Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Name This AE...313

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Name This AE...313 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 6:44:16 PM   
Brady

???

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depends on our point of view
Post #: 1
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 7:36:27 PM   
Long Lance

I don't know.
What I know is that the guy in the forerground enters a horrible world of pain if he fires his rifle now .

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 2
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 7:48:55 PM   
Local Yokel

Chinese troops?  The machine gun looks as though it may be a ZB 30, which was maunfactured under licence by the Chinese Nationalists, I believe.

Is that water or mud they are wading through?

(in reply to Long Lance)
Post #: 3
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 8:41:30 PM   
Footslogger

troops getting a bath?

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 4
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 8:53:46 PM   
witpqs

I think they're Japanese. And the two guys humping the front end of the two LMG's will be learning lip-reading if the landing becomes opposed.

Post #: 5
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 9:19:21 PM   
Feinder

Is it just me, or is holding the barrel of a LMG seem like a really bad idea?  My guess is, that gets kinda warm, pretty quick.

To say nothing about the having a that thing discharge not 6 inches from your ear.  Maybe he's already deaf, and doesn't care.  But his buddy behind him, looks like he's got his finger on the trigger and ready to go.  And there's another LMG section another 20 yds beyond them, in the same set-up.

Is that really the way it's done?  That would just suck to have to be bone-head in the front.

-F-

(* I was thinking the same thing witps *)

< Message edited by Feinder -- 5/9/2009 9:22:33 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 9:44:47 PM   
stuman

Surely to goodness that 2 man machinegun setup is just for a photo op. Seems impossible for that arrangement to really work, for all the reasons stated.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 7
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/9/2009 10:40:06 PM   
rjopel

Well the guidance when I was a 11B for improvisied air defense was to have the asst gunner to hold the bipod over his head in order to get proper eleavation.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 8
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/10/2009 1:27:13 AM   
Mark VII

If they are Chinese or Japanese, I'm sure the CO does't give a &hit about the ear of the assistant gunner of those machine gun teams! "You are the assistant gunner and this is your job during a river crossing. Get used to it."

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feinder

Is it just me, or is holding the barrel of a LMG seem like a really bad idea?  My guess is, that gets kinda warm, pretty quick.

To say nothing about the having a that thing discharge not 6 inches from your ear.  Maybe he's already deaf, and doesn't care.  But his buddy behind him, looks like he's got his finger on the trigger and ready to go.  And there's another LMG section another 20 yds beyond them, in the same set-up.

Is that really the way it's done?  That would just suck to have to be bone-head in the front.

-F-

(* I was thinking the same thing witps *)

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 9
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/10/2009 2:07:25 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Chinese troops?  The machine gun looks as though it may be a ZB 30, which was maunfactured under licence by the Chinese Nationalists, I believe.

Is that water or mud they are wading through?

Definately Chinese troops given the rifles, LMGs and equipment. I'm guessing they are wading/advancing through a flooded rice paddy. Either that or one very shallow river.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 10
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/10/2009 3:50:37 AM   
m10bob

Chinese, staged pic. Closest rifle is an older model Mauser 98.....

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/10/2009 4:02:18 AM   
Anthropoid

Nice spacing between troopers though!

Looks like a flooded river.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 12
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/10/2009 5:51:16 AM   
juliet7bravo

Chinese regulars from the NRA/KMT putting on a dog/pony show/photo op.  Probably a flood plain and not a rice paddy; no dikes, and the water's running fairly fast.  I suspect the LMG team shown in the foreground is actually part of a squad/section that is deployed to the front/left (and outside of) of the photo's perspective.  Looks like the NRA/KMT (at least in this instance) used an 10 man squad (1 x LMG, 9 x rifles) as shown in the rear of the pic, instead of the more usual 14 man squad.  Unless the TO&E for this particular unit had 2 x LMGs assigned to each squad...

Weapons;
Hanyang 88 (Chinese produced copy of Mauser 88)
Type 26 LMG (Chinese produced copy of ZB vz26 LMG)or a Czech manufactured ZB vz26

Nothing wrong with firing off the Assistant Gunner's (AG) shoulder/AG holding the bipod to give the gunner a steady firing position.  Doctrinally correct IIRC.  Better than trying to stand unaided in mud/running water and playing Rambo by firing from the hip.

Where's the AG's weapon?

< Message edited by juliet7bravo -- 5/10/2009 6:57:55 AM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 13
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/10/2009 11:28:51 AM   
Terminus

Probably doesn't have one, seeing as how they're Chinese. The MG-over-the-shoulder-thing was used by everyone. I've seen a pic of a German machinegunner firing his MG-34 over his assistant's shoulder in Russia.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to juliet7bravo)
Post #: 14
RE: Name This AE...313 - 5/10/2009 7:12:16 PM   
Brady

Hanyang 88 (Chinese produced copy of Mauser 88), it is

ZB vz 26 LMG (or Chinese Built Vershion), it is

Yellow River area

< Message edited by Brady -- 5/10/2009 7:19:44 PM >

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depends on our point of view

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Name This AE...313 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI