals is fine, but there should also be one where most all the Generals are held to be an historic constant, and everything that is under player control are historic variants.

Besides, France is pretty badly beleagured at the beginning of the 1792 scenario, and not having all of her Generals, much less her most famous one is a big disadvantage.

While I can empathize with your concern about modding the 1792 scenario into an All Generals version, I am not in this to test the game for WCS. I'm in it for some fun. If we encounter bugs as a result of using an All Generals 1792 mod then IMHO, C'est la vie.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
lenin

Post by lenin »

I'd be up for this too, but not:

a) At the expense of anyone new who wants to join. And

b) More than happy to take a minor if a) doesn't apply.

I notice Matto has taken both Spain and Turkey in the pbems. Happy to take Turkey if you can't find another player. Matto should be given the freedom to kick our asses and show us how this should be played! Don't want to be too active as my time is limited and it is a push playing 2 pbems at once. "Another pbem" is continuing, so I must stick with it. I'll play this too, if you need me, as you know I won't drop out, but new blood should be welcomed into this if they are up and ready for the fight!

Anyway, if I don't continue, it's been great playing with you guys, and be kind to poor Prussia, who only ever wants peace, in the other game!

Pete.
"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"
Mus

Post by Mus »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I tend to think that we would have more fun PBEMs if we use the All Generals version, and DO have Napoleon show up when he would have. Saying that he would not necesarily have shown up is a red herring IMHO, he's the central frickin' character in this tale!

Agreed about the red herring statement.

And if the game was going to take that view of history (which I disagree with, its basis depends on the belief that emergence as a major historical figure is based only on random chance instead of some chance and awesome ability) then none of the scenarios would have generals emerging at their historical correct time.

It would just have random generals with randomly generated abilities emerging randomly or at times the designer deemed countrys would require fresh leadership.

But they do all pretty much have the historical generals emerging at the proper times along the timeline it was intended to be played. It seems like most of the scenarios are meant to be played only to the next scenario and only 1803 and 1805 are set up as "grand campaigns" covering a long period of time.

The statement about "no guarantees" isnt consistent with the philosophy used in any of the grand campaign scenarios.
Mus

Post by Mus »

Anthropoid, regarding file overwrite issues and the "Another PBEM" game.  It isnt a 1792 game, its a 1796 game.

So we could all overwrite our 1792 stock scenario files and be fine.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah, didn't realize that. However, I do have an SP 1792 scenario running myself. I'd be concerned that overwriting those files must upset that game from continuing . . . although no reason I cannot try and see. Will try and let you know.
Mus

Post by Mus »

Maybe we could ask RG if theres any reason why we couldnt run the scenario out of a different folder?  Copy all the files from the Stock 1792 scenario into one of the 1792 scenarios for minor countries and then overwrite the needed files with the grand campaign mod files?

As long as the "new" major power isnt dictated by files elsewhere (Poland, etc taking the place of Sweden) that might work.

There might also be a way we could have a "1792 Grand Campaign" folder with all the files? Im not sure if there are scenario specific files outside those folders. I will PM Russian Guard and ask him to chime in.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

I tried reloading my game against the AI, 1792_S scenario, with the alternative "All Generals" .txt files in the 1792_S folder and the game would not load.

I'm enjoying this game against the AI, and I've played it up to about 1798 so I'm going to be hesitant to overwrite my 1792 folder, although I guess I could simply keep two folders in there and change the name back and forth each time I play the PBEM vs my ongoing SP game.
Mus

Post by Mus »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I'm enjoying this game against the AI, and I've played it up to about 1798 so I'm going to be hesitant to overwrite my 1792 folder, although I guess I could simply keep two folders in there and change the name back and forth each time I play the PBEM vs my ongoing SP game.

Thats a really simple work around right there.

I dont know what your playstyle is like single player, but I tend to play SP a lot at a time, over a weekend or something.

So you would only have to rename if when you were going to play SP and then rename back to PBEM mode when you were done.
Russian Guard

Post by Russian Guard »

You should copy the entire 1792 folder, rename it 1792_Grand_Campaign_S and then move these new files in there.

Just copy the 1792 folder and paste into the scenarios folder. It will appear as "Copy of 1792", then just rename it as above and then copy the Mod files into it. remember that you need to rename these mod files the same as the ones they replace.

This way you have your original 1792 scenario intact completely.

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: Russian Guard

You should copy the entire 1792 folder, rename it 1792_Grand_Campaign_S and then move these new files in there.

Just copy the 1792 folder and paste into the scenarios folder. It will appear as "Copy of 1792", then just rename it as above and then copy the Mod files into it. remember that you need to rename these mod files the same as the ones they replace.

This way you have your original 1792 scenario intact completely.

AWESOME! THANKS!! [:)]
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Gentlemen

I would like to join in with this new PBM game. This would be my first PBM with this game. I'm far from an expert with CoG EE, but have a good understanding of how it should be played.

Most of my experience has been with Turkey, but have played all countries a good amount except Spain-which I have not played at all. So, I do not really have a major preference, but Turkey or Russia would be the most familiar to me. I'm also quite familiar with the French situation now, but I suppose it would be prudent to have a veteran player in that position.

I have the new patch installed, but not the Generals mod. I am about to begin that little operation after reading the "how to's".

I'll be watching this thread.
Addit: I have never played Great Britain either. Further; the ships of my navies have been mostly for looks so far. There were a couple of occasions that they made good gun fodder. So; Sailor King I am not.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

lenin

Post by lenin »

Good luck to you Maestro. pbem is the way to play this game, and we have a tight group of reliable players at the moment. I just love all the rhetoric, the untrustworthiness and the betrayal. Have fun! If you read George RR Martins' books, you will live in this game, but get used to a higher level of intrigue and treachery and betrayal!

Feel free to contact me if anyone drops out, but hopefully you have eight here.

Please post some screenshots of how you are all doing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1q9Ntc ... re=related

Am I allowed to do that? Sorry if not, but it's a safe link!

Aux Armes Citoyens!
"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"
IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

Original post updated with tentative list... looks like we're making headway.

Pete and Peter, you guys interested? Couldn't tell.

Welcome to the fray, 06 Maestro. Good to see the pbem base growing. [8D]

Now we all need to decide who plays who. I think Matto should get first pick... as for me- I'll take any side (I've been hogging France long enough :D).

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

Here we go... new game with patch 1.0.9

The Generals mod seemed to work well for me this evening. I played Spain and France for a few years each.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Opponents Wanted”