Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alpha Company: Iraq Diary

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Alpha Company: Iraq Diary Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 4:44:14 AM   
KG Erwin

This is an interesting TV documentary series on a Marine Recon Company involved in the Iraq War. The focus is on the mission, NOT the politics. It is being shown on the Military Channel. These guys know their jobs and are thoroughly professional. Sure, the cultural differences are obvious, but deep down these are the same US Marines that have fought in any other war of the previous century. I recommend that you try to catch an episode.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/22/2009 4:46:27 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 4:50:32 AM   
Jeffrey H.

I've tried to find that one on DVD but I can't seem to get it.

I did get the Generation Kill series and that was pretty good.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 4:57:33 AM   
KG Erwin

Jeffrey H, remember this: Generation Kill is a fictional series. Alpha Company is about real life Marines. See this page: http://military.discovery.com/tuneins/alpha-company.html

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/22/2009 4:59:44 AM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 5:08:57 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Well, it's not a real fiction in the normal sense. It wasn't a pure documentary either. It was more of a representation of the book, which was an embedded reporters story, first person.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 5:26:42 AM   
KG Erwin

But you ARE able to tell the difference, aren't you? Alpha Company is real. Generation Kill isn't.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 5
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 5:28:40 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Well, it's not a real fiction in the normal sense. It wasn't a pure documentary either. It was more of a representation of the book, which was an embedded reporters story, first person.

And that reporter was in the serie too. Generation Kill was aired around here just recently and I watched every episode of it. I know it's still made with actors, but hey, how close it comes the reality?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 6
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 7:41:24 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

But you ARE able to tell the difference, aren't you? Alpha Company is real. Generation Kill isn't.

Oh sure, I get what you mean. actors vs. soldiers, sets vs. real time, scripts vs. uncripted scenes etc.. That part is obvious. If you're trying to imply that GK the series misrepresents the reporters first person perspective, I'd disagree.

But Alpha co is harder to get on DVD. I need to check on Netflix again.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/22/2009 7:43:13 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

And that reporter was in the serie too. Generation Kill was aired around here just recently and I watched every episode of it. I know it's still made with actors, but hey, how close it comes the reality?

I think the series was faithful to the book. I want to believe the book was faithful to the events witnessed by the author.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 8
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/24/2009 4:47:15 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

I think the series was faithful to the book. I want to believe the book was faithful to the events witnessed by the author.

Few things don't seem to match: when platoon was ambushed by Zeus AAMG and one man is in the road directing helicopter attack on it without any cover... Wouldn't it been better to get done from cover of the vehicle, like behind of front tire & engine cowling? If I can think that while watching it, certainly well trained marine should too.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 5/24/2009 4:49:43 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/24/2009 5:08:21 PM   
Sarge

quote:

The 1st suicide battalion has said otherwise , I’ll take their word for it.......

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 10
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/25/2009 5:43:29 PM   
Kuokkanen

The... WHAT?

MekWars

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 11
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/25/2009 11:28:02 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

The 1st suicide battalion has said otherwise , I’ll take their word for it.......

They have said otherwise to what ?

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 12
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/26/2009 12:45:35 AM   
Sarge

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wright’s description of the events and his use of creativity has been respectively disagreed with by personal that shared the experience , it’s a story told to you by a Rolling Stone beat writer, don‘t read it as if it was a official AAR.

If I use your example ,Audie Murphy played himself in To Hell And Back so it must be faithful view of his experience………….

It’s a fantastic series enjoy it for what it is....

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 13
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/26/2009 1:42:15 PM   
JudgeDredd

I read that the series was given acclaim by the members of the unit? Go figure.

Note, I'm not suggesting ALL members of the unit thought it was a faithful representation.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 14
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/26/2009 7:28:59 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wright’s description of the events and his use of creativity has been respectively disagreed with by personal that shared the experience , it’s a story told to you by a Rolling Stone beat writer, don‘t read it as if it was a official AAR.

If I use your example ,Audie Murphy played himself in To Hell And Back so it must be faithful view of his experience………….

It’s a fantastic series enjoy it for what it is....

Well as with all first person recollections, they are highly subjective. But there is no intent to mislead anyone about the nature of the source.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: Alpha Company: Iraq Diary - 5/26/2009 7:33:01 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I read that the series was given acclaim by the members of the unit? Go figure.

Note, I'm not suggesting ALL members of the unit thought it was a faithful representation.

Before the series was released, there was a pre-screening at camp pendelton for the marines. A radio station interviewed marines as they came out of the theater after watching the pre-screening. Their comments were supportive and positive.

There is some internet controversy about the portrait of some of the officers but you'd have to expect that because there are always multiple sides to the story.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Alpha Company: Iraq Diary Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI